Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2017, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by salamanca
- Does the vehicle still need to be under warranty?

- I’ve owned my vehicle for about a month. Since getting it, I’ve done a stage 1 tune. I got an oil change 5 days ago and my oil light came on these evening. We’re talking less than 200 miles.

I am definitely driving aggressively but is this beyond abnormal oil consumption?

2010 A4

Thanks!!
First, wrong forum, this is the Q5 forum.

Plus you have a stage1 tune which flags the ECU as a TD1 warranty void.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ugh. My 63,000 mi 2011 Q5 is burning oil at an accelerated rate. Every quart gives me fewer miles.
I'm at about 1000 mi/qt now.
Does your car need to be on a VIN list to be covered to 80k mi.
Maybe I should wait to take it in till it gets worse, so there is no doubt.
My 2011 ST 2 GTi doesnt burn a drop.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bassace
Ugh. My 63,000 mi 2011 Q5 is burning oil at an accelerated rate. Every quart gives me fewer miles.
I'm at about 1000 mi/qt now.
Does your car need to be on a VIN list to be covered to 80k mi.
Maybe I should wait to take it in till it gets worse, so there is no doubt.
My 2011 ST 2 GTi doesnt burn a drop.
My 2012 is not on the VIN list, but Audi asked me to do a consumption test. I'm down to about 450 miles per quart, and just under 80,000 miles. We'll see if Audi covers me. Of course, I may just trade it before it even needs oil again. My wife wants it gone.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, first time caller, long time listener.

I recently purchased a used Audi Q5 2.0T from a local Toyota dealership, with 105,000 miles on it. I'm at least the second owner, no idea of previous service history or owner history. Paid $14k cash for her. Didn't check the oil level on the MMI when I drove it off the lot (didn't know i needed to, they said oil had been changed).

Anyway, drive it about a week and the oil level light (yellow) comes on. It was what i know know to be 1/4 quart below the bottom of the oil gauge indicator. It took 1.25 quarts to get it back to Max. The wife has driven it to work and back every day since, and we have taken it to New Orleans (about 700 miles round trip). Oil level was showing 3/4 full when we got back. that was on 11/1. It's now 11/9 and all the way at the bottom of the gauge again.

At approximately 1500 miles driven since purchase, I've now had to top it off again with another quart. So somewhere between 2 and 3 quarts used in 1500 miles.

I called the Toyota place first, dropped it off they couldn't find anything wrong with the plug or any signs of leaks. They probably added some to top it off, not sure. My best guess it it is burning a quart every 500 miles.

Called the Audi dealership in Birmingham, briefly explained the above to the girl on the phone and her immediate reply was "You will need the pistons and piston rings replaced, and it will cost about $4,600." I was kind of taken aback. "You don't even want to look at it first?" "You can bring it in if you want, but this is a known issue, I'm 99% sure you'll need new pistons and rings". Ok, FML.

Questions:

1. Should I bother asking them to go ahead and do Phase 1, PCV replacement + crankshaft seal + ECO re-flash? Or would this be a waste of money given my oil consumption rate?

2. What risks am i taking if i keep a close eye on the oil level and add 1/2 quart every time the gauge drops to half? Has anyone taken this approach, and how long did you keep feeding it oil before it failed?

3. What are the odds that the engine will be damaged already when they go to add new pistons and rings, and they turn around and tell me i need a new engine? I'm not buying a new engine.

4. Would I be dumb to call around to independent mechanics and inquire about piston and ring replacements? it's not like i have a warranty to void or anything.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by nparker4764
Hi, first time caller, long time listener.

I recently purchased a used Audi Q5 2.0T from a local Toyota dealership, with 105,000 miles on it. I'm at least the second owner, no idea of previous service history or owner history. Paid $14k cash for her. Didn't check the oil level on the MMI when I drove it off the lot (didn't know i needed to, they said oil had been changed).

Anyway, drive it about a week and the oil level light (yellow) comes on. It was what i know know to be 1/4 quart below the bottom of the oil gauge indicator. It took 1.25 quarts to get it back to Max. The wife has driven it to work and back every day since, and we have taken it to New Orleans (about 700 miles round trip). Oil level was showing 3/4 full when we got back. that was on 11/1. It's now 11/9 and all the way at the bottom of the gauge again.

At approximately 1500 miles driven since purchase, I've now had to top it off again with another quart. So somewhere between 2 and 3 quarts used in 1500 miles.

I called the Toyota place first, dropped it off they couldn't find anything wrong with the plug or any signs of leaks. They probably added some to top it off, not sure. My best guess it it is burning a quart every 500 miles.

Called the Audi dealership in Birmingham, briefly explained the above to the girl on the phone and her immediate reply was "You will need the pistons and piston rings replaced, and it will cost about $4,600." I was kind of taken aback. "You don't even want to look at it first?" "You can bring it in if you want, but this is a known issue, I'm 99% sure you'll need new pistons and rings". Ok, FML.

Questions:

1. Should I bother asking them to go ahead and do Phase 1, PCV replacement + crankshaft seal + ECO re-flash? Or would this be a waste of money given my oil consumption rate?

2. What risks am i taking if i keep a close eye on the oil level and add 1/2 quart every time the gauge drops to half? Has anyone taken this approach, and how long did you keep feeding it oil before it failed?

3. What are the odds that the engine will be damaged already when they go to add new pistons and rings, and they turn around and tell me i need a new engine? I'm not buying a new engine.

4. Would I be dumb to call around to independent mechanics and inquire about piston and ring replacements? it's not like i have a warranty to void or anything.

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks in advance.
First, you need to use a borescope in the spark plug holes to see if the cylinder walls are scored. If they are not, then the rings/pistons replaced are the option. If the borescope shows cylinder wall scoring, then you need an new engine block also. I don't believe that you can can rebore Audi engines, they have an embedded special cylinder wall material and I don't believe that they sell oversized pistons and rings for the 2.0T. Thus if no cylinder scoring, then the piston/ring replacement now is the cheapest cost, if you wait and a ring breaks ( they eventually do) cylinder wall scoring takes place, then you will need a new block also and the costs start to approach what you paid for the Q5.
Old 11-09-2017, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Bob Petruska
First, you need to use a borescope in the spark plug holes to see if the cylinder walls are scored. If they are not, then the rings/pistons replaced are the option. If the borescope shows cylinder wall scoring, then you need an new engine block also. I don't believe that you can can rebore Audi engines, they have an embedded special cylinder wall material and I don't believe that they sell oversized pistons and rings for the 2.0T. Thus if no cylinder scoring, then the piston/ring replacement now is the cheapest cost, if you wait and a ring breaks ( they eventually do) cylinder wall scoring takes place, then you will need a new block also and the costs start to approach what you paid for the Q5.
ugh.

thanks for the reply.
Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

With only 1500 miles since purchase, I would think you have recourse with the Toyota dealer you purchased the vehicle from?
Old 11-13-2017, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Parker, What year is your Q5? Can you post the manufacture date on the front engine sticker?
I am also experiencing increased oil consumption but the Audi dealer we purchased it used from wont offer much help until we fail the 1 quart/500 mile oil consumption test.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by NickP1969
I have a scheduled oil change (my pay) and requested the oil consumption test for next week. Should they be charging me for the oil change and filter? Is there a specific bulletin number?
I wish I found this earlier, I just bought a 2011 Audi A4 quattro 2.0t s-line 2 months ago as my first car, always seemed to need a top up every 3-4 days of driving, and it wasn't huge distances. took it to the dealer and the mechanic told me to just keep topping it up when it gave me the low oil warning. Now exactly a month after i took it in my car started to shake during the first startup of the day, and my oil light when on, recently it has started flashing on startups but goes back to being still once the car is warmed up. I got an oil change 2 days ago and the problem still persists. I called the dealer yesterday but they havent returned to me, probably because their closed on Sundays. Once I start driving, after probably ill say 30-45 minutes of driving, at random times only when my car is coming to a stop or is idle in traffic for a awhile, Ill get a "Low oil Pressure, Turn off engine now" I would turn off the car once it comes on but end having to turn it back on again and the warning will just go away and not appear again, sometimes for the rest of the day or when I'm idled at the top of my underground garage waiting for the garage door to open. I'd say i see this light 1-3 times a day for the past 2 days. I havent droven much since the check engine light came on, just to the gym and store runs. I'm just wondering what the problem could be because the guys at the shop said they couldnt see anything wrong with it while they were doing the oil change and engine flush. Just recommended that I get a tune up.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Burke98
I wish I found this earlier, I just bought a 2011 Audi A4 quattro 2.0t s-line 2 months ago as my first car, always seemed to need a top up every 3-4 days of driving, and it wasn't huge distances. took it to the dealer and the mechanic told me to just keep topping it up when it gave me the low oil warning. Now exactly a month after i took it in my car started to shake during the first startup of the day, and my oil light when on, recently it has started flashing on startups but goes back to being still once the car is warmed up. I got an oil change 2 days ago and the problem still persists. I called the dealer yesterday but they havent returned to me, probably because their closed on Sundays. Once I start driving, after probably ill say 30-45 minutes of driving, at random times only when my car is coming to a stop or is idle in traffic for a awhile, Ill get a "Low oil Pressure, Turn off engine now" I would turn off the car once it comes on but end having to turn it back on again and the warning will just go away and not appear again, sometimes for the rest of the day or when I'm idled at the top of my underground garage waiting for the garage door to open. I'd say i see this light 1-3 times a day for the past 2 days. I havent droven much since the check engine light came on, just to the gym and store runs. I'm just wondering what the problem could be because the guys at the shop said they couldnt see anything wrong with it while they were doing the oil change and engine flush. Just recommended that I get a tune up.
Just to let you know that this is the "Q5" forum and not the A4

Quick Reply: PLEASE READ - Oil Consumption - Necessary Steps