Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Mild delay in shifting

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rough trans shifting

I gotta say once more - the 2.0T 8 speed trans is the roughest shifting, jerkyest, most difficult to drive smooth transmissions in any car I have ever owned. I am scheduled for a trip to the dealer for a passenger seat that doesn't move anymore so I intend to complain about the shifting again. Maybe there is a TCM update which will help - but either way, I can't believe AUDI would put soemthing like this one the street.....seems alot of people are complaining.

This is my first AUDI and so far I'm not impressed.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054
I gotta say once more - the 2.0T 8 speed trans is the roughest shifting, jerkyest, most difficult to drive smooth transmissions in any car I have ever owned. I am scheduled for a trip to the dealer for a passenger seat that doesn't move anymore so I intend to complain about the shifting again. Maybe there is a TCM update which will help - but either way, I can't believe AUDI would put soemthing like this one the street.....seems alot of people are complaining.

That's what my partner thinks about the 2.0T and the 8 speed transmission in the A4 we have. He hates it. We're ordering an S5 next summer, when the new design arrives, to replace it with. I don't have as many issues with it as he does, but I will say it's jerky at low speeds if care isn't taken to provide the right finesse to it.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 11-29-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by russ0054

I had some very minor lurching in the very lowest gears...but all the rest of the shifting was incredibly smooth.

Got the update last week, and it's cured of any hesitation! We were just commenting that we have never driven a car with such smooth transition between the gears...all 8 of them!

You need to talk to your Service Manager, because something is not right! Drive their Demo...see the difference! Good luck!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Rook
What drivetrain do you have?

In our 3.2 6-speed, the 1-2 transition is not smooth when cold. It tends to hold first gear too long - under moderate throttle, where you'd expect a shift at 2-2.5k RPM, it tends to wind out to around 3.5-4k followed by a hard 1-2 upshift.

Using manual mode eliminates the problem.

Once warmed up, it performs much smoother.
I have a 3.2 6 speed too. I have the same issue as you that the 1-2 transition is not smooth in a cold engine. When I do not accelerate as much, I do not notice it. However, when I accelerate pass 3-4000rpm the shifting is harsh.

topgun77
Old 12-01-2011, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 37G1 TCM update

I had the update done today while I was at the dealer for other warranty work. Had to ask for the update.

First impression - it actually seems to feel better during the lower gear downshifts. I'm reluctant to pronounce the problem solved in view of the fact the TCM has the ability to learn (hopefully not to be bad again).

Interesting - I was given an A3 Sportwagon to drive (it's a rocket)while mine was in the shop. Seemed the throttle mapping made the car much easier to drive smooth. No "turbo explosion" when pulling away from a stop. The 2.0T is a great engine in the A3 and the trans shifts wonderfully!