Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Bschachter, I am glad Bernardi took care of you, they took good care of me a few times as well. Since the new roof has a new part number, hopefully it means Audi have already found a fix.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Bschachter, I am glad Bernardi took care of you, they took good care of me a few times as well. Since the new roof has a new part number, hopefully it means Audi have already found a fix.
The question that remains is, will they apply that fix to the rest of us with 2012 cars that this hasn't happened to, or will it be another water pump fiasco? I'm hoping they decide to step it up a notch this time, and if it was a bad batch of glass fix it for the affected cars, and if it was a design flaw, do a recall for all the 2012 model cars.

My experience so far is that the 2012 cars have some issues. My seat frame has been replaced once, and another is on order because each one installed has wobbled and moved all on its own. Also, my steering column is being replaced because I keep getting a steering fault with the drive select where the steering goes all loose and slack, makes clicking noises, and yet still says I can continue to drive. Not so sure I want to continue to drive when that happens.

Last edited by UrbanExtant; 01-09-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am happy to hear that your car is repaired. I have a 2012 Q5 November 2011 build and have no issues in 3700 miles. I park in a warm garage in Mass. However I called two dealers in Mass. regarding the heated seat output and nav maps that are outdated and during that call I also inquired about the glass roof issue, they both said "never heard of that", FYI one of the dealers was Benardi in Natick Mass! I sometimes believe the service writers are told to say this so as not to cause or start a problem. If people are having issues in cold climates Audi will have to do a recall.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

An update from me. Got my Q5 back, service guy said that Audi Canada sent them the replacement glass part and he was unsure if it was a new part number. So I dropped it off last Wednesday and was able to pick it up on the Monday night. Not a bad turnaround time.

Hoepfully the problem is fixed and I hope I don't see this again. Will have to wait for colder weather.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DER KONIG PANZER
I am happy to hear that your car is repaired. I have a 2012 Q5 November 2011 build and have no issues in 3700 miles. I park in a warm garage in Mass. However I called two dealers in Mass. regarding the heated seat output and nav maps that are outdated and during that call I also inquired about the glass roof issue, they both said "never heard of that", FYI one of the dealers was Benardi in Natick Mass! I sometimes believe the service writers are told to say this so as not to cause or start a problem. If people are having issues in cold climates Audi will have to do a recall.
This made me chuckle. Seems Audi could care less about people getting stranded on the road in the dead of winter when their water pump went so I really doubt they care about glass exploding on people. Bet they're thrilled we're having an usually warm winter this year.

(btw comment was tongue in cheek )
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 2012 Q5 another sunroof shattered

When out to the Q5 this morning. When I closed the front door the front sunroof shattered. Luckily the shade was closed. It was 17 degrees outside.
Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This seems happening to all 2012 Q5 bought around Nov.. Was you 2012 Q5 bought in Nov?

Originally Posted by dondo
When out to the Q5 this morning. When I closed the front door the front sunroof shattered. Luckily the shade was closed. It was 17 degrees outside.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by anishkumar
This seems happening to all 2012 Q5 bought around Nov.. Was you 2012 Q5 bought in Nov?
I got mine in Mid September, ordered in May. I believe it was produced in July and arrived in Canada end of August.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jacou21
I got mine in Mid September, ordered in May. I believe it was produced in July and arrived in Canada end of August.
Thanks, wish that your get the replacement soon - without a roof its tough. Hope Audi is able to identify this and fix permanently.
Old 01-15-2012, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Picked up the Q5 on Oct 24.

Quick Reply: Sunroof window exploded at -18C... see pictures