Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Pinout of AMI glove box connection?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Pinout of AMI glove box connection?

I'm looking for the pointout of the AMI connection, so I can make sure a BT adapter there is hooked up to ACC power and not constant battery power. All I find on the web are the iPod connections form adapters, nothing on the AMI pinout itself, nothing to tell me if there even is an ACC power connection rather than BAT.

Anyone able to help with the pinout for the AMI connection itself?
Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Default This?

Not sure if this is what your looking for. I happen to come across the in my search.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, Warhead. That's a good start, but it doesn't get specific enough, i.e. which leads are battery positive, accessory positive, AMI-controlled, AMI-sense, etc. I need to know which pins on the AMI socket itself, are connected to which power (and signal) lines.

Anything else that perhaps was following that diagram? Or a source?

And then I'll just need to explore how that socket comes out of the glove box. (Any idea?)

Last edited by Redd; 04-16-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 04-16-2017, 12:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

@redd. the connector pin numbers are listed above the R199 connector
all the digrams are in the erwin files. I paid for one day access and d/l all files i need
Old 04-16-2017, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, Wani. My main problem with Erwin is that I usually can't figure out where they'd hidden things. I think I was out sick, that week in grade school when they were teaching everyone to use telepathic German indexing conventions.(G)
Old 04-16-2017, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Thanks, Wani. My main problem with Erwin is that I usually can't figure out where they'd hidden things. I think I was out sick, that week in grade school when they were teaching everyone to use telepathic German indexing conventions.(G)
lol, yeah I downloaded it as well, but it isn't very clear on what signal is at what wire. sadly this is far as I got with the Erwin stuff.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I'm convinced that Erwin is a marketing exercise, designed to make non-Audi shops say "We charge extra for foreign cars."

I've seen and used CAD systems. And publishing systems. And Erwin? Smacks of the 1980's. I'll have to go spend some quality time trying to coax the AMI socket out of the glove box, to see if I can access the wiring behind it. Or maybe just attack the iPod adapter that came with the car, to see what power leads I can find in that side. Folks who stonewall just motivate me.(G)
Old 04-17-2017, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

I'm convinced that Erwin is a marketing exercise, designed to make non-Audi shops say "We charge extra for foreign cars."

I've seen and used CAD systems. And publishing systems. And Erwin? Smacks of the 1980's. I'll have to go spend some quality time trying to coax the AMI socket out of the glove box, to see if I can access the wiring behind it. Or maybe just attack the iPod adapter that came with the car, to see what power leads I can find in that side. Folks who stonewall just motivate me.(G)
First, you need to use the correct DIN release keys (see the little slots on the bottom corners of the AMI unit). The keys are a certain configuration. You can try a piece of stiff wire instead of the keys but you could damage the AMI release pins to where you will never remove the AMI unit.

Second, the ERWIN wiring system is very easy to use if you know how. I have been reading these wiring diagrams since I owned my 1987 VW Golf, they really don't look any different in 2017.

Also you need the VAG VAS 5054A tester, this has on screen step by step troubleshooting which includes telling you what to expect to see at each connector pin.

Thus for some of us hard core DIY Audi owners you need to own your own set of Ross-Tech VCDS, VAG VAS 5054A system and VAG ERWIN (ElsaWin 5.2/5.3).

If I have time later tonight I will look at the AMI wiring diagrams.

EDIT...........

Took about 10 -15 seconds to find it on ERWIN........

12-pin connector (T12t)

1 - Terminal 31

2 - CAN Bus low (Infotainment)

3 - Not Assigned

4 - LF right to the Radio -R-

5 - Not Assigned

6 - Not Assigned

7 - Terminal 30

8 - CAN Bus high (Infotainment)

9 - LF left to the Radio -R-

10 - LF ground to the Radio -R-

Black 30-pin connector (T30b)

All pins are connected to the Information Electronics Control Module 1 -J794-.

1 - Left LF-In

2 - Right LF-In

3 - LF ground

4 - LF-In ground shielding

13 - iPod data

14 - iPod data

16 - iPod recognized

17 - D (+)

18 - D (-)

21 - Detect

22 - Ground

24 - CVBS cable (-)

25 - USB (ground)

27 - CVBS cable (+)

28 - USB (+5V)

4-pin multipin connector (T4i) (CAN)

All pins are connected to the Radio -R-.

1 - LF ground

2 - LF left

3 - LF right

4 - Terminal 31
A91-11058

5-pin multipin connector (T5g) (MMI)

All pins are connected to the Information Electronics Control Module 1 -J794-.

1 - LF ground

2 - LF left

3 - LF right

4 - Ground Shielding

5 - Detect

External Audio Source Connection -R199-, Removing and Installing, AMI

Special tools and workshop equipment required

t Radio Removal Tool -T10057-

t Fiber Optic Repair Set -VAS6223B-

t Fiber-Optic Repair Set - Connector Protective Caps -VAS6223/9-.

The External Audio Source Connection -R199- (AMI) is located inside the glove compartment.

– Turn off the ignition and all electrical consumers and remove the ignition key.

WARNING

Danger of unintended engine ignition

Turn off the ignition and remove the ignition key from the vehicle interior for all work performed on the high voltage vehicle.

Removing

– Open the glove compartment.

– Insert the two clips of the Radio Removal Tool -T10057- into the slits on the External Audio Source Connection -R199- until they engage. Points on the grip eyelets of tool face outward.

– Pull External Audio Source Connection -R199- out of mounting frame.

– Disconnect all connectors on the External Audio Source Connection -R199-.

Versions with MOST Bus
A91-10955

– Insert the Fiber-Optic Repair Set - Connector Protective Caps -VAS6223/9--1- onto the MOST Bus connector -2-.

All

– Remove the Radio Removal Tool -T10057-, push locking tabs on External Audio Source Connection -R199- to do so.

Remove the internal control unit

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 04-17-2017 at 03:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CandyGram4Mongo (04-12-2024)
Old 04-17-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Outstanding, Bob!

I did see those slots and the DIN bars came to mind. What are these special tools shaped like? Hooked ends? Or just tabs? If they're like radio removal tools, I can cut those from an old credit card.

The pinouts don't seem to mention anything as simple as BAT and ACC voltage, it looks like the AMI system makes power decisions based on how the device identifies itself, i.e. from the drop resistor used for the purpose?

What does "CVBS" mean??

Posted elsewhere: I found they had given me a BT adapter, not just an "iPod cable" with the car. Sadly, an unbranded $10 "I-Link" adapter that needs an I-thing 4, not later, apparently since my AMI system won't initialize it.

You get karma points for this one! Erwin and I, we just speak different languages.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Outstanding, Bob!

I did see those slots and the DIN bars came to mind. What are these special tools shaped like? Hooked ends? Or just tabs? If they're like radio removal tools, I can cut those from an old credit card.

The pinouts don't seem to mention anything as simple as BAT and ACC voltage, it looks like the AMI system makes power decisions based on how the device identifies itself, i.e. from the drop resistor used for the purpose?

What does "CVBS" mean??

Posted elsewhere: I found they had given me a BT adapter, not just an "iPod cable" with the car. Sadly, an unbranded $10 "I-Link" adapter that needs an I-thing 4, not later, apparently since my AMI system won't initialize it.

You get karma points for this one! Erwin and I, we just speak different languages.
CVBS means either - "Central Valley Birding Symposium" or Colour Video Blanking Sync, Colour Video Blanking Syncs, Composite Video Broadcast Signal

On the keys........I own these and I believe that is the narrow pointed one on the right works for the AMI.

RRK-86 SET OF 3 in 1 STEREO HEAD UNIT RELEASE REMOVAL KEYS FORD VW AUDI CAR VAN

This is the set that you should buy...........

Astro Pneumatics 44 Piece Master Radio Removal Set AST78444: Advance Auto Parts

The easiest way to find your voltage answer is to pull the 12 pin connector and measure each pin, just a warning to be very careful as some of these pins are connected to the fragile CAN BUS, you don't want to short any of those pins to ground or you can fry some expensive module(s).

What are you trying to do????

Last edited by Bob Petruska; 04-17-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Pinout of AMI glove box connection?