Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 12:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Audi Technical Bulletin relating to this well known problem :
10/26/17 Electrical and Air Conditioning NHTSA ID: 10120837
TSB ID: A971549 2040747-

The customer states that no gear is selected after the engine restarts from a start-stop phase. the car must then be shifted from d-->n-->d or from d-->p-->d for the first gear to be selected. the issue may be intermittent.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shokhead
I'm sure glad I do not have the start-stop system for several reasons now.
Ditto. Was the start/stop system available on the '14 SQ5 or on later model years? I never liked that technology anyway.....
Old 02-09-2018, 05:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It's not on my 14 but I think it is in the 15 on.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not on my '14 SQ5 either...

Jason
New York
Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ancientbr
Car returned from dealer today after 60k (kms) /4 year service ( though has only done 38k) . I detailed problem with dealer and fact that it is occurring every week when engine is warm. Surprise, surprise diagnostics revealed no faults. So back to square one. dealer has suggested that i take car in for a check of transmission next week - another A$300-. So will try but am not hopeful. Fault occurs when I come to a full stop/foot on brake and doesn't seem to make any difference if auto engine switch off is disabled or not. So car is in drive and won't engage gears when I pull away- the engine just revs as if the clutch is engaged. To resolve this I have to put car into P and then back into D/S - meanwhile cars behind are somewhat annoyed as to why I am sitting there not moving - always seems to happen at traffic lights!. This is the only fault with the car and now, for all journeys I disable the auto function and when stopping I place foot lightly on brakes so i can feel the transmission engage . Await further developments!
I had the same problem,I have already change solenoid valves and replaced dualclutch.Its better now the only problem is when its shifting down from 2nd gear to 1st gear to stop.I am going to take it in for transmission software update though I am not if its only done by the dealer.
Old 07-05-2020, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Which Melbourne mechanic/service centre did you use to fix this problem? I've got the same issue and no one i've called seems to have ever heard of it. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2020, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default SQ5 Wiring Harness | Melbourne

Originally Posted by Ancientbr
OK. car returned from its follow up check. I wasn't overly optimistic that they would be able to fix this . However, a check of the wiring harness revealed that there was a fault in the wiring connectors between the engine ECU and the Transmission ( ECU ?) . Apparently this caused a drop in resistance when the brake pedal was released and the car accelerated from a standstill. This required replacement of the relevant part of the wiring harness.- cheap ( around US$45, but 3 +hours labour. ) I was told by my dealer ( in Melbourne, Australia ) that a TPI had been raised - which I believe is Audi speak for a request for a fix from Audi's global dealers reporting this problem . So if that is the case then any dealer should be able to obtain the information a to how to remedy this. Of course, the car has only been back a few days so this may still be a problem. I have been running it with the stop/start engaged and it does seem to require more pressure on the accelerator to move off from standstill and there is a slight hesitancy before forward movement is achieved. But so far so good. I would add that, after initially telling me that they would charge me for this repair , ( car is now 1 year out of warranty ) I told them that I had reported this at the last 2 annual services and that nothing had been found. I was then phoned 30 mins later to say that the work would be done free as a " goodwill" gesture.
Just wondering who in Melbourne you used to fix this issue? I've got the same problem and would love to take it somewhere that are aware of the issue. Thanks so much.
Old 07-05-2020, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,

any AUDI main dealer should be able to look up this fault on their VAG system. It requires replacement of a part of the wiring harness as mentioned above.
Here are the details:

The Audi Technical Bulletin relating to this well known problem :
10/26/17 Electrical and Air Conditioning NHTSA ID: 10120837
TSB ID: A971549 2040747-

The customer states that no gear is selected after the engine restarts from a start-stop phase. the car must then be shifted from d-->n-->d or from d-->p-->d for the first gear to be selected. the issue may be intermittent.
The following users liked this post:
apoelistas (07-05-2020)
Old 07-05-2020, 11:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

Reminds me the same issue manufacturer had with its 8 speed gearbox (Same as CR-Vs) which they had to replace harness but also firmware update the transmission.

Are you sure guys that there is no firmware update involved as well for this fix???