Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sun visors

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the clip idea !!!!

Personally, I have no issues with the visor grab point - maybe I'm super talented or something, but once I used it twice, I somehow remembered where it was and could do it with either hand

if it bothered me that much, I'd give the car away or modify it to fit my needs.

remember, it's a mass consumer product to fit what AUDI thinks will sell =
guess I'll wait for the bigger battle points...
Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by radman2020
Yep. lots of distracting steps.. sorry. Instant access to preset radio stations is a luxury present on even the least expensive cars...and it is just a fact that this expensive luxury car doesn't have it. It is simply over-engineered or not well thought out...just like the sun visors (and the navigation system..but I don't want to stray any further here). If it doesn't bother you, great. Just want audi to hear me and fix this in future models.
Hmmm, just did a little quick research, Here is a list of luxury cars that doesnt have any preset radio station buttons: Lexus GS350, LS460, Cadillac CTS, Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac SRX, Jagaur XF, Jagaur XJ, Land Rover LR4, Range Rover, Lincoln MKS, Porsche 911, Porsche Cayenne and all Audi models. It seems to me that is the trend of the future.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Hmmm, just did a little quick research, Here is a list of luxury cars that doesnt have any preset radio station buttons: Lexus GS350, LS460, Cadillac CTS, Cadillac Escalade, Cadillac SRX, Jagaur XF, Jagaur XJ, Land Rover LR4, Range Rover, Lincoln MKS, Porsche 911, Porsche Cayenne and all Audi models. It seems to me that is the trend of the future.
Are you serious? The Cayenne , which must hold the alltime record for number of buttons ever put in a production vehicle, does not have radio presets? I am amazed.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I kid you not, the Cayenne do have a lot of buttons, almost as much as the Acura MDX
Attached Images  
Old 02-07-2012, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep. lots of distracting steps.. sorry. Instant access to preset radio stations is a luxury present on even the least expensive cars...and it is just a fact that this expensive luxury car doesn't have it. It is simply over-engineered or not well thought out...just like the sun visors (and the navigation system..but I don't want to stray any further here). If it doesn't bother you, great. Just want audi to hear me and fix this in future models.

Easy solution:
Sell that disappointing piece of steel and buy one of those least expensive Toyotas with box of tissues to wipe the tears and move on with your whiny life

Reality check, you thought you are so important that Audi would redesign the interior and radio functions because of you and your desires? LOL

Last edited by kleinbus; 02-07-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kleinbus
Easy solution:
Sell that disappointing piece of steel and buy one of those least expensive Toyotas with box of tissues to wipe the tears and move on with your whiny life

Reality check, you thought you are so important that Audi would redesign the interior and radio funtions because of you and your desires? LOL
Ouch!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could go and take number of cars I have owned and/or driven during these years and pick flaws from each and bitch about this and that.

Did it change? no as I just adapted the situation.

It's like the elephant ear drama here (poor porceline shop and Q5) and after first shock, he manned up and got used to the "feature" and characteristics of the Q5.

If one doesn't like the features then it's just perfect example how someone goes and buys car without getting familiar with it.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

I could go and take number of cars I have owned and/or driven during these years and pick flaws from each and bitch about this and that.

Did it change? no as I just adapted the situation.

It's like the elephant ear drama here (poor porceline shop and Q5) and after first shock, he manned up and got used to the "feature" and characteristics of the Q5.

If one doesn't like the features then it's just perfect example how someone goes and buys car without getting familiar with it.
Double ouch!
Old 02-07-2012, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Easy solution:

Reality check, you thought you are so important that Audi would redesign the interior and radio functions because of you and your desires? LOL

You guys are pitiful. Someone says something that detracts from your misguided image of perfection and you can't handle it.

Simple fact: Ease of use is desirable. Ease of use can be achieved without compromising style or function. What could you possibly have against someone who requests that. And yes, I do think Audi cares about what people think.

Many of those cars someone mentioned have touch screens. One button allows the presets to come up on the touch screen and boom, you can choose your radio station. No dialing up and down.

As far as the fancy cars having non-ergonomic design, it once again proves that people care about the superficial status points over important things like function.

Now, you may say...driving is the most important thing. And I do love driving this car. However, it is the crappiest shifting machine I have ever driven. When it is about to stop, it abruptly shifts and stops. It often hesitates to shift up (or maybe it is the turbo lag). It does this inconsistently so I can't adjust for it. So... if presets aren't important, then how about smooth shifting in this German Engineering masterpiece?

Have I mentioned that it is the only car that lets me bet on my bluetooth choices? I say call John Smith. It brings up three John Smiths because he has mobile, home and work. It doesn't designate which is which so I have to guess each time. It is one out of three. The newest version of bluetooth that would obviate this problem... and would also allow streaming of music is not on the 2012. Why not? Shouldn't 45K get us the newest and greatest? Audi could have put a 3.5mm jack somewhere on the dash or in the center console for us to plug in. Hmm why not? Would have spoiled the car? I doubt it.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You guys are pitiful. Someone says something that detracts from your misguided image of perfection and you can't handle it.

Simple fact: Ease of use is desirable. Ease of use can be achieved without compromising style or function. What could you possibly have against someone who requests that. And yes, I do think Audi cares about what people think.

Many of those cars someone mentioned have touch screens. One button allows the presets to come up on the touch screen and boom, you can choose your radio station. No dialing up and down.

As far as the fancy cars having non-ergonomic design, it once again proves that people care about the superficial status points over important things like function.

Now, you may say...driving is the most important thing. And I do love driving this car. However, it is the crappiest shifting machine I have ever driven. When it is about to stop, it abruptly shifts and stops. It often hesitates to shift up (or maybe it is the turbo lag). It does this inconsistently so I can't adjust for it. So... if presets aren't important, then how about smooth shifting in this German Engineering masterpiece?

Have I mentioned that it is the only car that lets me bet on my bluetooth choices? I say call John Smith. It brings up three John Smiths because he has mobile, home and work. It doesn't designate which is which so I have to guess each time. It is one out of three. The newest version of bluetooth that would obviate this problem... and would also allow streaming of music is not on the 2012. Why not? Shouldn't 45K get us the newest and greatest? Audi could have put a 3.5mm jack somewhere on the dash or in the center console for us to plug in. Hmm why not? Would have spoiled the car? I doubt it.
"Those who try to build idiot-proof systems always underestimate the persistence and ingenuity of idiots." --anon

You have clearly missed your calling in life. Please go forth and design an amazing car. We're all waiting to see what you come up with.

I have no issues pulling down my visor with either hand. I have no issues voice dialing multiple numbers for one person. Say call John smith home. Your voice commands not recognized? Maybe you need to train it. Mine doesn't abruptly jerk and stop. Maybe you should have your service dept look at it. Presets? I don't even use the radio but oh my gosh way too many clicks. Whatever. What is so complicated about pushing a button to get a list? In your luxury car if you have more than six you might have to hit another button to get to the next set of presets. The horror! Or should there only be six to begin with? I'm surprised you haven't complained the click wheels are backwards on the steering wheel as well.

It's perfectly fine to have constructive complaints about a car but to think that your opinion should somehow dictate how a car should be designed or that it's the fault of the engineers who designed it because they didn't have enough foresight to design it just for you is ridiculous.

Quick Reply: Sun visors