Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Suggestions on Oil Consumption, 2015

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions on Oil Consumption, 2015

We got our Q5 2.0T last April and we were getting 1k per quart. A few months ago it started hitting about over 600 miles before needing a quart. Last month we took it in to get serviced because the EPC light came on while driving and the car was shaking. The garage that our warranty had us take it two found no issues. Car was working fine when it got there and no errors, it just fixed itself go figure. Mechanic road tested it all weekend and nothing. He changed out the coils and plugs just to be sure. I haven't had the EPC issue since, but now I'm getting about 360 miles and I need to add a quart of oil.

I asked the mechanic about the consumption and warranty company will only authorize work if a part is broken. The carfax from the dealership is clean with no issues. Since the warranty company will only pay for a broken part what would you recommend? I see on the forms people talk about Stage 1 or Stage 2 repairs because of oil consumption. Is that something you just take to the Audi dealership and tell them? We didn't buy it from an Audi dealer and when i called the dealership we got it from they said we should contact our local Audi dealer.

This is our first Audi, Bought it at 88k and it's now at 105k. Everything works fine and haven't had any issues except this oil consumption and I don't want it to compound into something larger. I guess the EPC was an issue but since it fixed itself...yeah lol.

We do a lot of highway driving so 360 miles per quart is a bit frustrating. Any advice?
Old 05-23-2022, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 364 Likes on 330 Posts

What year is your 2.0T? Have you replaced the PCV? If you have hit all the easy things then it probably needs new pistons/rings. This is about a $5,000 job with an indy to do it correctly as a permanent fix, an Audi dealer will charge closer to $10,000.

For the shaking, did your mechanic scan the car for codes with something like VCDS? Sounds like misfires. With that much oil consumption I would expect your plugs are very fouled.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Oil consumption on the 2.0T's seems to be the most common reason owners come to this site. There should be a sticky or something (but then what will we spend out time on?)

These engines suffer from oil level sensor, PCV and oil ring failures.

First, the oil level sensor misreports the oil level and then owners overfill and ruin their engines, so the first task to definitively determine that oil is actually low. Get a physical dipstick or drain and measure how much comes out.
Second, the PCV is cheap and easy to replace.
Third, replace the rings. This will be a $3k job unless Audi does it ($5k+ ? or $12k+ for a new engine?) We've seen prices all over the board, silver_tt probably has a "cut and paste" answer (or search the forums for the other oil consumption threads) and knows which parts numbers etc. you'll need.

You're also at the mileage that the timing chain needs to be replaced.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. It's a 2015. I have not had PCV replaced. The mechanic did say it was misfires but I took it to the garage on a Tuesday and when he finally got to it on he could not get it to replicate the issue as it was working fine when he first fired it up. Since he couldn't find any issues he recommended the coil/plug change just in case and recommended some things they could do to help with the oil consumption. The manual says at 105k is when timing chain needs replacing so not sure if that would help either.

We were getting a little over 600miles per quart and now coils and plugs changed and it dropped by almost half that. So get dipstick to manually check along with replacing PCV should be done first then look at rings? Can a mechanic check if rings are bad or do you pretty much replace them?
Old 05-24-2022, 07:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 107 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Redexquisite
Thanks. It's a 2015. I have not had PCV replaced. The mechanic did say it was misfires but I took it to the garage on a Tuesday and when he finally got to it on he could not get it to replicate the issue as it was working fine when he first fired it up. Since he couldn't find any issues he recommended the coil/plug change just in case and recommended some things they could do to help with the oil consumption. The manual says at 105k is when timing chain needs replacing so not sure if that would help either.

We were getting a little over 600miles per quart and now coils and plugs changed and it dropped by almost half that. So get dipstick to manually check along with replacing PCV should be done first then look at rings? Can a mechanic check if rings are bad or do you pretty much replace them?
Not sure how to check rings but I have read that the timing chain replacement should be done based on what VCDS shows for out-of-phase values.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 364 Likes on 330 Posts

Manual does not say timing chain needs to be replaced on this car. You won't find any mention of the timing chain at all, generally only belts have a service intervals. Just check the phase position value in VCDS and if it's over 5 degrees you need a new timing chain.

With respect to your question about can the mechanic check the rings, yes. But they need to go by process of elimination. We know empirically that there is a high probability it is your rings.

Do you have records from before you purchased the car? The best thing you can do for a DFI engine is change the oil often, every 6 mos/5K miles maximum, with a high quality oil designed for direct injection. This is the reason I believe my 2014 2.0T, which I bought at 45K miles, has 100K+ miles on it and burns no oil and my UOA corroborates this.

If you need to do the rings this will help you:
https://www.audizine.com/forum/showt...th-parts-lists
The following users liked this post:
rez (05-27-2022)