Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017
Old 07-25-2016, 03:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Q5 FSI Carbon Build-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CrustyNoodle
Deal!

Yes, but I don't think you'd like the answer!
what's the answer? *bracing myself*
Old 01-11-2012, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Answer is: Don't start the engine.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Answer is: Don't start the engine.
Take out the floorboards and YABBA-DABBA-DOOOOO
Old 01-12-2012, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bingo!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took my 2010 Q5 in today because I was also experiencing stalling on morning starts and black smoke blowing out of the exhaust.

They just informed me that there is (3) Fuel injectors leaking and will replace at no charge under warranty.

Thanks for the this post ... very much appreciated.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by somf
Took my 2010 Q5 in today because I was also experiencing stalling on morning starts and black smoke blowing out of the exhaust.

They just informed me that there is (3) Fuel injectors leaking and will replace at no charge under warranty.

Thanks for the this post ... very much appreciated.
DING! DING! DING! The prize goes to noodle man!
Old 01-13-2012, 02:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-10-2012, 04:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Yet another 3.2 Q5 with Clogged Secondary ports

Hi. My name is Dan. I'm new to the Audi brand and to this forum... and I have a carbon problem.

I have a 2010 Prem plus 3.2. Owned for 1 month CPO with 19k miles. Check Engine light came on after I jump started my wife's car. OBD2 said "secondary air port sensor". I thought (prayed) it was a fluke due to the jump start. But it cam returned in a week. The car does have a slight flat spot right off idle, but otherwise starts and runs fine.

Audi dealer says I need the "big one". You know...drop the engine, clean out the little secondary ports in heads. They'll have it for 2-4 days. God only knows what new issues I will have after the tech messes with all of those hoses and wires.

I wanted this car to be a keeper, but now I'm nervous. I can overlook the carbon issues on the intake side, because I'd be willing to wrench away a Saturday to clean out the manifold and valves when the car is out of warranty. But dropping the engine to get access to the secondary ports...? So, here's the question: Anyone have any alternative ways to clean, bypass, modify the secondary air ports? Maybe an aftermarket exhaust manifold with "cleanout access" Maybe a downstream connection from the air pump?

I also have some thoughts about how we Audi owners should address this problem. I will create another post for that. But suffice to say, we need Audi to be our ally, not adversary. And I know how to do it.

Thanks to all of you who have shared so much great information. Without you all I would be very lost.

Godspeed
Old 02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Danarone
Hi. My name is Dan. I'm new to the Audi brand and to this forum... and I have a carbon problem.

I have a 2010 Prem plus 3.2. Owned for 1 month CPO with 19k miles. Check Engine light came on after I jump started my wife's car. OBD2 said "secondary air port sensor". I thought (prayed) it was a fluke due to the jump start. But it cam returned in a week. The car does have a slight flat spot right off idle, but otherwise starts and runs fine.

Audi dealer says I need the "big one". You know...drop the engine, clean out the little secondary ports in heads. They'll have it for 2-4 days. God only knows what new issues I will have after the tech messes with all of those hoses and wires.

I wanted this car to be a keeper, but now I'm nervous. I can overlook the carbon issues on the intake side, because I'd be willing to wrench away a Saturday to clean out the manifold and valves when the car is out of warranty. But dropping the engine to get access to the secondary ports...? So, here's the question: Anyone have any alternative ways to clean, bypass, modify the secondary air ports? Maybe an aftermarket exhaust manifold with "cleanout access" Maybe a downstream connection from the air pump?

I also have some thoughts about how we Audi owners should address this problem. I will create another post for that. But suffice to say, we need Audi to be our ally, not adversary. And I know how to do it.

Thanks to all of you who have shared so much great information. Without you all I would be very lost.

Godspeed
hi Dan. i'm sorry to hear that you got the carbon built-up issue so early. in my opinion, i think the only thing to correct that problem is cleaning and nothing else. i know that AUDI recommends using top tier gasoline and if not available add fuel additives...! this is ridiculous for me but what can you do. there is a big thread on Audizine.com for that issue and you will find that one of guys there wrote a letter to AUDI, take a look into it and if you can do anything beside this please do it. we all like that brand and for me i like my Q5 to the extent that i traded a 2010 subaru forester to 2009 Q5, so i wish AUDI will take it serious and do something. by the way my car (32000 miles) will be at the dealer to fix that problem next week and i'll post what they will do.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Danarone

Godspeed
Dan I got the big one done on my 2010 Q5premium plus with 30K on it, they end up having it for a week but it was OK they let me a Q7 in the meantime. Three days latter the light lit up again. Brought it back for 2 days and that was a month ago everything seems fine. I could not find anything to fix the problem if or when it will happen again.... My solution ..I'm selling it to buy a 2012 2.0 q5 supposely they don't have the problem

Quick Reply: Q5 FSI Carbon Build-up