Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
That might be the problem, too much moisture getting in between the glass and the roof and when it freezes, the ice expands and put pressure on the glass.
Gman,

I agree. That does make sense.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shattered Roof

I am in the same boat!

CAR: Q5 2012

SETTING: Wednesday morning, January 4th, 2012 in NJ at 6:30 am - 15 degrees

PROBLEM: Upon turning on the car to warm it up, the panoramic roof immediately imploded. Glass was EVERYWHERE...in my purse, on the seats, in my hair, and on my face.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION: Audi Care towed it to the dealer and parked it next to ANOTHER Q5 2012 with the same damage and a 2007 Q7 was provided as a loaner (with an expired inspection sticker...go figure). A temporary glass is expected to arrive on January 20th and there is no clear plan to when the roof will be truly replaced.

CUSTOMER REACTION:
Printed out other "complaints" to present to the service center.
Letter to Audi Corporate and posting on the Audi World forum.
Looking into the Lemon Law and the Lease agreement.

IRONY:
I am a previous Toyota owner - RECALL MAGNET!

Any other suggestions?
Old 01-06-2012, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Shattered Roof Picture

Name:  IMAG0341.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 01-06-2012, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by isheeb

CUSTOMER REACTION:
Printed out other "complaints" to present to the service center.
Letter to Audi Corporate and posting on the Audi World forum.
Looking into the Lemon Law and the Lease agreement.

IRONY:
I am a previous Toyota owner - RECALL MAGNET!

Any other suggestions?
Really sucks to have to go through that but at least other folks are in the same boat so Audi can't claim a failure on your part and not fix it under warranty. You mention lemon law but there's no way that would qualify. Last I recall it was 30 days in the shop over a year period, 3 attempts to fix a minor issue,or 2 attempts to fix a major. They vary by state but that's the general jest of it. There's no way they'd let someone lemon a car for the pano roof. Everyone eould come out of the woodeork demanding a new car. Last year Audi let folks play Russian roulette with their water pumps until they issued a recall. You'd be hard pressed to find a brand that doesn't have a recall issued against it.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Got Q5 back

So i finally got my Q5 back this afternoon. They received the glass yesterday and were able to install it before the week-end. Not much details from my dealer other than the "Audi Technical Line" (don't know what this is) apparently sent a glass from a different manufacturer but i didn't get much details. Not really sure i am getting something really different from what i have.

They are still at 5 Q5 2012 with the same issue as mine. All of them are on the front part of the pano, not the rear part.

The Q5 is in the garage now to put back the child seat but i will leave it outside for the rest of the winter to be sure this glass is better. I'd rather have it break again now than next winter.

My car was clean, ready for me when I came in and they help me transfer everything.

Good luck to the others, hope nobody gets hurt.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

It will be really interesting to see if it happens again to you.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by xfirechief
WOW, I think I will be moving to Florida, No COLD & most people down there are retirees & can't swing a bat that hard.
Such an ignorant comment proves something about the poster....
Old 01-06-2012, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by lalanik
U must be the ignorant one. Its a JOKE, understand, a joke -
lighten up a little, life is too short to be so up tight.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

they dont swing bats they swing golf clubs... lololol

Fun and jokes people, fun and jokes!!!

Originally Posted by lalanik
Old 01-08-2012, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default My Q5 is fixed

Originally Posted by schultcj
Do you have the name and number of the customer relations person you spoke with? I am taking a trip from MD to VT for a ski vacation in Feb and am nervous this may happen while at the ski resort and have issues getting back to MD. Hopefully I will not need the info, but might benefit from your time and frustration.
So the happy ending (so far) is as follows:
- once audi customer relations got involved and admitted it was a warranty issue they were extremely helpful, coordinating getting the car towed to my dealer and agreed to reimburse me for a rental car. the person I spoke with called me every day with a status report.
- my dealer (Bernardi on Natick MA) got the glass in and fixed it in 4 days. They gave me a loaner while i waited, They also detailed the car and filled the gas (was only1/4 full).

The car was only 7 weeks old so of course it still looked new and I can't see anything different about The new glass but the service mgr said it is a different part number than the original. He insists he hasn't heard of another car with the same problem yet.

Quick Reply: Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures