Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

One week review

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One week review

So now that I have had my 3.2 S Line for a week, I thought I would provide my initial impressions.

LOVE
Exterior styling - Every time I park my Q and walk away, I always look back at it. To me that is the sign I love the way it looks.
Interior styling - I love the fact the aluminum trim is actual aluminum rather than painted plastic.
Fit & Finish - Superb! One of the best made cars I have ever owned.
Ride - The ride is surprisingly smooth even with the S Line package. I guess I was expecting a harsh BMW type of ride but I am pleasantly surprised it's not like that at all. It's a nice combination of sport and luxury.
Sound - The B&O is great. I'm a bit of an audiophile and I am very pleased with the system. The SD card works so well I haven't even tried my iPod yet.
Convenience - The power lift gate and handsfree bluetooth are great.
Engine - I am SO happy I went with the 3.2. The 8 speed on the 2.0 was constantly shifting which TO ME was annoying. So far I have averaged about 23 mpg which is acceptable.

HATE
There is nothing I hate so far. There are a few personal preferences I would like to have but nothing that makes owning the car not fun.

PREFERENCES
Exterior styling - With the S Line package, I would prefer SLIGHTLY less gap in the wheel wells. If the car were and inch or so lower I think it would even look better, but I'm fine the way it is.
Fit & Finish - I have the rear seat rattle I haven't tried to fix yet. I'll take care of it this weekend.
Sound - The dial wheels on the steering wheel work well, but there are always 2 actions required to complete a command. It's not a big deal just something I am still getting used to.
Convenience - I would prefer a one touch button to open the roof rather than a **** to turn but again it's no big deal. I would prefer the roof screen to be solid to block all the light and heat. I tinted my roof so it's much better now for my hot climate. I would like to be able to close the lift gate with the remote. I would also like to be able to hold down the unlock button on the remote to roll down the windows as I approach the car. Letting out the heat 20 seconds before I get in is a big help.

Overall, I am THRILLED! I consider myself a car guy and I can honestly say my Q is AWESOME. This is my first Audi and so far I couldn't be happier. If you are on the fence, JUST BUY IT!

Last edited by Barksdale; 05-20-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:24 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Love your review! You sound like I still feel after 2 years
Old 05-20-2011, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Great review, you've echoed my thoughts as well. I've had my Q5 3.2L since 12/22 and have almost 1,500 miles - it has surpassed my expectations and I couldn't be happier with it.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Barksdale
So now that I have had my 3.2 S Line for a week, I thought I would provide my initial impressions.

LOVE
Exterior styling - Every time I park my Q and walk away, I always look back at it. To me that is the sign I love the way it looks.
Interior styling - I love the fact the aluminum trim is actual aluminum rather than painted plastic.
Fit & Finish - Superb! One of the best made cars I have ever owned.
Ride - The ride is surprisingly smooth even with the S Line package. I guess I was expecting a harsh BMW type of ride but I am pleasantly surprised it's not like that at all. It's a nice combination of sport and luxury.
Sound - The B&O is great. I'm a bit of an audiophile and I am very pleased with the system. The SD card works so well I haven't even tried my iPod yet.
Convenience - The power lift gate and handsfree bluetooth are great.
Engine - I am SO happy I went with the 3.2. The 8 speed on the 2.0 was constantly shifting which TO ME was annoying. So far I have averaged about 23 mpg which is acceptable.

HATE
There is nothing I hate so far. There are a few personal preferences I would like to have but nothing that makes owning the car not fun.

PREFERENCES
Exterior styling - With the S Line package, I would prefer SLIGHTLY less gap in the wheel wells. If the car were and inch or so lower I think it would even look better, but I'm fine the way it is.
Fit & Finish - I have the rear seat rattle I haven't tried to fix yet. I'll take care of it this weekend.
Sound - The dial wheels on the steering wheel work well, but there are always 2 actions required to complete a command. It's not a big deal just something I am still getting used to.
Convenience - I would prefer a one touch button to open the roof rather than a **** to turn but again it's no big deal. I would prefer the roof screen to be solid to block all the light and heat. I tinted my roof so it's much better now for my hot climate. I would like to be able to close the lift gate with the remote. I would also like to be able to hold down the unlock button on the remote to roll down the windows as I approach the car. Letting out the heat 20 seconds before I get in is a big help.

Overall, I am THRILLED! I consider myself a car guy and I can honestly say my Q is AWESOME. This is my first Audi and so far I couldn't be happier. If you are on the fence, JUST BUY IT!
I couldn't agree more, Barksdale.

Regarding your last comment, there is a VAG-COM interface change which allows you to open the windows/sunroof with your remote. It's pretty nice, along with some other tricks. Note: You'll need to purchase a cable or find someone locally to make this change: http://www.audienthusiasts.com/VagCom.html
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

I feel the same. Love this car.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm also in the one week of owning and loving it too, everytime I get in I end up just sitting there drinking in the smell of the leather and the look of the interior!

E