Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
View Poll Results: 2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs 2018 SQ5 (Redesign)
2017 SQ5 (Final Edition)
60.00%
2018 SQ5 (Redesign)
40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

MY2017 SQ5 (Final Edition) vs MY2018 SQ5 (Redesign)

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by sszyma
Better to pay for a repair at a good indy rather than have it fixed for free by the dealer.
sszyma, you're definitely an outlier when it comes to your views on mods and dealers on a brand new car - as it relates to the general public. Most people who buy the SQ5 do so since it has the "best" of all the features of the 3.0T engine and other niceties: suspension, brakes, interior, etc... They generally don't mod it, since it comes factory tuned and they don't have to worry about issues with the engine and other reliability which is all covered by the manufacturer.

I'm a big fan of modding vehicles to the owner's desire, but why all this hate for dealers? I've done a lot of my own work, used indys, and also have a great dealer close by that offers some great services. It really depends upon the individual tech on how well the car will be fixed, but I've not had any issues with the dealer and that's having owned Audi's for ~20 years.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by raj99
sszyma, you're definitely an outlier when it comes to your views on mods and dealers on a brand new car - as it relates to the general public. Most people who buy the SQ5 do so since it has the "best" of all the features of the 3.0T engine and other niceties: suspension, brakes, interior, etc... They generally don't mod it, since it comes factory tuned and they don't have to worry about issues with the engine and other reliability which is all covered by the manufacturer.

I'm a big fan of modding vehicles to the owner's desire, but why all this hate for dealers? I've done a lot of my own work, used indys, and also have a great dealer close by that offers some great services. It really depends upon the individual tech on how well the car will be fixed, but I've not had any issues with the dealer and that's having owned Audi's for ~20 years.
I don't know if that's necessarily true about buying an S and leaving stock because it's already modded out. Being a lowly 3.0T owner (SQ wasn't avail in '13...), I'm very grateful for the SQ5, S4, etc because without guys pulling for more research and parts for those platforms, It'd be pretty thin for the 3.0T owner. I'd suggest that the vast majority of SQ owners on Audizine ARE modding and just dealing with the TD1/warranty risk. Their collective voices are certainly loud enough, and with the cash to back it up, that there's a lot of activity on the S platforms by vendors.

Just a different perspective...

Related to the original topic, I'd have to hold out with an Undecided vote. The styling of the '18 is OK, but if it's got flaws, I'd just buy it in black. Mutes those design flaws and can still look decent...when clean... The main issue I have with the '18 is the likely turbo vs the '17s SC. Anything I buy is going to be my daily driver, modded or otherwise, and I have yet to drive a turbo engine that's not frustrating in point and shoot commute time. Add in an automatic on top of it, and I just don't know. I'll have to wait, drive and see.

Last edited by BlackSVT; 10-05-2016 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by raj99

Some good dealers exist!!!! but, for the most part they are not that good. I probably am the outlier as I have no hesitation when pulling an engine (I just rebuilt a friends 2014 GLI 2.0 with Wiseco etc....) and that is not my day job either. I get a funny looks from the Audi dealer when buying parts as if a Audi owner is unable to perform their own maintenance. Even with my Chicago garage I have a tire changer and Hunter RF balancer.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Some good dealers exist!!!! but, for the most part they are not that good. I probably am the outlier as I have no hesitation when pulling an engine (I just rebuilt a friends 2014 GLI 2.0 with Wiseco etc....) and that is not my day job either. I get a funny looks from the Audi dealer when buying parts as if a Audi owner is unable to perform their own maintenance. Even with my Chicago garage I have a tire changer and Hunter RF balancer.
Yep, you would be an outlier vs. the avg Q5 owner...especially considering the folks on AW and AZ forums are a subset of the DIY folks. I've started doing less "heavy lifting" on my cars and the last engine rebuild I did was on my C5. I'd probably argue that dealers are just like any other business, and that for every good one there's a "mehhh" one.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Now that's impressive!
Old 10-05-2016, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackSVT
Anything I buy is going to be my daily driver, modded or otherwise, and I have yet to drive a turbo engine that's not frustrating in point and shoot commute time. Add in an automatic on top of it, and I just don't know. I'll have to wait, drive and see.
Not to worry - with "Traffic jam assist" you just need to push a button. As far as I understand this system was designed for exactly that - it would "sit" in a stop-n-go traffic for you so to speak.
Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by rlebwohl
I just ordered a 2017 SQ5 to replace my 14 Q5 3.0. As much I like the new technology and virtual cockpit, I rarely would use it to its full potential. I have really enjoyed my 3.0, and my previous 3.2 and that's why I know I will enjoy the SQ5. Plus, being now built in Mexico I would want to wait a year or two to make sure all the bugs were taken care of. My vote is for the 2017 SQ5.... plus I got a really good deal on it. Waiting 3 months for it will suck though.
Would you mind to share what percentage you managed to get off of the MSRP? Here in Canada, the expected discount from Audi would not be as good as it in States. I am Also comparing the 2017 SQ5 and the 2018 Q5/SQ5.
Thanks.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Opted to pick up a new 2017 SQ5 to replace my 2015 RS5 to bridge the few years until the 201? RSQ5 arrives. I like getting the last year build before a model refresh. Could care less about the latest tech features.

I have heard all the stuff about the quality control and all, but a new Mexico factory causes me some concerns. Cannot see how they can produce the same quality as Germany, although I am sure the robots are just as good. A Mexican made high end German car just does not have the same appeal for me.

Old 02-03-2017, 02:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

redesign allllllllll the way
Old 12-31-2017, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by getliquid
redesign allllllllll the way
Fake exhaust and all?