Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Help! .. Q5 or A4?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! .. Q5 or A4?

I am looking for a little advice from current Audi owners on which model they think fits my needs better. I'm considering purchasing an Audi (my first one) and without yet driving one but having done significant research on them I think I have it narrowed down to two models. First off, I put a fair amount of miles on my cars 17-25K per year so I am looking for something that is reliable and dependable and will accept the pile up of miles and not need constant service. I also want to be able to pass at highway speeds with ease. I'm open to a 4 or 6 cylinder engine but I don't want to feel the traditional drag of the engine when the AC is turned on. I need AWD or 4WD since I live in a cold weather climate and I travel in snowy conditions often. ... I'm looking at the A4 and the Q5. I would be leasing with plans to purchase the vehicle after the lease is up so I lan on owning for 5-7 years. I need something that will stand the test of time and mileage. ..... I realize that the Q5 is an SUV and the A5 a sedan but I'm open to either since the purchase price after the lease is almost identical. .... Any thoughts or advice is appreciated!! I would especially like to hear from anyone who has racked up a lot of miles on a later model.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Audi is probably the wrong brand for you, lol.

Go with Japanese instead.

Originally Posted by Vanrocco
I am looking for something that is reliable and dependable and will accept the pile up of miles and not need constant service.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NMW1982
Audi is probably the wrong brand for you, lol.

Go with Japanese instead.

NMW,

How many miles you actually drive?

How many cars you have actually owned?

If you are once of those mommy and daddy's spoiled brat who is mouthing here without actual experience and even making yourself enough money to buy one then keep your mouth shot wud ya until the day when you finally contribute knowledge here.

Vanrocco,

I have owned VW's, Audi's, Mercedes, Beemers, Volvo's, few Chevrolet and Dodge trucks, Fiat, Toyota's, Mitzu's and even Mazda's.

I drive about 40 000 miles a year and here is few members who drive even more than I.

I'm truly happy with my Q5 and I have not found an Japanese car that would come close to it and I would like it.

I had A4 sedan loaner when mine was on scheduled service, later I had chance to drive Avant Quattro and I probably would buy one if I would have money to throw in.

The biggest difference after Q5 was that I felt my butt was dragging the pavement as in A4 driver sits sooooo low.

If you need space in trunk and don't need ground clearance then get A4 Avant Quattro.

If you need better ground clearance and "moderate" trunk is enough then get Q5.

Last edited by kleinbus; 10-25-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2010, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. .... I don't need the extra space but with a 9 year old son who plays sports it could always come in handy. I'm not too concerned about handling. I'm more concerned with reliability and which engine will be able to take the abuse of mileage better. Reliability, dependability quality and engine longevity are my most important factors. I drive an SUV (8 cyl Jeep Grand Cherokee) now so I'm used to the way an SUV rides but I'm not opposed to driving a sedan.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine March 2009 and now have 42000 miles on it.

In 3 weeks I will take non-stop 1200 miles haul to Utah (ok will stop for gas and restroom) and towing trailer on whole trip so mine gets beaten up very well so that should speak for durability...

Car buying is a crap shot as with any band you can end up owning bad unit and like few members here have said, it is all about dealer and how dealer takes care of you.

Me, I'm gonna shut up and go drive more.....
Old 10-25-2010, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Vanrocco
Thanks for the replies. .... I don't need the extra space but with a 9 year old son who plays sports it could always come in handy. I'm not too concerned about handling. I'm more concerned with reliability and which engine will be able to take the abuse of mileage better. Reliability, dependability quality and engine longevity are my most important factors. I drive an SUV (8 cyl Jeep Grand Cherokee) now so I'm used to the way an SUV rides but I'm not opposed to driving a sedan.
I went from an '01 A4 to a '10 Q5. I drove a '11 A4 loaner for 5 days...just so you know where my perspective comes from.

I love my Q5. I wouldn't trade it for anything else. But if you're looking for reliability, dependability and be able to drive it a lot. I'd suggest the A4 Avant.

1) You get much better mileage with the A4 because of the lower weight and Cd. The 2.0T A4 got me 37mpg on the highway (according to the trip computer).

2) The A4 2.0T has a 0-60 of ~6secs, while the Q5 2.0T is ~7.0.

3) The A4 came out a little earlier than the Q5, so you can assume Audi's got a little more time to work the kinks. However, the two cars share a lot of part so take that for what it's worth.

4) The A4 is thousands cheaper than the Q5.

5) A4 Avant has more luggage space.

6) Lower center of gravity means better driveability, even on the snow.

Downsides?
A4 has a cramped back seat, and a little more cramped overall.
You see more A4s on the road as Q5s
If you get a lot of snow (like me), the lower ground clearance on an A4 could be a problem.
Old 10-25-2010, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Vanrocco, yeah, don't listen to NMW, he hangs around the site just to add his experience-less comments.

Anyway, back to your question, I actually own both of the vehicles you are considering although my current A4 is a 2006. It is my second A4. I purchased a 99 A4 new and after 120K miles of great performance purchased another one. My 06 now has 60K miles on it and is doing great. All 4 cylinder engines. I think Audi makes a fantastic 4 cylinder which provide great performance and excellent fuel economy. You really have to look at your lifestyle to determine which one is for you and what you are looking for out of a car. The A4 (mine is an s-line with a 6 speed manual) is a car and behaves like one. The Q5, although a crossover, provides you that extra utility and ground clearence. Do you drive in snow? All things you have to consider. Both great vehicles.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Japanese car= soft shell crabs. Never buying another one in my lifetime. I have seen too many accidents involving japanese cars including some I have been involved in and if they happen to hit a european car, tree or a telephone pole, the japanese car is gone and the passengers most likely with it. Talked to a body shop owner when my Touareg was hit by a drunk dude on the street to find out that German cars can only be fixed by some specific shops because their frame use stronger harder steel and cannot be bent like Japanese and US cars and require special tools.
Anyway back on the original subject, as mentioned on a recent thread, if you have kids, the Q5 is probably the better choice. The A4 Avant is about the same price as the Q5. Not 1000s cheaper. The gas mileage is about 10% better in average for the A4 if we believe the EPA specifications. The trunk space appear about the same to me just shaped differently. For the rest I agree with Zaki626.
I actually faced the exact same dilemma and ended up with a Q5.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

A4 avant 2.0T quattro Vs Q5 2.0T Stronic (ALL European figures)
Boot space (min ltr) A4= 490 Vs Q5= 540
Boot space (max ltr) A4= 1430 Vs Q5= 1560
0-60 mph (secs) A4= 6.7 Vs Q5= 7.2

Town mpg A4= 28.8 Vs Q5= 27.4
Out of town mpg A4= 46.3 Vs Q5= 41.5
Average mpg A4= 37.7 Vs Q5= 34.9

Measurements in CM
Q5
http://cdn.images.whatcar.com/delive.../659961562.jpg
http://cdn.images.whatcar.com/delive.../659960400.jpg
http://cdn.images.whatcar.com/delive.../659961221.jpg
A4
http://cdn.images.whatcar.com/delive...6599553392.jpg
http://cdn.images.whatcar.com/delive...6599551370.jpg
http://cdn.images.whatcar.com/delive...6599552341.jpg

Last edited by the-oneil; 10-26-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Guess your gas mileage unit are using UK gallons?

Quick Reply: Help! .. Q5 or A4?