Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Parts numbers needed Q5 3.0 to SQ5 Brake Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Parts numbers needed Q5 3.0 to SQ5 Brake Conversion

Hi,
Has anyone done a Q5 3.0 Brake conversion to the SQ5? What parts are needed? Can anyone supply any part numbers?

Took my car into the dealer for the last 45k Audi Care service and they said I need to replace my brake pads soon. So I am looking at how much would it cost to do the conversion or should I just stick with Q5 Pads and Rotors. What about recommendations for Pads/Rotors is I don't do the conversion?

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Do you already have the brembo style calipers? If so I see zero reason to "upgrade" to SQ5 brakes. They are not much larger then the Q5 and the Q5 provides a great deal of braking power as it is. I would stick with the same pads a rotors as before. The general consensus is that you should stay with an OEM manufacturer for the pads and rotors. But as you said before you do only need pads. I would jist replace them and be on your way.
Old 10-13-2017, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a 3.0T and switched ton an SQ5, the braking is improved significantly IMO.

It's probably expensive to upgrade, so I'm not sure it would be worth it. Maybe you can keep your calipers and just change your carriers and rotors for the SQ5 ones? Not sure it can be done.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Got back from dealer. Front and Rear Pads and Rotors, Front are 3mm Rear are 5mm Have a bit of time on rear but suggest front soon. They wanted $1900 for all 4 which was a rip off.

So I am looking at ideas on what is recommended for upgrade without breaking the bank.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

A proper conversion would probably mean a new ABS controller and new ABS/ESC system programming to properly use the different brakes, so you're opening up a hugely expensive can of worms.

I've always felt that if the brakes on a car could lock up all four wheels (as the stock brakes will, until the ABS starts unlocking and pulsing them) at that point, "more" brakes aren't going to do a damned thing for you. If you want to stop faster, what you need is tires with more traction on the road.

And arguably at 45k miles, your tires don't have anywhere near the traction that new ones would have. If you have "winter" where you are, you can be taking a double whammy because four-season or "performance" tires lose traction in cold weather also. So, new snow tires now, new four season tires in the spring.

No can of worms needed, and the stopping power should be noticeably better.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Redd
A proper conversion would probably mean a new ABS controller and new ABS/ESC system programming to properly use the different brakes, so you're opening up a hugely expensive can of worms.

I've always felt that if the brakes on a car could lock up all four wheels (as the stock brakes will, until the ABS starts unlocking and pulsing them) at that point, "more" brakes aren't going to do a damned thing for you. If you want to stop faster, what you need is tires with more traction on the road.

And arguably at 45k miles, your tires don't have anywhere near the traction that new ones would have. If you have "winter" where you are, you can be taking a double whammy because four-season or "performance" tires lose traction in cold weather also. So, new snow tires now, new four season tires in the spring.

No can of worms needed, and the stopping power should be noticeably better.
Agreed, Put on 255/50/19 Continental DWS06 at 35k.

Any recommendations on better pads or rotors? Or just stick with OEM and go Stainless steel brake lines

ECS was recommending for both front and rear.

Front Slotted Brake Rotors - Pair (345x30)Brand: ES#: 2189933Mfg#: 8K0301MSLGMTLRAFront Redstuff Performance Brake Pad SetBrand:
Old 10-26-2017, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 99 Likes on 73 Posts

Pick up some Zimmerman coated rotors and Textar pads from FCPEuro, the pads are dusty but man this combo can stop! Coming back from a road trip a few days ago I had to stop from 70mph to zero in what seemed instantly!
Old 10-27-2017, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Built4Sin
Pick up some Zimmerman coated rotors and Textar pads from FCPEuro, the pads are dusty but man this combo can stop! Coming back from a road trip a few days ago I had to stop from 70mph to zero in what seemed instantly!
What pad/rotor part number did you get?
Old 10-27-2017, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

siren001 I strongly recommend you follow Built4Sin suggestion.I'm a big fan of Textar pads, and I used to be in the business - garage owner.That's what I've run on my last three Audis.In my experience they've produced no dust but maybe I've been lucky. Best to have the rotors properly inspected for wear. More often than not they're replaced unnecessarily at great expense.
But if they are in fact done, you won't go wrong with Zimmerman or Brembos.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sq5 brakes are nothing more than just oversized to reduce heat and fading. Pop up those calipers, its just a regular 2 piston on one side.
My old v8 4runner has a smaller size rotor but the caliper is a 4 piston beast(2 on each side of the rotor) and does a fantastic job at emergency and tow braking.

Not worth the upgrade. Wilwood, stoptech,brembo? Now we’re talking.

Quick Reply: Parts numbers needed Q5 3.0 to SQ5 Brake Conversion