Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 now or wait and see about Porsche Mccan???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jcom
Watch this documentary about the X3 factory in South Carolina and you may have a different view. It blew my mind.

National Geographic Megafactories BMW X3 - YouTube
It's a mystery why a company producing some of the best designed cars, makes a turd like the X3. The side profile and lines are just bad. Not bashing BMW. I owned 4 Bimmers including E36 and E46 M3s. But this thing? A Kia Sportage looks much better than the X3. I feel the same way about GLK. Just not a good design, unlike other cars in MB's lineup.
Old 09-02-2013, 12:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Gents just picked up a new 2014 Q5 2.0T and got a great deal and very well equipped vehicle for around $45k. Likely could have gotten either a TDI or SQ5 with similar savings also nicely optioned. Audi just seems to bundle their cars that way so you can get a nice vehicle packaged with what you want/need at a reasonable cost point.

Porsche is almost the opposite. I've had 3 911's, 1 Boxster, 1 Cayenne and just traded a Panamera for the Q5 so I kinda have a clue on purchasing Porsches I think. Great cars. Well made and the best driving experience you could want BUT to get the car you want [or think you do] you will pay out of the nose! Part of this is the beauty of Porsche which lets you build a car to suit your needs...hell I think all call dealers should do this as most sales managers IMHO often order cars on their lots loaded with options to maximize profit NOT how I'd outfit MY car if I was filling out the build sheet. One reason why I've basically ordered almost 1/2 the cars I've owned. Because no I do not want the automatic coffee maker/lane changer and back massage thank you Mr Sales Mgr but would rather have a basic 6sp manual, Sat radio, Nav and Ipod thanks and that's it! LOL

But really guys by the time you finish optioning out a Porsche almost ANY Porsche for daily living and driving you've already gone about at least $10k above whatever the MSRP stated was the "bottom line" and even then you've more than likely left or crossed a few things off your list lest you spend 1/3 of the car's base price on options. This is VERY VERY easy to do in a Porsche dealership at sales time. Hell my C4S stickered out at over $116k and I think the base on those was high $80k. GT3 seats alone in the 911 are like $10k for the set and that's just the front pair guys! Doubt very seriously the new Macan will be ANY different and offer any price breaks for those who take the plunge vs say a SQ5. Research carefully and plan on what you must have and what you can do without is my advice...even then you may be sorely disappointed on what your Macan looks like on the other side of the assembly line!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is true and one reason why I bought my SQ5. My 2012 2S cab options cost was $30 k without batting an eye. Automatic transmission (PDK) is a $5k option.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by koobah
It's a mystery why a company producing some of the best designed cars, makes a turd like the X3. The side profile and lines are just bad. Not bashing BMW. I owned 4 Bimmers including E36 and E46 M3s. But this thing? A Kia Sportage looks much better than the X3. I feel the same way about GLK. Just not a good design, unlike other cars in MB's lineup.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
True, though remember that Kia's got one of the former Audi design guys on their side now.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
It is. I'm sure some folks find Audis unappealing, yet the X3 was named "the village idiot in a family of geniuses" in the "worst car of the world" episode of Top Gear. Watch from 17:20 to about 20:00. Actually the whole episode is quite interesting (and sorry for the foreign link, but it was the only one I cold find). http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNDc4NzI0MzEy.html
Old 09-27-2013, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Macan price leaked and the turbo will start at $75k. It's based on the current exchange rate, so not necessarily reflecting US pricing. More: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/porsche...se-date-leaked
Old 09-27-2013, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been driving Porsches since 1971 (still have that one) and Audis since 1980 (5000S- don't have that one) and had a first gen Cayenne S which we loved. Had PASM and we towed an enclosed aluminum trailer with a spec Miata and it did great. Just didn't want it out of warranty!!
Had a Cayenne diesel loaner this summer for a couple weeks and was really impressed, but just didn't want something quite that big for a DD. Wondered about waiting for a Macan, but didn't want a brand new vehicle and would want to wait a year or so to work some bugs out (like the first Cayenne).

Picking up my new TDI S-line+ tomorrow and can't wait. I'm sure it will do me fine for several years and by that time, I can see if the Macan is a viable option.