Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Please help - Water in gas tank- A lot of water.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Please help - Water in gas tank- A lot of water.

Once again I ask for suggestions. My son in law inadvertently pumped almost a full tank of brackish nasty type water in my granddaughters 2010 q5 3.2. Don't ask. It stalled soon after and through a gas line type pump, he pumped all the water out of the gas tank. He has added something called sea foam to the tank with gas. Car does not crank and we've been advised that the plugs are probably fouled. My question is what special care has to be taken in changing plugs or injectors in Audi. We will try to find someone familiar with Audi to do this for her. Also, what other precautions should we take for getting the q5 back in good running condition? What permanent harm could have been done by this water fiasco? As always, I do appreciate any input on a solution to this screw up.
Wil

Last edited by Wilson38; 11-19-2016 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 228 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson38
Once again I ask for suggestions. My son in law inadvertently pumped almost a full tank of brackish nasty type water in my granddaughters 2010 q5 3.2. Don't ask. It stalled soon after and through a gas line type pump, he pumped all the water out of the gas tank. He has added something called sea foam to the tank with gas. Car does not crank and we've been advised that the plugs are probably fouled. My question is what special care has to be taken in changing plugs or injectors in Audi. We will try to find someone familiar with Audi to do this for her. Also, what other precautions should we take for getting the q5 back in good running condition? What permanent harm could have been done by this water fiasco? As always, I do appreciate any input on a solution to this screw up.
Wil
OUCH!

If the water was dirty, You need a "dealer" to remove the fuel tank to flush it out including all the internal guts (transfer pump, sending unit, internal hoses). Then you need to clean the high pressure pump, replace fuel filter, flush fuel lines. You may end up replacing the fuel pumps. Hopefully the injectors are not clogged by the dirt but can be and would need to be replaced. Bottom line this can all be very costly!

Please tell us how he possibly pumped in a full than of water?
Old 11-19-2016, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
OUCH!

If the water was dirty, You need a "dealer" to remove the fuel tank to flush it out including all the internal guts (transfer pump, sending unit, internal hoses). Then you need to clean the high pressure pump, replace fuel filter, flush fuel lines. You may end up replacing the fuel pumps. Hopefully the injectors are not clogged by the dirt but can be and would need to be replaced. Bottom line this can all be very costly!

+1. Way beyond just DIY with fuel injection, especially high pressure systems found with direct injection.

Depending on facts, family stuff and whether or not just an accident as you suggest, it may be one of those unfortunate things that gets pricy enough to turn into insurance. Like driving one car into another in the driveway (or two and the garage door, as a friend's mom recently did...) or leaving the water running in your own home. At least worth a call to your agent if you are covered by a company that uses independent ones and you just want to run it by them--coverage, ramifications, etc.

Do NOT crank any further BTW. If you hydrolock motor by filling up cylinders that can't burn it, it may be worthless. If it was last still cranking (but no start) when you gave up, probably still okay there.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-19-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 02:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the reply Bob. I sure wish it was a little less depressing a reply. As for how, I'm reminded of a gangster movie "A History Of Violence" where William Hurt stands over a dying underling after he botched a simple strangulation from behind whacking. He leaned over and in disbelief screamed "How do you F that up" as if there was no way to mess the killing up the easy way it was supposedly set up. I feel like asking my son in law the same question in the same tone.
Anyway in answer to the question how, this is what I understand. Son in law was pumping gas for my granddaughter, filling it up from close to empty, thinking he was really helping her out. About a mile later it quit, not to start again. After a huge ordeal involving rain, cold, and his nephews flat bed hauler, they got it home and pumped the gas tank empty with some type of pump hooked to the fuel line. The water they pumped out had a blackish film on top. Not that it fixes anything, but several autos were knocked out of commission from the same station. He's in the process of having them assume liability, however our main immediate concern is to get it fixed and fixed right. Alas, that disaster note / reply you posted tells me this is only the beginning and its not going to be simple.
Both he and she must have forgotten the memo about using only premium from a reputable station like Shell. Anyway, I sincerely appreciate the reply and I do hope you are a little wrong about the extent of the damage. One only hopes.
Wil
Old 11-19-2016, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

MP4, thanks also. Your words are not very soothing either. I do appreciate the honesty as this repair needs to be done correctly regardless of the amount. Your insurance suggestion may just be what is needed depending on what's eventually involved and deductible amount. Thanks again.
Wil
Old 11-19-2016, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear this happened to you. I had a tank of water pumped in my 2010 Q5 by a gas station in Oregon when their tank cracked and high tide came in. Anyways, the car had to go to the dealer and it was a $1200 repair to flush and purge the entire fuel system. They didn't have to replace the fuel filter/pumps or any components but the entire engine needed re-primed. If it makes you feel any better, I had the water at 77K miles and after the repair I am up to 126K miles with no issues. Fortunately for me the gas station footed the bill as it was obviously their fault. The station owned up to it and I had the receipt from the fill up which helped. I had to pay out of pocket initially to get the repair done and the gas station's insurance company paid that bill in full. Getting the water out relatively quickly will prevent any corrosion within the engine fuel system. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Old 11-19-2016, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson38
MP4, thanks also. Your words are not very soothing either. I do appreciate the honesty as this repair needs to be done correctly regardless of the amount. Your insurance suggestion may just be what is needed depending on what's eventually involved and deductible amount. Thanks again.
Wil
Yep, sorry to hear but being sober and direct to minimize chances of the bad dream heading further south if you can avoid it.

Check carefully what part of an insurance policy it fits, particularly comprehensive if you have the related collision. Your agent would know these kinds of things, and if an independent maybe can give you some do's and don'ts for how to frame the claim. For me if it is comprehensive, the $500 collision becomes $100 comprehensive. Windshields, rock strikes and straight flooding would be typical comprehensive coverage examples from some experience (though never a water/flood one). And if it fits into your insurance for starters in a rational way, your carrier can duke it out with the gas station/their insurance and also get your deductible back perhaps.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 11-19-2016 at 04:56 PM.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
OUCH!

There is an access cover for the gas tank under the pass. rear seat cushion, so the removal of the gas tank may not be required, since there is an access to the fuel line as well there.
Old 11-19-2016, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Update; Looks like Monday before grandson can get something started. He intends to talk to Audi dealer and local foreign (German) auto repair shop. He will decide which to trust then get them started. Then comes the search for whose liable. Maybe he has insurance with the company actor JK Simmons touts as knowing a thing or two cause they've seen a thing or two. It looks like he will wish he had Allstate's protection against mayhem as it certainly sounds like a visit from Mayhem.
Thanks again, Will
Old 11-19-2016, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by abacon09
Sorry to hear this happened to you. I had a tank of water pumped in my 2010 Q5 by a gas station in Oregon when their tank cracked and high tide came in. Anyways, the car had to go to the dealer and it was a $1200 repair to flush and purge the entire fuel system. They didn't have to replace the fuel filter/pumps or any components but the entire engine needed re-primed. If it makes you feel any better, I had the water at 77K miles and after the repair I am up to 126K miles with no issues. Fortunately for me the gas station footed the bill as it was obviously their fault. The station owned up to it and I had the receipt from the fill up which helped. I had to pay out of pocket initially to get the repair done and the gas station's insurance company paid that bill in full. Getting the water out relatively quickly will prevent any corrosion within the engine fuel system. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks Abacon, we got hers at 73K miles in Jan 2016, now at 88K. We can only pray for 126k with no further issues. Thanks for the glimmer of hope. Wil

Quick Reply: Please help - Water in gas tank- A lot of water.