Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Is nav as bad as the reviews say?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only reason to get this is because of the rear cameras and sensors. The NAV is a few years behind the times, it's more like 2008 technology. That's the problem with most integrated NAV anyways. The latest today is going to be outdated in a couple years.

The next thing will be android or better iOS integration with internet and yada yada.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah...I too think/feel the fact that Audi does not provide an update more often (or at all) is pretty ridiculous. Angering is some cases. And the fact that if and when an update is available, you have to pay for it!? Lame. I was merely saying that I have had a good time with mine - use it all the time and it has never not gotten me to where I needed to be. Sometimes it routes me through the "ghetto"...but then most hand-held units/smartphone apps do that too. Nothing's perfect...yet Looking forward to see what the new Google earth based MMI will do - should be a lot more up to snuff (or better) with current technological benchmarks I would hope.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

I forget exactly...think it's through the CAR tab on the MMI. I'll look for it later on my way home. But, I did it within the first week of ownership - really cool stuff. Takes about 5 minutes and the car gives you all kinds of letter and number combos for you to read back to the system. Based on your responses, it will "learn" how you personally string together certain phrases, words, numbers, etc so it won't confuse one thing for another. Since doing that, I think the only time the car hasn't understood me was when the windows were down. And, even then, it's only been a handfull of times (in almost 3 years!).
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Reisen
Our Q5 was one of the last 2011's. We routinely find that roads from 4 or 5 years ago aren't on it...

People keep saying "brand new roads aren't on it". At least with ours, that's not the case. I would understand if that was all. My problem is roads from 2008 aren't on it. That's unreasonable.
I think your fingerpointing here probably should be more directed at Navteq then Audi. First Q5s were 09's so if the nav maps were brand new mid 08 then they should have roads 4-5 years old and older on it. If it's lacking at that point it's due to it not getting added by Navteq.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PJQ5S
Yeah...I too think/feel the fact that Audi does not provide an update more often (or at all) is pretty ridiculous. Angering is some cases. And the fact that if and when an update is available, you have to pay for it!? Lame. I was merely saying that I have had a good time with mine - use it all the time and it has never not gotten me to where I needed to be. Sometimes it routes me through the "ghetto"...but then most hand-held units/smartphone apps do that too. Nothing's perfect....

I always thought it would be cool if a gps could integrate with a crime database giving you an option to avoid questionable areas. Nothing like being in a new location and have your gps send you through places you'd rather roll through a light then take a chance and stop.

With anything there's a cost involved with doing updates. From paying Navteq for the maps to service having to install them. Microshaft and Apple don't give you the next OS. My favorite though are software companies who feel the need to release new software every year and use their customers as debuggers. On top of that if you just buy the software and not a subscription you don't even get the patches. They could sell the car with first update for free but you know that cost would already be added to the base price.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by CrownSeven
If you don't get the nav, I think it would be a mistake, especially in a car like this. Mainly because of all the other features that comes in the technology package (built in hard drive, color lcd screen in the instrument cluster, backup camera, etc...)

All those bitch'n and moaning on here about the nav is mainly due to the lack of map updates. Otherwise I've never had a problem with it, its easy to use, and does the job.
I agree. After months of looking at the Q5 online, I finally test drove one today and dare I say, liked the nav. It was a lot more than just a GPS. But after driving a Jeep Wrangler all these years (it's 12 yo), everything thing seems like bells and whistels
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe it depends where you live, and where you buy. I live in the Baltimore / Washington area and we don't have too much going on with major new roads EXCEPT for our new Route 200 which bisects a major area between Baltimore and Washington DC. That's it. I like the Nav System for this part of the country.
One thumb up here
Old 03-16-2012, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I guess you can add me to the list of folks that thinks the Nav is fine. If I used it a ton, I might notice more quarks, but for what I've used it for, it's been reliable. I had a VW with nav before the Q5, and the input was similar, but it's nicer in the Q5 for sure. With the VW, I could buy new maps from NAVTEQ if I wanted updated ones, but there's the price. So I got buy, but still rarely did I go somewhere new enough that I needed it.

Honestly, the wife has a handheld with free lifetime updates, and I can plug it into the computer and update it anytime. I could have done the same, but I love the display and everything else that came with the Nav package. I don't even need Nav enough to warrant it honestly, but the screen and everything else that comes with it is very nice. And when I do use the nav, it's sufficient. Could have waited for the new Google maps integration and such, but also read that there would be a monthly $$$ associated with it which I would be hard pressed to decide what ot do with anyway. I'm pleased with it overall.

Just my 2 cents...

Sean
Old 03-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Otto Man
Maybe it depends where you live, and where you buy. I live in the Baltimore / Washington area and we don't have too much going on with major new roads EXCEPT for our new Route 200 which bisects a major area between Baltimore and Washington DC. That's it. I like the Nav System for this part of the country.
One thumb up here
Your post sealed the deal for me. I'm in NoVa and short of a few temporary detours around Springfield, no major road changes.
Old 03-16-2012, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yup

Originally Posted by Reisen
Our Q5 was one of the last 2011's. We routinely find that roads from 4 or 5 years ago aren't on it...

People keep saying "brand new roads aren't on it". At least with ours, that's not the case. I would understand if that was all. My problem is roads from 2008 aren't on it. That's unreasonable.

I'm also not a fan of the input mechanism, the screen, the need to pay Sirius for traffic, etc.

Unfortunately, we LOVE the backup camera. I'd be torn if I had to do it again.
We've driven through Washington, Oregon and California and had numerous incidents of wrong directions. It is worse than useless and the only thing I don't like about our Q5.

Quick Reply: Is nav as bad as the reviews say?