Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

First Service (5K) coming up on Tuesday...some issues!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by abacon09
I had a similar issue when my ibis white Q5 showed up to the dealer. Since these cars are transported on both trains and the back of car-transport trucks, the rust spots are likely just contaminants off of the rusting train/truck transferred when it rained. In my experience a proper claying of the car solved this issue. It took a little elbow grease but it all came off. Good luck.
I got mine in Germany, drove it for 2 months, then had it shipped back to the US privately...so this sounds like it could have merit! It went on a ship in a cargo container from Bremerhaven to Port Heuneme!

Shouldn't the clear coat prevent this?
Old 11-06-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RCM09
Claying just shears off the particle but still leaves the contaminants in your paint.You need this...http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-iron-x-cleaner.html
I'll check this out f the dealer doesn't take care of it...

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check your windscreen for tiny bits too. They tear into the wiper blades before you even see them. It can be caused by a person using an angle grinder near even ~ thirty feet away from the vehicle. The molton hot metal shards bury into anything they touch... if that is the cause, lets hope not. They can take months to start to rust.
I hope you werent near any workshop or construction sites or bad neighbors.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Check your windscreen for tiny bits too. They tear into the wiper blades before you even see them. It can be caused by a person using an angle grinder near even ~ thirty feet away from the vehicle. The molton hot metal shards bury into anything they touch... if that is the cause, lets hope not. They can take months to start to rust.
I hope you werent near any workshop or construction sites or bad neighbors.
They just tore about 70% of the house directly across the street from me, and now are in the process of rebuilding it...other than that I can't think of anything other than the ocean air from living on an island. (These are the people who have the same Q5 as I do...)

We've only lived here since Sept 1st., and the rusty spots showed up about 3 weeks ago...could that be it?
Old 11-08-2011, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dreamaudi
I got mine in Germany, drove it for 2 months, then had it shipped back to the US privately...so this sounds like it could have merit! It went on a ship in a cargo container from Bremerhaven to Port Heuneme!

Shouldn't the clear coat prevent this?
it's not the actual car rusting it's the particles that have attached themselves to the car rusting. a clay bar will take care of it.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tosten
Haven't picked my car yet. I'm purchasing out of state. Like you didn't hear great things about miramar. Carlsbad is out of the way, but I'd rather deal with a good service department and they'll give me a loaner even though I'm not buying from them.
First visit with Hoehn, and the customer service was awesome! I *may* have mentioned that I belong to a forum, and drove out of my way to avoid a different service dept!

They checked me in, told me they would do my 5K service, do an update for the tranny, fix my seat rattle, and check out the paint! They asked if they could keep my car and gave me a new A4 loaner! I was in and out in less than 15 minutes...

Very efficient and thorough!
Old 11-08-2011, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rs4-380
it's not the actual car rusting it's the particles that have attached themselves to the car rusting. a clay bar will take care of it.
I'm going to have to talk (pay) someone else into doing it for me..lol
Old 11-09-2011, 04:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dreamaudi
First visit with Hoehn, and the customer service was awesome! I *may* have mentioned that I belong to a forum, and drove out of my way to avoid a different service dept!

They checked me in, told me they would do my 5K service, do an update for the tranny, fix my seat rattle, and check out the paint! They asked if they could keep my car and gave me a new A4 loaner! I was in and out in less than 15 minutes...

Very efficient and thorough!

Good to hear. Only 10 more days until I pick mine up.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tosten
Good to hear. Only 10 more days until I pick mine up.
...and find (invent) odd errands so you can drive your new car!