Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

MMI - Necessity or Luxury?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huey52
It's nice that we have Audi enthusiasts even warping the space-time continuum to address these questions.
Atleast you know I'm happy with my Q5!
Old 06-09-2011, 03:11 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

It's a decision that each of us have to make for themselves and not an easy one.
IMO if you're going to keep the car for a long time, adding the Nav adds the little extra features that provides more ownership enjoyment, like the high res screen, the instrument display in color and the positioning of the MMI control ****, for instance. I agree the POI's are sketchy, but apart from that it's a great system.
Now that I've owned my Q5 for 2 years (and really enjoy it), I'm glad I added as many options as I did. The only thing I should have done differently is added the S-line option as well!
Oh well, I guess I have to have something to look forward to, when I trade in 3 years time
Old 06-09-2011, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If you go SLine, that is only 3.2. At 49K the prestige has Sline and NAV standard.

Just so you know, the MMI is standard equip. Adding NAV option moves MMI from above HVAC to below shifter. When not equipped with NAV, MMI still can alter vehicle setting, music, etc. Also note that when you add NAV the screen is larger, I believe.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had the same dilemma. I wanted S-Line and my wife wanted the nav. In the end she won, because she hated the aluminum trim so much that she said she would never drive the car! I have always had a great sense of direction and thought i would never use the nav, thus it would be a waste of money. However, i have found myself using the nav a lot when going to a new golf course or somewhere in the subburbs. I really like the physical setup of the control ****, as well as the camera and parking sensors. For what it's worth, i have a garmin nuvi 2360 for when i travel on business and actually find myself missing my Audi Nav (i am probably just missing the Q!). Maybe it is the graphics or the integration in the dash that makes the nav in the Q more appealing, but i really don't like the Garmin's graphics or having to touch + or - to zoom in or out (much easier in the Q) Or maybe i just have a crappy version of the nuvi!

Edit: I forgot to mention the thing i like most about the nav, the traffic. I know some will disagree, but it has always been right on the money for me. With the traffic in Chicago, it really makes this function a necessity, even when i am not using the nav for directions. The traffic on my nuvi leaves a lot to be desired.

Last edited by eppoh7; 06-09-2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered it because I don't want to be 'behind the curve' so to speak...I feel like all the cars are moving in this direction and I don't want to feel like I'm missing something. I do think though that you should get the S line. It sounds like it's more important to you...and you'll kick yourself if you see one drive by! You'll never know if your neighbor has the nav or not!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrV
IMO if you're going to keep the car for a long time, adding the Nav adds the little extra features that provides more ownership enjoyment, like the high res screen, the instrument display in color and the positioning of the MMI control ****, for instance.
+1. Couldn't agree more. This may be just me, but the lower res screen and red monochrome instrument display seems out of place in a car at this price point. We got the nav package mainly for, well the nav, the backup camera and the controller position. The better screens, better sound quality of the HD radio were nice pluses.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have navy in our cars from 2004 -I can't imagine anymore a car with out - so many useful and need things came with it. And remember - it's not only navy anymore.
Saying that, I totally agree with many posters, who state that maps and POI is outdated and updates far behind.
In addition Audi navigation is most expensive navigation options in all 3 (Audi,BMW and MBZ). Rip Off!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have nav and I don't miss it one bit. You could say that I don't what I'm missing out on but given that I have all the same MMI functionality I'd say I'm not missing out on much at all!
In Australia, Nav was a $6,200 option and then the reversing camera was another $1,200 or so on top of that. The 3.0TDI option was about $9,000 over the base 4 cylinder options.... Guess where I chose to spend my money
Old 06-10-2011, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is a bit off here but does the Garmin have to be plugged into a power port?
If it does then you're goign to have wires/cords allover, if you are as my husband won't leave home with out it, HAS to bring along his Valentine 1 everywhere and that needs a power port.
Having the Nav MMI is 1 less thing to have to find a place for and plug in.
my .02 of exp.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by TIME89
We have navy in our cars from 2004 -I can't imagine anymore a car with out - so many useful and need things came with it. And remember - it's not only navy anymore.
Saying that, I totally agree with many posters, who state that maps and POI is outdated and updates far behind.
In addition Audi navigation is most expensive navigation options in all 3 (Audi,BMW and MBZ). Rip Off!!!!!!!!
I absolutely agree with your opinion that the navigation models (Audi, BMW, MB) expensive 2300-4000EUR
Another problem is the updating of maps.
There are many countries where the companies do not have a general map to know the percent of full travel.
Updates of new maps at least in Europe is expensive 300-500EUR for the DVD I think it is shameful lot
So the best solution for me Gramin. It is not a set can be put in a folder of all continents and updating of maps as well as the device is not expensive.
Another advantage of Garmin is a pedestrian mode which is also important to me

Last edited by spijun; 06-10-2011 at 07:19 AM.

Quick Reply: MMI - Necessity or Luxury?