Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sun visors

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 12:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun visors

My wife just bought a 2012 2.0 with most options. Love nearly everything about the car, except for the sun visors, which don't cover a lot of area that needs to be covered. Many cars will have the black dots in the glass where the visors don't reach, and there are black dots under the rear view mirror, but why did they overlook this? No way to extend the visor because of the sculpted recess it sits in. Anyone come up with any solutions, or am I just being too picky? Seems a safety issue that could have been easily rectified."
Old 02-05-2012, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spiro
My wife just bought a 2012 2.0 with most options. Love nearly everything about the car, except for the sun visors, which don't cover a lot of area that needs to be covered. Many cars will have the black dots in the glass where the visors don't reach, and there are black dots under the rear view mirror, but why did they overlook this? No way to extend the visor because of the sculpted recess it sits in. Anyone come up with any solutions, or am I just being too picky? Seems a safety issue that could have been easily rectified."
If you pop the visor out of the keeper, you can slide it toward the mirror to cover the gap you're referring to. My wife also complained that the visors are too short and don't cover enough of the windshield, so I bought her this . . .

http://www.amazon.com/Trillium-TWI-6...8485017&sr=1-1

I had my doubts despite the positive reviews, but she has had to use it on several occasions, and claims it works great.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks, didn't know about being able to extend it.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

You can also put down the eyeglass holder to block the area above the rearview mirror. Not exactly what it was designed for but it does work.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Maybe go get a tint strip installed across the front windshield.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spiro
Thanks, didn't know about being able to extend it.
being able to extend the visor also aids when twisting the visor to cover sun on the side window
Old 02-06-2012, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

It's that amazing German Engineering again. I am sick of hearing how well this car is designed and finding repeatedly that they didn't have multiple different people of different sizes and preferences drive it under different conditions.

This is a perfect example. The other big flaw with the visors is that they are recessed and you can only get them to flip down from the one side. If, in a burst of sunlight you reach up with the wrong hand, you are out of luck....has happened to me several times already. What a stupid design flaw. It should be accessible from either side! @#$%
Old 02-06-2012, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by radman2020
It's that amazing German Engineering again. I am sick of hearing how well this car is designed and finding repeatedly that they didn't have multiple different people of different sizes and preferences drive it under different conditions.

This is a perfect example. The other big flaw with the visors is that they are recessed and you can only get them to flip down from the one side. If, in a burst of sunlight you reach up with the wrong hand, you are out of luck....has happened to me several times already. What a stupid design flaw. It should be accessible from either side! @#$%
I absolutely disagree. I'd much rather the sun visors be recessed than stuck out like an ugly warty bump on my headliner.

This is just a good guess, but I'm betting the area to lower the blind is on the right because if you're driving a manual transmission car, it would be your right hand that would be free to lower the blind, as the left hand would be the one holding the steering wheel as you used the other to shift gears. The opposite would be true in cars with steering wheels on the opposite side, as you'll note the area to lower the blind is on the left for the passenger, the same hand that would be free in that situation. So, to me anyway, it was well planned out. Just because we don't get manual transmissions in the States, doesn't mean we can disregard the fact that this car was designed in, and for, countries that do get that option. Seems ridiculous to think we'd need a different headliner because we don't get a manual tranny.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If it is very bright, I use sun visor + sunglasses.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by UrbanExtant
I absolutely disagree. I'd much rather the sun visors be recessed than stuck out like an ugly warty bump on my headliner.

This is just a good guess, but I'm betting the area to lower the blind is on the right because if you're driving a manual transmission car, it would be your right hand that would be free to lower the blind, as the left hand would be the one holding the steering wheel as you used the other to shift gears. The opposite would be true in cars with steering wheels on the opposite side, as you'll note the area to lower the blind is on the left for the passenger, the same hand that would be free in that situation. So, to me anyway, it was well planned out. Just because we don't get manual transmissions in the States, doesn't mean we can disregard the fact that this car was designed in, and for, countries that do get that option. Seems ridiculous to think we'd need a different headliner because we don't get a manual tranny.
I wasn't saying it shouldn't be recessed. I was saying that THERE IS NO REASON not to have the finger notch on both sides. All that thinking you did is what the engineers did... and it is silly. Creationists vs evolution! Why try and figure out what people are going to do.. Within reason, make it easy for everyone. You could easily have it recessed by accessible from the right AND left edge. Come on!

Quick Reply: Sun visors