Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 Hybrid System Fault

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts

My reaction is similarly, just not enough information to go on. Conceptually, the Hybrid seems to have three main tweaks (relative to a 2.0T quattro or others) that may be in play:

1. The actual drive unit, which is a big donut/pancake sort of assembly that sits where a torque converter normally does and is responsible for both the actual propulsion, as well as the regeneration function and starting. Post seems centered here, but I'm skeptical given thin diagnostics and other basic checks that logically would come into play--starting with things as simple as trans. fluid level. That is, realize the drive unit is really just an add on to the basic ZF8 transmission, cleverly placed where the torque converter normally is. I think ZF are really the guys who did this implementation--rather than Audi. BMW's in hybrid form seems similar.

2. The Hybrid control electronics, which are a distinct module in the motor area. This failed on ours under warranty. Diagnostics happened well above dealer level, and they had to get part from the Vaterland once they figured it out.

3. The engine ECU, which presumably is modified to interface with the Hybrid control electronics module.

And maybe, 4?: The Mechatronics module normally in a ZF transmission. This used to be an external TCU/TCM type box, but starting with 6 speed ZF automatics it got placed internally along with the valve body. I don't recall much of any mention of it for Hybrids, but must still be there to control all the usual shifting. The valve body/Mechatronics also controls torque converter lock up, but there is none on a Hybrid. Thus, this part is logically modified too, at least at the control electronics level.

Regardless of geography, IF the diagnostics are concluding as to a given part malfunction, I would use whatever the wrecking yard databases are for your location, as well as Ebay--or get an independent shop with trans. type knowledge with Audis/ZF to do it. Thus, if in France, you still have access to all the EU related outlets and country level Ebay's. While I have had no need for Hybrid specialized parts, honestly with a even lower volume W12 I wish we had as many used parts for it as are found on ebay.de and others. Also consider finding the ZF transmission workshop type places as an alternative. My impression is those exist in Europe, while in the USA their support is much more diluted and hard to find. It may take some calls and research, but realize there are more than just Audis with similar hybrid set ups in a longitudinal drive layout--the Touareg, Cayenne, a bunch of BMW's now, etc. ZF is in common to all of them AFAIK.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 07-02-2019 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

Good idea - ebay.de

Look at this item: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Audi-Q5-8R-H...MAAOSwtRlbjUjq

Selling for 200 euro used. I bet Audi would charge 10 times that for new.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rant: Q5 Hybrid Problems

I currently have a 2014 Q5 Hybrid and i've got the yellow lights as described. I couldn't get the car started. "Hybrid System Fail"
I took it to the dealership and they said it was the AUX battery at the back. So we replaced it. Everything worked out fine.
My wife and i decided to drive down to Portland Oregon and that's where we had to cut our trip short. We noticed the problem again. But this time, we were stuck for 30 mins at a time when we stopped for food, etc.
Had to tow the car back to the dealership.

The dealership diagnosed it was the JX1 Module. The module that turns on the hybrid system which then turns on the q5. The part alone cost over $10k. FML The only way i can sell the q5 was to repair it.
On Top of that my warranty had expired.
I also informed AUDI Canada that this is unacceptable. So they looked into paying a portion of the repair cost.

Part arrived however, the part was damaged. They had to send the part back to Germany. I had to wait for another month til the part arrived. Finally, all the repairs have been completed. Now just waiting for the dealership to give me a call to pay for the repairs. Luckly, i got a loaner q5 to drive for 3 months.

Good luck to everyone who has the Q5 Hybrid. Sell it before your warranty has expired.

Originally Posted by Jonathan Blasco
Thanks for all you answer and advises. I had a friend with contact at another Audi garage and they will try to do other investigation. I let you know.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello i have the same problem with my 2011 Q5 hybrid imported from switzerland to the UK, the garage are quoting me 7500£ to repair it - any ideas ? the RAC guy said he thought it was the hybrid battery as they only last about 8 years