Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Looking into SQ5 Tire Replacement with 265/40R21s

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 06:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another tire to consider is the newly announced Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV. Just announced at Geneva and supposedly will be available in the US in May according to Michelin. Will be available in the stock 255/40/21 size. I'm due for new tires now but may keep the all seasons on a little longer to get a feel for these vs the Pilot Sport 4S in 265 section width.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

From some site I had to translate
The new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV replaces the Michelin Latitude Sport 3 and can fit all ranges of compact SUVs and 4 × 4s, medium, premium and sports , the latter in
strong growth. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV is developed in collaboration with the most demanding manufacturers providing high comfort and driving pleasure, as well as safety on dry and wet roads. Michelin has managed to combine all these performances by applying the technologies deriving from the world of competition and the lessons learned from the latest Formula E tires. Michelin Pilot Sport 4 SUV was born, a sports tire adapted to the needs of sports SUVs.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Old 03-21-2019, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not coincidentally, there are a solid 22 pages(!) dedicated just to tires in the 2010 Q5 owner's manual, covering all aspects of tires and related safety in exhaustive detail.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Honestly if you are running street tires on track days you honestly don’t know what you are doing. Even the best street tires turn to slippery mush on the track (maybe pilot sport cups shaved are the exception). Everyone who spends time on the track runs slicks for a reason. I have run Kumho, Nexen, Atturo, Falken and other brands on the road and track over the years. Some are better than others. Only fools buy into the notion that Michelin, Pirelli etc are safer or are the best tire. While i currently run Yokohama on my Porsche I was very happy with Kumho Ectsa. Atturo on my SQ5 has been impressive for the price so far. And i have over 150k miles on Nexen Rodians for my Suburban. No reason to be afraid of Korean,Chinese or other Asian manufacturers....
Old 03-30-2019, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The majority of people who go to open track days are on summer tires unless they have a built race car. Obviously it's not the best but most people don't have two sets of wheels and tires unless they plan on competing. They're there to have fun with their street car not race in a league.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by turner56
The majority of people who go to open track days are on summer tires unless they have a built race car. Obviously it's not the best but most people don't have two sets of wheels and tires unless they plan on competing. They're there to have fun with their street car not race in a league.
yup plenty of those folks on the track. And typically the first ones to put their car into a barrier. You enjoy your Michelein Premier touring tires. I can’t imagine putting something like that on my SQ5. The grip on those ha got to be laughable. Definitely much better all season tires out there from Michelin/Pirelli/Yoko etc.....
Old 03-30-2019, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

IRogue Yes Michelin/Conti/Pirelli have done an excellent job of marketing their way to the top of this segment.Bridgestone,Yoko,and Toyo all make excellent tires I've used all of them and have nothing negative to say. definitely better than 2 of the 3 europeans.The other euro brand makes great tires but some better than others.I've also used Kumho & Hankook on my Alfa racecar.Both excellent.Currently I've got Bridgestone AO somethings sticky and durable.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by IRogue
yup plenty of those folks on the track. And typically the first ones to put their car into a barrier. You enjoy your Michelein Premier touring tires. I can’t imagine putting something like that on my SQ5. The grip on those ha got to be laughable. Definitely much better all season tires out there from Michelin/Pirelli/Yoko etc.....
cool story bro

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/t...b=ResultCharts
Old 03-30-2019, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'm pretty sure MOST do not take their car to any kind of track so 99% of tire talk is for everyday use.

Quick Reply: Looking into SQ5 Tire Replacement with 265/40R21s