Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Rear Tail light Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Tail light Replacement

I did a search and did not find anything on it. I had to change the bumper rear tail light due to my girlfriends exceptional driving. I bought a cheap china replacement and not all the lights worked. Bought the Audi part and it still doesn't work quite right. Same part number. What am I missing here? Does it need to be "Learned" to the computer or something silly?
Old 03-03-2019, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 225 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by pktrusty
I did a search and did not find anything on it. I had to change the bumper rear tail light due to my girlfriends exceptional driving. I bought a cheap china replacement and not all the lights worked. Bought the Audi part and it still doesn't work quite right. Same part number. What am I missing here? Does it need to be "Learned" to the computer or something silly?
What lights don't work? You do realize that some of the "bumper" lights only work when the hatchback in in the open/up position...…...
Old 03-03-2019, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had a blond moment. I had purchased lower bumper tail light replacement from China. The wiring setup was wrong and was missing the outside side marker hole all together. I purchased a Audi Direct replacement and installed. It did not work either. I did not have a chance to look at it till this morning. Apparently either I forgot to plug it in before I installed or it didn't click and came out. Situation is fixed now. It has been a long week and I everything sorted now on my gf's car.
Old 03-03-2019, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The reason I asked about decoding is because the Chinese guy was telling me that the light needed to be "learned" to the computer. The rear tail light is literally wires and bulbs so I figured if it was wired the same it should work. That is where my confusion came from. Thank
Old 03-05-2019, 06:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pktrusty
I had a blond moment. I had purchased lower bumper tail light replacement from China. The wiring setup was wrong and was missing the outside side marker hole all together. I purchased a Audi Direct replacement and installed. It did not work either. I did not have a chance to look at it till this morning. Apparently either I forgot to plug it in before I installed or it didn't click and came out. Situation is fixed now. It has been a long week and I everything sorted now on my gf's car.
Glad you got it sorted out. You are right to think that there is anything to be "learned" in this situation. its just a light.
Old 03-06-2019, 01:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

I replaced both of my taillights recently, I used OEM Magneti Marelli parts and even fit a couple of (can bus friendly) backup lights, it might have been the easiest DIY ever, no more than 5 minutes on each corner
Old 03-10-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Iggy-
They are the Audi OEM manufacturer?
Where did you get them?
Old 03-10-2019, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 86 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
Iggy-
They are the Audi OEM manufacturer?
Where did you get them?
Magneti Marelli is indeed an OEM supplier and these tailgate lights fit perfectly, look amazing and come with light bulbs, I replaced my left one and soon after I replaced the right one since that one was looking tired: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F361385785761

Last edited by uncleiggy; 03-10-2019 at 06:04 PM.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

First I purchased a chinese replacement that did not have a spot for the side marker on the bumper tail light. I did buy a OEM replacement and forgot to plug it in I was in such a hurry. But I decided to make the spot for the corner marker and use the harness from the old light on the chinese replacement. It worked so I sold the OEM one. My OEM was from Ebay. A dealer was clearing out some parts.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Were they simply the lowest cost OEM source you could find? Or were there other reasons for choosing this supplier?

(I still suspect that Audi sends around trolls to pull all the Q5's out of the pick-a-part yards, there's just no way used parts can be so impossible to find!)

Quick Reply: Rear Tail light Replacement