Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

If I get my Q5 before road trip, what "prep" should I do? VAGCOM essentials? Nav/MP3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I'm not sure we're understanding one another fully. Let try again...

I understand the Q5 has an "electromechanical parking brake" which is engaged/disengaged by a switch next to the gear shifter. This is the same as we have on our VW Tiguan. I also understand that the Q5 has Hill Assist which works via the ABS/hydraulic system.

When reviewing the VCDS tweaks, I noticed on that says:
"Enable Release Parking Brake without putting seatbelt"

I assume that description is for different behavior than stock. If indeed that is different, it would mean that stock behavior requires you to put on your seatbelt before releasing the parking brake.

I assumed this was talking about the Electromechanical Parking Brake. Are you saying that it applies instead to the Hill Assist brakes?

In either case, what is the thing the car will prevent you from doing without your seatbelt on?
- If it's for the electromechanical one, I assume when you press the button, it won't release the brake.
- If it's for the Hill Assist, I'm not sure what would happen - would it not let you shift into gear, or not let you drive after you're already in gear?

If it applies only to the Hill Assist, those seem like non-intuitive times to restrict the driver from doing something. I could understand it better if it prevented the driver from disengaging the electromechanical parking brake.

Bottom line, I was just trying to understand what will happen if I get in my stock Q5 and try to drive without my seatbelt. What will the car prevent me from doing?

For the record, I always drive with my seatbelt, and just found this controllable option as a strange one in the bunch, so it made me curious.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 355 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
I understand the Q5 has an "electromechanical parking brake" which is engaged/disengaged by a switch next to the gear shifter. This is the same as we have on our VW Tiguan. I also understand that the Q5 has Hill Assist which works via the ABS/hydraulic system.

When reviewing the VCDS tweaks, I noticed on that says:
"Enable Release Parking Brake without putting seatbelt"

I assume that description is for different behavior than stock. If indeed that is different, it would mean that stock behavior requires you to put on your seatbelt before releasing the parking brake.

I assumed this was talking about the Electromechanical Parking Brake. Are you saying that it applies instead to the Hill Assist brakes?

In either case, what is the thing the car will prevent you from doing without your seatbelt on?
- If it's for the electromechanical one, I assume when you press the button, it won't release the brake.
- If it's for the Hill Assist, I'm not sure what would happen - would it not let you shift into gear, or not let you drive after you're already in gear?

If it applies only to the Hill Assist, those seem like non-intuitive times to restrict the driver from doing something. I could understand it better if it prevented the driver from disengaging the electromechanical parking brake.

Bottom line, I was just trying to understand what will happen if I get in my stock Q5 and try to drive without my seatbelt. What will the car prevent me from doing?

For the record, I always drive with my seatbelt, and just found this controllable option as a strange one in the bunch, so it made me curious.
Audi hold assist

Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by spijun
Audi hold assist

Oh thanks, I see the mention of seatbelt in there. Thank you so much! I forgot/didn't know there was a button to enable AHA. So now I understand that lack of seatbelt will prevent you from putting AHA into standby mode. Thanks!
Old 08-27-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AHA is not on the US Q5.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Thanks, that explains the lack of replies to my question here
Old 08-28-2013, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark P
I added V1 Hardwire, Clearbra install, and wax to the list
Do you already have Savvy from V1? If not--check it out, plugs into the OBD port and auto mutes alerts under a set speed (you control, up to 50 MPH I think). I'm using it with the BOB (brown out booster) to eliminate some wiring and the annoyance of a V1 start-up everytime the auto start of the Q5 kicks in--it is essentially a voltage regulator.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by B8Fish
Do you already have Savvy from V1? If not--check it out, plugs into the OBD port and auto mutes alerts under a set speed (you control, up to 50 MPH I think). I'm using it with the BOB (brown out booster) to eliminate some wiring and the annoyance of a V1 start-up everytime the auto start of the Q5 kicks in--it is essentially a voltage regulator.
I did see it but haven't picked one up yet. What's the BOB? Link? I guess once I read about it, I'll understand how that would impact wiring elimination. But most importantly I think you just said that the Start/Stop feature cycles the ACC power everytime it starts? Ouch, that would suck. Yes, please tell me more!
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The start/stop does not really shut off the ACC "ports" (I was using the lighter adapter in front of the shift ****), but the momentary drop in current was enough to cause the V1 to sense an issue and thus do a restart. I dont know if that will happen with a dedicated connection through the fuse box....the brown out booster is V1's answer to the auto start/stop feature--apparently this is a common issue as the feature becomes more prevalent. I tried just the Savvy at first--and it prevents the start/stop issue for short intervals, but not for longer stops (like a stoplight). I have looked at upgrading the V1--but I like it too much! The Savvy module is a good compromise to eliminate having to hit the mute through all the parking lots/auto doors etc. I was incorrect before--you can set the speed at up to 65 MPH--this is the speed at which it will auto mute the alert for you after the initial beep--I really like it so far (4 days and counting!)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

[QUOTE=Mark P;24481618]I did see it but haven't picked one up yet. What's the BOB? Link?
http://www.valentine1.com/v1info/bob.asp
Old 08-28-2013, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtwagon941
AHA is not on the US Q5.
I'm not sure I believe this. My 2013 Hybrid Q5 does this (holds the car in place on an incline until you pull away). Not talking about engaging the e-brake switch - though it supports that too.

Quick Reply: If I get my Q5 before road trip, what "prep" should I do? VAGCOM essentials? Nav/MP3?