Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Taking a Q5 from USA to Europe

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 12:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the amount of hassle involved, it sounds like it would be easier to just sell the US model in the US and buy the local flavor of the Q5 when you get there!
Old 06-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by desert_q5
For the amount of hassle involved, it sounds like it would be easier to just sell the US model in the US and buy the local flavor of the Q5 when you get there!
Well, depends on the country. For example in Finland the price of Q5 2.0 TFSI premium is 64 806,53 Euros (about 82 000 dollars) according to www.audi.fi. If I'd go to Finland, I'd rather have some extra hassle than sell local flavor here.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Meckl
Just wondering if this topic is still interesting for you?

I am currently importing my Q5 to Germany, too and have collected plenty of information so far.

- Tax: No need to pay any tax, if you lived outside the EU for at least one year and own the car for 6 months or more.

- Changes:
Pretty different from country to country, even from state to state within for example Germany. two points will need to be changed with European regulations, unless you are able to get an exception entered into your registration (worth a try and only works if you declare your car as moving goods with customs...):
-> Rear turn signals have to be amber (That is for the LED ones as well as for the lower ones in the bumper, even so they aren't used during driving!)
-> In combination with Xenon, auto levelling and headlight washers have to be installed

Additionally, the front positioning lights have to be disabled via VAG com or changed from amber to white.

If you want to use Navigation, SUWtech and some other company in Poland are able to reprogram and flash the unit to European standards to run European maps. That's much cheaper than changing the head unit: http://suwtec24.de/Audi-MMI-3G-Navig...uf-Europa-2011

FM radio frequencies are slightly different in Europe than in the US. Some US models need to have the radio tuner changed to receive all stations.

HomeLink frequencies are different than in the US, so also there it's not certain that all garage door openers will be recognized.

If the tail lights from Europrice are working, that may be the best option to install them. Taking EU models and installing them in a US model is said to be impossible, gives coding errors and needs adapters.

Did anybody try the Europrice tail lights yet?

Greetings from Munich,
Markus
Markus,

Big issue here seems to be the headlights.. Have you found a solution for the "conversion"?

thanks
Jose
Old 08-27-2012, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good evening,

As for the headlights: Mine have a (E) conformity sign, so I don't have to change them. I had to disable the amber front position lights through VCDS, though. 10 seconds of work...

Currently i am working to get an exception entered in my german title for the missing headlight washer. TÜV doesn't like it without these stupid things, the exception can be entered by ourlocal registration office, if I am able to convince them. Additionally, I can try to get this theough with the local government of Swabia... Not that easy ... Beurocracy.

As for the rear lights (blinkers), I changed them with amber flashing ones from europrice.us. They were able to modify European models so that they a 'plug-and-play'... Just three screws and the are easyly replaced and also carry the (E) conformity sign. The ones in the lower bumper are still a problem, working on getting those through with an 'exception' as well...
Old 08-27-2012, 11:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hello!

I'm from Portugal and you should get informed well of all the tax you must pay. To avoid the most expensive tax, the car must be for your use and have to be registered in your name a couple of years.
Old 08-28-2012, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by migsan
Hello!

I'm from Portugal and you should get informed well of all the tax you must pay. To avoid the most expensive tax, the car must be for your use and have to be registered in your name a couple of years.
Off Topic: FYI Even though your Q5 is from 2008 it is still a Model Year 2009 (US system generally used on this forum)as the model on sale at the beginning of 2009 was the same as introduced during 2008. There is no MY 2008.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Off Topic: FYI Even though your Q5 is from 2008 it is still a Model Year 2009 (US system generally used on this forum)as the model on sale at the beginning of 2009 was the same as introduced during 2008. There is no MY 2008.
Hello! You are right! My Q5 is one of the first 1500 units build. I think is build in September 2008, and have the first registration in my country in November 2008, but to all propose, it's a MY 2009!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you want to use Navigation, SUWtech and some other company in Poland are able to reprogram and flash the unit to European standards to run European maps. That's much cheaper than changing the head unit: http://suwtec24.de/Audi-MMI-3G-Navig...uf-Europa-2011
Do you have the contact of the polish company?
Can the operation be performed remotely? (while the car stays in Tunisia)

FM radio frequencies are slightly different in Europe than in the US. Some US models need to have the radio tuner changed to receive all stations.
I've noticed it here in Tunisia, do you know how to change the tuner?

Thanks is advance
Old 03-22-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good evening,

As for the headlights: Mine have a (E) conformity sign, so I don't have to change them. I had to disable the amber front position lights through VCDS, though. 10 seconds of work...

Currently i am working to get an exception entered in my german title for the missing headlight washer. TÜV doesn't like it without these stupid things, the exception can be entered by ourlocal registration office, if I am able to convince them. Additionally, I can try to get this theough with the local government of Swabia... Not that easy ... Beurocracy.

As for the rear lights (blinkers), I changed them with amber flashing ones from europrice.us. They were able to modify European models so that they a 'plug-and-play'... Just three screws and the are easyly replaced and also carry the (E) conformity sign. The ones in the lower bumper are still a problem, working on getting those through with an 'exception' as well...
Hi Markus,

I am currently in preparation to ship my US Audi Q5 to the Netherlands. Were you successful in getting approval without adding the washer and levelling to the headlights? If not, how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately if you do get stuck having to add the auto washer, you need a new front bumper cover due it being integrated with it (I had this problem when I was trying to find a cover for the one I'm rebuilding - in Canada they need headlight washers as well). I ended up having to buy the cover new (best place I found is audiusaparts.com). I think the auto-leveling is just an addition of a control module (maybe the level sensor on the control arm as well?)

Quick Reply: Taking a Q5 from USA to Europe