Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof Delete?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FOUR FLUSHER
Willowdog's post has got me thinking about deleting my sunroof. I'm not a big sunroof fan ie, I never open them up. Seems like the fabric cover lets lots of light in. I'd love to hear some more opinions.
Here in Oklahoma we have very warm Summers and a lot of sunshine. My Black/Black Q5 cooled off considerably when I had the panoramic sunroof tinted along with the rest of the windows just after i bought the vehicle. I chose a reflective 3M product for the sunroof and it REALLY does the job. When one closes the curtain, one doesn't get a lot of light penetration. Don't know where you live, but this is a good solution if you want less light and a cooler interior.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by soonerfan
Here in Oklahoma we have very warm Summers and a lot of sunshine. My Black/Black Q5 cooled off considerably when I had the panoramic sunroof tinted along with the rest of the windows just after i bought the vehicle. I chose a reflective 3M product for the sunroof and it REALLY does the job. When one closes the curtain, one doesn't get a lot of light penetration. Don't know where you live, but this is a good solution if you want less light and a cooler interior.
How dark was the tint you used?
Old 01-24-2013, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would second the tint idea. Go with any high end ceramic at 0% "limo dark" tint.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by abcabc
How dark was the tint you used?
3M 30 FX-PM is on the installer's 3M tag. Date of install was 9-15-10. You might go to the 3M website and take a look at the offerings. I DO recall that he used a reflective film on the sunroof panels that is different than the door window film. Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My Q5 finally came in. Yeah! I definitly do not miss the sunroof. As to resale, as I mentioned in an earlier post, there will be people looking to buy a used Q5 who do not want the sunroof either. Tinting may be an option but then you're saying, there is a problem with it, but you have an aftermarket solution to fix the problem. I also would think tinting it would reduce resale as well. Even the best tint doesn't age great and I can't imagine how it will age being on the top of a car v.s. just on the windows.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pricing out book value on KBB, a 2012 comes up to a difference of $1,100 less if the panoramic roof is deleted.

NADA pulls $600 from the book value for deleting.

Tint has come a long way since the aging purple stuff.
Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Ya know, it stills goes back to...

it's your car so you can do what you want (so far)
Old 01-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep, absolutely. Just posting info for anyone else that might be curious.

Enjoy your new ride!
Old 01-25-2013, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Interex
Pricing out book value on KBB, a 2012 comes up to a difference of $1,100 less if the panoramic roof is deleted.

NADA pulls $600 from the book value for deleting.

Tint has come a long way since the aging purple stuff.
But consider the demand on top of the difference in value, and I would think its not worth deleting. Most new people to a Q5 are going to defiantly want the panoramic sunroof. Its just too much of a cool factor, (I bet no more than 5% don't want it). I don't personally see how someone could have so much of a problem with it. There is a little "shaded" light in addition to the light coming in at 360 degrees around you, and truth be told, regardless of how much or little light, you see better when your environment has more even lighting. Sitting in complete shade and looking at something brighter is harder on the eyes.

Besides, scuba blue, (or any darker color) will cause as much if not more heat buildup in the car. A silver or white vehicle compared to darker colors is far far cooler when left in the sun.
Old 01-25-2013, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Each of their own, one likes and another doesn't.

Since 2008 we have had panorama on two VAG cars, first without tint and two weeks later each got darkest 5% tint, that blocked some of the heat (sun infra-rays) and made interior tolerable without blasting A/C but same time made the roof useless as no one could see through the dark tint.

Ours was silver with panorama and the current black without panorama doesn't get as hot inside so the car color doesn't matter as much as the panorama versus solid roof matters.

After two panoramas I can't help with the feeling its biggest vanity POS!

Now on third VAG car without panorama and we are enjoying the cooler interior temperature.....

Last edited by kleinbus; 01-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.

Quick Reply: Sunroof Delete?