Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q5 vs MDX vs RDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with the comments here re the RDX and MDX. Some months back, my lease on LEXUS RX 350 was coming up. Anyhow, I briefly drove the RX and MDX. The RDX was way too rough a ride and the turbo kicking in was loud. The MDX had a much nicer ride than the RDX, and a lot more of a pleasant "feel" than the Lexus. But it was "big" and the gas mileage was poor. Literally after 2 minutes in the Q5, I knew this was the car/SUV for me. Ride is incredible, just the right size for me and my family - wife and 12 y/o daughter. If the reliability holds up (fingers crossed here) I would strongly consider buying after my lease is up or getting a new one.

Bob
Old 10-02-2009, 07:09 AM
kjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by docboy
My wife has her Lexus RX [which] she loves.
My wife also has an RX, which she likes more than any car she has ever driven. We have several freinds (all women) who have RXs, and all absolutely rave about them. I am constantly amazed how well Lexus hit the mark with its target customer group with that vehicle.

Originally Posted by The G Man
With the Q5, you can do a 100 MPH and feel like you are doing 65.
I found this when I test drove a Q5. I was driving on the interstate up through steep, winding, twisting canyon, having a great time. The Q5 felt rock solid and glued to the road. I looked down at the speedometer, and was shocked to see I was driving over 85 and accelerating! If I get a Q5, I'm going to have to be very careful.

Kelly
Old 10-02-2009, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kjf
My wife also has an RX, which she likes more than any car she has ever driven. We have several freinds (all women) who have RXs, and all absolutely rave about them. I am constantly amazed how well Lexus hit the mark with its target customer group with that vehicle.
Owners like your wife is the target buyers for the RX, it is Lexus design intention to design a car for middle age woman. Dont tell your wife I called her middle age please
Although some females like the driving dynamics of the German cars better, most females choose ride comfort over performance. Dont forget the most important factor why the RX is a top seller for female. Most female dont know much about cars, therefore they would want a very reliable car because everytime they go into a dealership to repair a car, they feel be-little because of their lack of knowledge. Lexus knows this and try to treat the female owners in a way that make them feel good about going into the dealership. In a way, Lexus have all the angles cover when it comes to catering to the RX's female owner and what they want.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

go for Q! Q definetly won't be as comfortable as a RX but you do get a much more sporty feel. Rx has a bigger cargo area however, the Q has a lot of passanger space especially leg room. The Q is my first Audi and so far I'm loving it.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:29 PM
kjf
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by qsuv
Rx has a bigger cargo area . . . .
My wife's RX is a 2002 (she is notoriously tight fisted and replaces cars only when forced to). It's cargo space is only marginally larger than the Q5. The 2010 RX is quite a bit larger.

The RXs are definitely, and effectively, targeted to women.

Kelly
Old 10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kjf
My wife's RX is a 2002 (she is notoriously tight fisted and replaces cars only when forced to). It's cargo space is only marginally larger than the Q5. The 2010 RX is quite a bit larger.

Kelly
Yeah, I meant the 2010 rx's. Their cargo area is much larger than Q.
Old 10-02-2009, 03:24 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default what woman want

Originally Posted by kjf

Kelly
I've given up on trying to convince my wife to drive "driver's" cars for the qualities that satisfy me, as it does most Audi and BMW drivers for instance. I took her to the Audi dealership last week and showed her the new A5 convertable and would you believe, she loved it! But she loved it because of the fact that it's a convertable and for the color - and that's it. If she likes the Lexus, no problem, just as long as she's happy I say. I'll keep enjoying my Audi.