Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Normal Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 229 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
The regular Q has a compressor hidden in the d/s rear stowage compartment, and one might (ha) hope that since it is from Audi it is better than average. But in general, all of these small "emergency" compressors run very quickly with very small parts, and they can and will slag down if run more than 15 minutes at a clip, or used very often. So if you plan to use something like this for topping up your tires--it should be a separate unit.

The folks at Slime make a nice compressor that can be programmed for any specific PSI, and then it will automatically inflate all your tires (one at a time) to the same uniform pressure, a very nice way to get that done. But unless I failed Google-101, they don't make an automatic compressor that will also inject Slime into spare tires, so you have a choice of one or the other. (Or a pressurized fix-a-flat type can.) No big deal but it would be nice to find that all in one piece.

Of course if you had a real luxury car, as the classic days of RollsRoyce in the US, you never had to worry about these things. If you could find a phone, they'd dispatch a covered van from Atlas Van Lines to recover your Rolls and ensure no one saw it being towed much less repaired. And a Bentley followed along, for your use until your Rolls could be returned.

Whatever has happened to customer service.(G)
They do make a 1 step combination slime type sealant/compressor system............

Amazon Amazon
Old 06-12-2017, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Bob-
Combined unit, yes. I have that.
HOWEVER. It does not offer an automatic PSI setting and cut-off. So you have to manually observe each tire and cut off the inflation on each of your tires, if you are trying to top up all four.

With the automatic unit, you set the pressure once. Hook it up to each tire, and go back to reading the mail until you hear it shut off each time. Not a big deal--but a very nice convenience.

https://smile.amazon.com/Slime-40022...tic+compressor
Old 06-12-2017, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 229 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Bob-
Combined unit, yes. I have that.
HOWEVER. It does not offer an automatic PSI setting and cut-off. So you have to manually observe each tire and cut off the inflation on each of your tires, if you are trying to top up all four.

With the automatic unit, you set the pressure once. Hook it up to each tire, and go back to reading the mail until you hear it shut off each time. Not a big deal--but a very nice convenience.

https://smile.amazon.com/Slime-40022...tic+compressor
I'm 67 years old, but not that lazy yet....G!
Old 06-12-2017, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Well, your dealer told me that in fact you were SO lazy, you bought a car with an automatic transmission.(VBG)

There's a saying: "That's donkey work, we let the donkeys do that."

Watching the pressure gauge and waiting for the tire to fill? That's donkey work. The donkey is cheap, dependable labor, brains not required. I let the donkey do the donkey work. Meanwhile I can do something more important, requiring fine skills and attention to detail, like polishing the Audi logo on the grill.(G)
Old 03-08-2021, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare Tires Are Supposed To Be Part of the Car

A spare is not optional. It’s a safety issue as well. Audi cheaped out to avoid costs, weight and design creativity by simply skipping over a spare. I won’t buy another Audi for this reason and the fact the battery too was inappropriately stuffed where I can’t replace it easily and moved out of the engine compartment. Crazy idiot engineering.Q7 pricing that has less than a cheap GM provides.
Old 03-08-2021, 09:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by WhydidIbuy
A spare is not optional. It’s a safety issue as well. Audi cheaped out to avoid costs, weight and design creativity by simply skipping over a spare. I won’t buy another Audi for this reason and the fact the battery too was inappropriately stuffed where I can’t replace it easily and moved out of the engine compartment. Crazy idiot engineering.Q7 pricing that has less than a cheap GM provides.
@WhydidIbuy , ummm with a username like that, I think we can safely assume that your here to troll
The following users liked this post:
Sugar Ray Rob (03-13-2021)
Old 03-09-2021, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 358 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by WhydidIbuy
Since you wrote idiocy I have to answer you. Volvo XC60, BMW X3, Porsche Macan ..................have a battery in the trunk ,MB under the passenger seat (most SUVs such as GL, R, ML)
FYI at BMW you can't get a spare tire even for an extra charge, THERE IS NO OPTION
Are you happy now since everyone knows you write idiocy

Last edited by spijun; 03-09-2021 at 08:18 AM.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Runflat tyres is what you should get.

My European Q5 boot battery is accessible in seconds but I have no bass speaker.

Also have the repair kit and air compressor in my Q5, and two safety reflective triagles. (No spare emergency tire.). Never used the repair kit because I never found myself in that acqward moment. Have more boot space this way but yes I would prefer to have a spare tyre too but then again what about accessing the battery if spare tire was offered?? It is a give take solution or loose gain situation.

In the States you have the option of adding spare tyre in your Q5 boot. Find these in eBay if you wish to purchase. The are sold as195 75 R18 and come in two rim designs.

Last edited by apoelistas; 03-09-2021 at 09:58 AM.