Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

How long will you keep your Q5

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '16 (bought in August '15) is my DD/beater. I'll probably keep it until I get bored with it. Which is why I used to lease everything, it kept me locked in for 3 years and provided the "self control" that I don't have when coming to flipping cars lol

I don't think I'll get another audi, or any German car for that matter (i've had 4 X5's over the years), mostly because my commute has changed and I don't need an expensive commuter car.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just in case our TDI scandal does not resolve favorably . . . I think we will see if we cannot get into another one? Though we love the Range Rover Sport, they are a tad pricey at this point in our lives. But, they put the diesel in the Discovery. Yeah, I know, they are not quite as sleek, but the new design is a lot better, and the wife doesn't have enough room for all her crap in our Q5, I mean all that important stuff she hauls around regularly and this solves that problem too. Regardless, I am not ready to give up on TDI yet.

2017 Land Rover Discovery HSE | Land Rover USA
Old 03-06-2017, 01:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Yeap,
I know what you mean. I have both a CR-V 2013 (wifes) and a Q5 2009. CR-V has more boot space than Q5.

However having said the above, if you move the Q5 rear seats vertically then the boot space gets bigger. Having 3 kids this is satisfactory for most of the journey times. Have you tried it?

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-06-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll continue driving my Q5 TDI for years. I've owned lots of cars and light trucks but none please me as much as a VWAG TDI.

I loved the VW 2.0 TDI. The Audi 3.0 TDI is much better. There is nothing on the market within or above my price range that interests me.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This segment is rapidly growing and so competitive that keeping my Q for more than 2/3 years will be tough. The common competition from BMW X3 and MBA GLC are fine, but I have personally preferred Audi's styling. However, this is changing with the MLB platform. Just look at the new Q7's exterior. The new Q5 doesn't look much better than the old one despite making it more "edgy/sharper". The new exterior design language is not head and shoulders above the competition anymore.
The new competition from Jaguar/Land Rover and Alfa Romeo are refreshing despite their assumed reliability issues. The new Velar from LR, the F-Pace and the Stelvio are compelling alternatives.
I'll be back in the market next year and it will be interesting indeed...only if the SQ5 TDI were available in this part of the world, it'd be my #1 choice

Last edited by Ray_QT; 03-06-2017 at 02:31 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

IIRC the Q5's undramatic makeover was because this is end-of-platform time, with something all new due next year. No car maker wastes effort on major changes to a platform they are about to cut. So this year, new Q7, next year Q5, the year after that...whatever else is getting long in the tooth.

BMW seems to have lost their way. But even in the first year the X3 came out, it was panned by all the reviewers, who have panned it pretty much ever since. A friend of mine bought one of the first X3's. Front seat cup-holder was "in" the AC vent, and a passenger climbing in could almost be guaranteed to kneecap it and break it, or spoil whatever was in it. The spare tire was UNDER the car, but had to be dropped from inside, under the load floor, still requiring the rear to be emptied out. And the jack clipped in so cleverly that the plastic clips had to be broken off to remove it. While the webbing strap that doubly restrained the spare was so tight, it begged to be cut. Then there was the empty battery box under the hood--because the battery had been moved to where the spare should have been, under the load floor. About four trips to the dealer for rattles, rear gate, rear seat, other unimpressive "No really, is this a BMW or a KIA?" kind of stuff.

I think a lot of newcomers (like the Koreans) are going to steal a lot of market share, because they are TRYING HARDER. Like updating their electronics, instead of using eight or ten year old technology for music players. Tata's F-Pace being only one example of what hungry companies can do. The new Volvo's (Geely?) being another.

So far the only technology that really impresses me as being "better" and innovative in my Q5? Is using the ABS counters instead of TPS sensors that need batteries conveniently installed inside the wheel rims. And that's been a bit disappointing too--it won't say WHICH tire is low, and it doesn't say anything until it is VERY low. Others will show PSI in each tire, one by one.

All three Germans seem to have been losing their way. Losing their edge. Losing their quality ratings, year after year, as well. Kind of a shame to see them making the same mistakes that Detroit made when it lost the US market in the 80's.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

^^You make good points. And add to that taking a great engine, the TDI, and blowing an entire market forever by cheating with it.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I could write a list why Audi Q5 was not great in the first 1-2 years of production due to reliability concerns (transmission, oil consumption, low speed shudder, etc)

I could write a list what Audi has done to improve Q5 in later modes (transmission inline filter pipeline revision, pistons and conrods, power steering hose, crown differential etc, firmware updates for ECM, TCM, Electrical Updates, Radio firmware support 32gb SD-Card, 12 Volt socket charging fix, and many others)

I could write a huge list why Audi Q5 is a great SUV especially the 2.0l TFSi 211-225bhp.

I could write a list about aftermarket parts (intercooler options, K04 turbo by APR, APR Cat downpipe) which increase the power of Q5 to more than 300hp.

I could write a list about DIY/retrofit additions to your Q5 (drive select, power tail gate, bluetooth same as original by Kufatec, original licence plate led kit, keyless start/Kessy, reverse/backup camera etc).

I could write a list about VCDs improvements I have done to my Audi Q5, including enabling TPMS (Deflation warning system), battery status, oil temp, efficiency, lap timer, fog lights as corner lights etc.

I could write my biggest let down by Audi for Q5 (2009-2012), which definitely it is not cargo space or reliability concern (bcs Audi took care of it), but XDS (extended Electronic Differential Lock for Torque Vectoring) which was never offered as an ESP firmware update on Q5 quattro.

I could write a list why ERWIN is a great offering by Audi (you can also download the repair manual for your Q5, and find most TPIs applicable for your car)

I would have preferred that my Q5 did not consume 11-12 l/100km. I don't have any fuel saving technologies installed, so this is an issue.

All these factors can create reasons why one and why another will keep their Audi for longer or shorter periods, due to TECHNOLOGY IMPROVEMENTS from generation to generation but also from standard package to other added feature options offered during purchase.

However having said the above, I will keep my Q5 for 20 years. This is my aim. Audi Q5 is the greatest SUV of all time. This is the reason Audi cannot improve its appearance since 2009-2012 MY. You basically get the same design with some technology improvements.

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-07-2017 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Almost at 196,000 miles on my 2010 Q5, and have no idea what to get if I should get the itch to replace it. It has been a great car, and still going strong.

I sat in the new F-Pace at the auto show. Didn't seam up to the Jaguar quality. Felt very plasticky and cheap. The X5 was very comfortable, but by the time I price it out the way I like, it is very pricy. Maybe I will go away from a CUV.

Just this past week in Florida, I rented a Caddilac ATS sedan. I was quite impressed. The Caddy's will definitely be on my interest list.

Maybe I'll get a new SQ5? I always like change with each car, but this one has been so great, maybe I'll go to something similar. I really am at a loss of what to get if this car ever dies. I like my current Q5 that much.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the scandal turns out OK with performance and mpg stability, we will likely keep this a while since we just had our 35K service and have had almost NO problems but I am going to have to go at least drive one of these if I can find one . . . you know, so I can eventually be involved in another TDI scandal with a different company later on. Plus more room for all of the wife's crap, I mean all of her completely necessary and important cargo [the only thing she doesn't like about the Q5]

2017 Land Rover Discovery - 7-Passenger SUV | Land Rover USA

Truthfully, as you all already know ad nauseam by now, I love this TDI technology. And, I admit the older and sicker I get, the less offroading really matters but between the farm and the cabin we do still do it [and I ain't talking about dirt roads]. I do miss underbody shielding, lockable diffs, and 4 corner air [perhaps equally miss 4 corner air on the road too] and, since I admit I use my Tacoma more on the farm these days, going to the cabin will still happen in whatever SUV we own as long as I'm breathin' [perhaps should say "as long as I'm able to breathe at 9000 ft? . . . or more?]

Damn Vandals: Hurricane Pass near Ouray [getting there is fun!]