Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI interface, satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default check this audi site for phone compatibility

Originally Posted by Wilson38
Music play in 2010 Q5. I have never owned an Audi, however, I recently bought a 2010 Q5 for my granddaughter’s 21st birthday. Despite the age and 73,000 miles, she loves it as do I. Hopefully it still has a lot of miles and years left. My question involves music. This car is the PrestigeTrim with Comfort package. It has a hell of a lot of bells and whistles but it does not have satellite radio. I thought satellite came standard on all of the trim packages particularly the Prestige, apparently not. Is there a way to add satellite radio to an existing radio? Also, I was told by the Audi parts person that the sound MMI interface connection in the glove box would only accept models up to the IPhone 4 and not a 5C IPhone regardless of any adaptor. The only thing to be done is anadaptor to let it play straight to the speakers without the interface or control through the system. Is this correct? Thanks for any and all input.

visit here
AUDI - Bluetooth compatible devices
Old 04-11-2016, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reference site Wanunae, it is very comprehensive and it shows the iphone 5c calls for "Ipod adapter cable". When I started on this music quest the adaptor cables were early on the list. I wound up with an Audi 30 pin to 3.5mm speaker cable adaptor, a Apple 30 pin to lighting connector adaptor, and a Bovee WMA 3000A Visera Tune 2 Air blue tooth type wireless adaptor. I probably purchased a couple of three other adaptor wires that I try to forget. All of the three type adaptors give some MMI interface, however, they all have some limitations. As it turns out, my granddaughter may not be the audiophile that I imagined, one needing to somehow be able to hear all the music stored on her Iphone. Other than occasional iphone music played, about all she needed was the satellite radio and phone call use through the regular blue tooth capabilities.
Thanks to you and others this has been a learning experience and one that I'm calling successful and one I truly appreciate.
Old 06-07-2018, 04:39 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still missing Sirius band after multiple steps taken to address.

Originally Posted by Mrclopec
If you go into the cargo area of your Q, the left (drivers side) wall is a false panel that pops off. If you remove it you will see a box that looks like the one in the auction link below. That is your Radio/Sirius module. On it is a part number. Eg 4G0... 8R0... If you tell me the part number listed on that box, I can tell you if it supports Sirius or not. Just to help rule things out.

AUDI A4 A5 A6 Q5 RADIO UNIT 4G0035082 eBay
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have just run into this issue on my 2010 Q5. Sirius band just disappeared out of the blue.

Took to dealer and they flash for free, per the 2010 TSB, an update to the MMI system. Band still did not return and they could not figure out why. Next step they suggessted was to replace the MMI unit, for the low low price of $4K. Obviously I skipped, went to eBay bought a replacement unit (8T1035664B) from a salvage yard, replaced my existing unit with the purchased unit, and the Sirius band is still absent!

Continuing down the line, all I can think of next is perhaps the issue residing in the "radio control unit" in the trunk, that per the Audi site is this part number:

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...0035053BX.html

Curious if you think this is worth pursuing or if I am SOL, as I can't think of anything else to check (they investigated antenna connection, etc). I still recieve satellite signal for GPS / Nav, so not sure how that would be the problem anyway (assuming used for both purpses).

Thanks.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JsChiSurf
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I have just run into this issue on my 2010 Q5. Sirius band just disappeared out of the blue.

Took to dealer and they flash for free, per the 2010 TSB, an update to the MMI system. Band still did not return and they could not figure out why. Next step they suggessted was to replace the MMI unit, for the low low price of $4K. Obviously I skipped, went to eBay bought a replacement unit (8T1035664B) from a salvage yard, replaced my existing unit with the purchased unit, and the Sirius band is still absent!

Continuing down the line, all I can think of next is perhaps the issue residing in the "radio control unit" in the trunk, that per the Audi site is this part number:

https://parts.audiusa.com/p/Audi_201...0035053BX.html

Curious if you think this is worth pursuing or if I am SOL, as I can't think of anything else to check (they investigated antenna connection, etc). I still recieve satellite signal for GPS / Nav, so not sure how that would be the problem anyway (assuming used for both purpses).

Thanks.
My understanding is that the amplifier and the Sirius tuner are located in the cargo area. The GPS/NAV is inside the MMI unit. So your focus should be on the Sirius tuner in the cargo area.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
My understanding is that the amplifier and the Sirius tuner are located in the cargo area. The GPS/NAV is inside the MMI unit. So your focus should be on the Sirius tuner in the cargo area.
Thanks for the quick reply. Really bugs me that they went first to the MMI unit instead if the case.

Other element is that I do still have AM/FM w/o issue (assuming also controlled via tuner in cargo area), but doesn't mean something with sirius didn't go haywire. Worth a try I suppose. I have an ODBEleven and not seeing any faults after a scan as well :-(
Old 06-07-2018, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JsChiSurf
Thanks for the quick reply. Really bugs me that they went first to the MMI unit instead if the case.

Other element is that I do still have AM/FM w/o issue (assuming also controlled via tuner in cargo area), but doesn't mean something with sirius didn't go haywire. Worth a try I suppose. I have an ODBEleven and not seeing any faults after a scan as well :-(
Before you jump ahead with this wait for some more advice. I may not have this right!
Old 06-07-2018, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by DennisMitchell
Before you jump ahead with this wait for some more advice. I may not have this right!
Thanks. From some other research and actually calling the my local Audi dealer parts department and speaking with a technician, I think you are on the right path, but will wait for any others input as well.

Cheers.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello again all.

I'm looking for any advise as it relates to my problem (or, please let me know if fault codes should be provided somewhere else in the forum as well).

A few posts ago, you will see refernce to the fact that my satellite band disappeared. Conspicously, this surfaced after having picked up my car for air bag recall replacement. After noticing, I told them what happened and they "claimed" it cannot be related (I've had sirius service for 8 years w/o issue, 2010 Q5). I researched and found the TSB for this issue (from 2010) and they agreed to update the firmware for free (after some complaining) since my car was under warranty, but not updated, at the time of release of the bulletin. This doesn't make much sense to me anyway that this bug would "suddenly" surface after all this time. However, the update did nothing to cause the satellite band to re-appear (further proving something else has occured). BTW, I asked and they also peformed a courtesy service due reset as I changed the oil myself (not sure if could be related / scewed something up in the process).

After the firmeware flash did not resolve, they said the only next step would be to replace the radio unit for $4K (as mentionbed in my previous post). Obviously, given the age of my vehicle, this doesn't make sense, for which I told them as such. I asked if they could provide me the part number and that I could perform the work on my own. Completely ignorant at the time, I took the provided part number, looked it up, and could see it was for the MMI head unit (cd player, sd card inserts, etc). This seemed logical. I ordered a working unit (valid with VIN) off of eBay, replaced, and despite "content protection active" present (as expected), the satellite band did not re-appear anyway, even after OBD fault clears, etc, via my OBDEleven.

Now, more educated on the hardware involved, and re-reading the quotation, I could see that it said "radio control module", which isn't even the part number they provided me, rather, the radio receiver / satellite receiver unit in the back left of the cargo area!

I subsequently returned the MMI unit, bought a valid radio control module instead (4F0035082A) and replaced, again, to no avail, no satellite band. Hardware scan (OBDeleven) returns the same error regardles of the MMI and/or radio control module installed (my current or replaced hardware):

OBDeleven data log

Date: 2018-06-12 21:49

Car: Audi Q5
Year: 2010
Body type: SUV
Engine: CALB 199 kW (270 HP) 3.2 l
Mileage: 55530 MI

---------------------------------------------------------------
56 Radio

System description: Radio U SIRIU
Software number: 4F0035082A
Software version: 0021
Hardware number: 4F0035082
Hardware version: H45
Serial number: 335CK0A7562010
Long coding: 020000020100000001

Trouble codes:
00003 - Control module Faulty
Intermittent
02788 - Internal communication error
static

To my uneducated eye, the fault codes above, coupled with the hardware I've replaced would lead me to believe something got "screwed up" from a "communications" line / harness / bus perspective during the recall service causing the issue, but figured I'd reach out to the forum for any insight as well.

Otherwise, I don't know what else to possible try.

Thanks.