Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Which MMI version (i.e. 2G, 3G, 3G+)?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 07:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spijun
"The original MMI was MOST fiber optic bus". Are exists no original MMI?????
Harddrive with MOST fiber optic link ?????
Only the B & O system with MMI navigation plus is connected to the fiber optic link

With smaller screen coming MMI navigation
MMI navigation:
6.5-inch TFT colour display (1/4 VGA 400 x 240 pixels)
MMI navigation plus:
High-resolution 7" colour display (wide VGA 800 x 480 pixels)

Not a real MMI system ???????
Is exists a real MMI and are not real MMI???
But what is the MMI??????

System MMI does not depend on the navigation
For your information there are: MMI, MMI radio plus, MMI navigation, MMI navigation Plus( first generation of HD 10GB after 20GB)and last model MMI navigation Plus In combination with the Bluetooth car phone online using Audi's connect services (eg navigation with current Google Earth and Street View pictures, weather and news*Audi traffic information online). (A6,A7,face-lift Q5)

Good luck
Not sure what you're trying to explain, but a B8 chassis vehicle such as the Q5 with NAV has a MOST fiber optic link MMI 3G system. If it has no NAV, it is a Concert/Symphony radio system connected via CANbus wires. Audi transferred the MMI naming to all their cars entertainment systems now, but the original MMI was only cars with MOST fiber optic cable links for all the MMI modules (D3 A8, C6 A6 & Q7). In the case of the OP's question, the technical people know that any B8 model vehicle with NAV has an entirely different system than one without NAV. This is what determines whether the Audi A2DP BT adapter works or not. It does not work on MMI3G systems, but all other older systems, it does. As far as the Audi systems go, I know them from the actual systems, used, not the marketing sales names. There are only two base systems used in a Q5 and we determine it based off does it have NAV or not, simple as that.

https://www.audiworld.com/news/08/q5...th/multimedia/

Last edited by ezveedub; 06-06-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ezveedub
Not sure what you're trying to explain, but a B8 chassis vehicle such as the Q5 with NAV has a MOST fiber optic link MMI 3G system. If it has no NAV, it is a Concert/Symphony radio system connected via CANbus wires. Audi transferred the MMI naming to all their cars entertainment systems now, but the original MMI was only cars with MOST fiber optic cable links for all the MMI modules (D3 A8, C6 A6 & Q7). In the case of the OP's question, the technical people know that any B8 model vehicle with NAV has an entirely different system than one without NAV. This is what determines whether the Audi A2DP BT adapter works or not. It does not work on MMI3G systems, but all other older systems, it does. As far as the Audi systems go, I know them from the actual systems, used, not the marketing sales names. There are only two base systems used in a Q5 and we determine it based off does it have NAV or not, simple as that.

https://www.audiworld.com/news/08/q5...th/multimedia/
You've written:
- The original was the MMI MOST fiber optic bus---ORGINAL???
- Harddrive with MOST fiber optic link --- It is not true
- Not a real MMI system --- It is not true
- You basically have a radio and smaller screen with wiring to your amp and other systems ----It is not true
Find answers here:
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...ilter_i_m.html
Old 06-06-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You've written:
- The original was the MMI MOST fiber optic bus---ORGINAL???
- Harddrive with MOST fiber optic link --- It is not true
- Not a real MMI system --- It is not true
- You basically have a radio and smaller screen with wiring to your amp and other systems ----It is not true
Find answers here:
http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...ilter_i_m.html
I didn't not say a harddrive with optic link. I said the MMI 3g has additional functions and a harddrive and is connected to the other modules for communication via MOST fiber optic link.

Second, I also stated that Audi used the MMI naming for all newer models entertainment systems. Same thing you posted in your link.

Now if you want to know specifically what "MMI" system you have, there are only two in a Q5 from MY10 to MY12. NAV MMI with MOST and Non-NAV MMI with CANbus. That's it. You cannot interchange any MMI component with a NAV MMI3G system with a Non-NAV "MMI" system. They are two separate entire systems. A B&O amp from a Non-NAV "MMI" cannot work in a NAV MMI3G system simply because one has MOST cables for the MMI system to communcate and the other uses two orange CANbus wires to communicate. Same goes for all the other modules in each system. What Audi marketing names MMI Navigation plus is simply the MMI 3G system, not to be confused with MMI 3G+ systems coming in the MY13 Q5s.

The OP posted several MMI systems in the thread title. If you knew anything about MMI systems, you know that the MMI 2G system was never, ever in a Q5. Only MMI3G and now MMI3G+ in 2013 Q5s....and that's only if it has NAV. If is has no NAV, then it has your so called "MMI", which is neither 2G, 3G or 3G+
Old 06-06-2012, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ezveedub
I didn't not say a harddrive with optic link. I said the MMI 3g has additional functions and a harddrive and is connected to the other modules for communication via MOST fiber optic link.

Second, I also stated that Audi used the MMI naming for all newer models entertainment systems. Same thing you posted in your link.

Now if you want to know specifically what "MMI" system you have, there are only two in a Q5 from MY10 to MY12. NAV MMI with MOST and Non-NAV MMI with CANbus. That's it. You cannot interchange any MMI component with a NAV MMI3G system with a Non-NAV "MMI" system. They are two separate entire systems. A B&O amp from a Non-NAV "MMI" cannot work in a NAV MMI3G system simply because one has MOST cables for the MMI system to communcate and the other uses two orange CANbus wires to communicate. Same goes for all the other modules in each system. What Audi marketing names MMI Navigation plus is simply the MMI 3G system, not to be confused with MMI 3G+ systems coming in the MY13 Q5s.

The OP posted several MMI systems in the thread title. If you knew anything about MMI systems, you know that the MMI 2G system was never, ever in a Q5. Only MMI3G and now MMI3G+ in 2013 Q5s....and that's only if it has NAV. If is has no NAV, then it has your so called "MMI", which is neither 2G, 3G or 3G+
In Europe model Q5 from 2008 and the beginning of 2009 year were equipped with the MMI 2G 6.5-inch TFT color display (1/4 VGA 400 x 240 pixels)
In Europe today there MMI Navigation Basic 6.5-inch TFT MMI and Navigation plus 7-inch
Check here:
http://konfigurator.audi.de/entry?ma...rtner=selected

I do not want to go into further discussion
Old 06-06-2012, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://audia2dp.weebly.com/index.html This A2DP adapter works with MMI 3G though I am not sure if it works with non-nav models.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

In Europe model Q5 from 2008 and the beginning of 2009 year were equipped with the MMI 2G 6.5-inch TFT color display (1/4 VGA 400 x 240 pixels)
In Europe today there MMI Navigation Basic 6.5-inch TFT MMI and Navigation plus 7-inch
Check here:
http://konfigurator.audi.de/entry?ma...rtner=selected

I do not want to go into further discussion
In the US, the Q5 was only offered with MMI3G if it have NAV.

No NAV
"Radio
The radio consists of:
Symphony Radio
* Radio with integrated CD changer
* Display Mid
* Sound systems: basic/basic plus/standard
* SD Memory Card Reader
* Satellite radio -R146- integrated in symphony
Optional
* Sound system: Bang and Olufsen
* External audio source connection -R199-
* Mobile phone pre-installation
* Bluetooth hands-free equipment
The connection to other vehicle systems takes place via the Infotainment CAN-Bus and data bus on board diagnostic interface -J533-"

With NAV
"MMI Infotainment System
The MMI Infotainment system is available in the following equipment levels:
MMI Maximum Equipment
* The information electronics control module 1 -J794- in the top of the center console holds the CD player/DVD player/navigation system/cell phone preparation/voice control system/SD memory card reader.
* Internal hard drive disc storage (HD) for storing navigation data and MP3 files.
* Multimedia control head -E380- in lower center console.
* Front information display control head -J685- in center instrument panel.
* The CD changer -R41-/optional external audio source connection -R199- (interface) in the glove compartment.
* External audio source connection -R199- (AUX IN socket) in the center console storage compartment.
* Digital sound system control module -J525- in the luggage compartment (left rear).
* Sound systems: Standard/Bang and Olufsen.
* Radio -R- on the left side of the luggage compartment in the rear is optional with satellite radio -R146-.
* Optional multifunction steering wheel.
* Optional Bluetooth hands-free equipment.
The MOST BUS performs the system data exchange in the MMI.
The connection to the other BUS systems in the vehicle are provided by the data bus on board diagnostic interface -J533-
"
Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by gheffty93
http://audia2dp.weebly.com/index.html This A2DP adapter works with MMI 3G though I am not sure if it works with non-nav models.
That's an aftermarket BT device for only the MMI3G system (with NAV). Never used it before, but its filling in for what the OEM Audi A2DP BT adapter cannot do on the MMI3G system.