Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Installing a rear fog light in US Spec Q5

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a rear fog light in US Spec Q5

Wondering if there’s any information out there on retrofitting a rear fog light?

I want to have it look OEM so I’ll need to replace the switch on the dash and whatever else is needed in the rear light fixture so I'm looking for part numbers and whatever else I can get
Old 02-07-2012, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmurf
Wondering if there’s any information out there on retrofitting a rear fog light?

I want to have it look OEM so I’ll need to replace the switch on the dash and whatever else is needed in the rear light fixture so I'm looking for part numbers and whatever else I can get
but it already exists?
Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've not actually seen a US spec Q5. The Audi Militay Sales program is a joke so I've only seen/driven European Spec vehicles and I've been told that I'd need to add the rear fog light but I guess I'll add this to the long list of misinformation I've been provided! Thanks!
Old 02-08-2012, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'll ask a guy I work with After lunch he has a US Spec Q5.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

its there already my friend,
Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

I also just went outside and looked at my friends US Spec Q5 and he has the same switch and light as my German Spec Q5. His car is registered under the US military to but he didn't have to make any modifications to his Q5 to get it legal. I'm guessing you are under a NATO base that has more Inspection rules that regular DOD bases.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What joke? You don't save money by purchasing on the economy... The Q5 starts at 34850 euros base in Germany. That's about 46k give or take. Where are you located?
Old 02-08-2012, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Correct, in Belgium, we have to pass the host nation's "Contrôle technique" which, unlike in Gernany where the bases have their own watered down version of the TÜV inspection, we have to go down town and use the host nation/national test centers. The funny thing is that the roads are so bad here, they really have no business inspecting cars which their road distroy!
Old 02-08-2012, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aboveliquidice
What joke? You don't save money by purchasing on the economy... The Q5 starts at 34850 euros base in Germany. That's about 46k give or take. Where are you located?
Yes, the military sales program would save you money as opposed to buying on the economy however, that's not the issue as you can't compair US prices to European prices or US Spec vehicles to European Spec vehicles. You have to compair like for like so you have to compair the "Audi USA" military sales program with the "Audi USA" standard sales program, i.e. buying from a US Audi dealer.

The military sales program is not about getting you a discount in relation to buying on the economy, it's about giving you an opertunity to buy a US spec car while stationed overseas. You may, and likely will, get a discount when compaired to the price you would pay back in the US. Audi get the same price for the car, but as you are not buying from a standard dealer, you don't pay the dealer mark up. The discount also comes from not having to pay the sales tax at the time of purchase, the proverbial "tax free vehicle" however, there really is no such thing as you will pay the sales tax or use tax when you take the vehicle back to the US and have to title it in the state you are living in. You could win a European spec car is a raffle (get it for free) but you could not take it back to the US with you, you can't import a non US spec car to the US.

I can't get into other issues at this time but the Audi military sales program is a joke mostly because Audi USA have nothing to do with it.

Last edited by dtmurf; 02-08-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aboveliquidice
Also that base price is before any options. No Package deals in Germany everything is an option and individual cost. My German Spec Q5 came out to 55,000 euro ($72,000).

Correct, in Belgium, we have to pass the host nation's "Contrôle technique" which, unlike in Gernany where the bases have their own watered down version of the TÜV inspection, we have to go down town and use the host nation/national test centers. The funny thing is that the roads are so bad here, they really have no business inspecting cars which their road distroy!
I used to have a friend that was stationed in Belgium that I raced with quite alot over on Spa. He had quite a few issues with getting his car inspected in Belgium.

Quick Reply: Installing a rear fog light in US Spec Q5