Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Thinking about a Q5

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 01:13 PM
kjf
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a Q5

Greetings.

I'm a new member and first time poster. My company provides me with a vehicle to drive, which we trade out after three years. I currently drive a GMC Acadia, and the time has come to choose my next vehicle. I have decided to downsize a bit, and have been looking at an Audi Q5. I love how it drives and its general "feel". I think over the past couple of weeks I've read every review that's out there on the web. I'm impressed with how well the Q5 has been received.

I have three teenage kids, all of whom are off to college. Generally, I have 2-4 people in my vehicle, but occasionaly need to accommodate 5. I live in Utah, and we regularly travel to the mountains and to the national parks in the southern part of the state, with the attendant luggage and our small dog. I occasionaly pull a small utility trailer. I have a Thule cargo box that I can put on the roof when needed.

My only hesitation regarding the Q5 is its size, which is quite a bit smaller than the Acadia. My price range is up to around $42,000, so I can squeeze into a Prestige plus, but a Q7 is out.

Sorry for the long intro. My question: how have you found the size of your Q5? Can 4 adults fit reasonably comfortably? What about 5 adults? Finally, how have you found the cargo space in real life?

Thanks,

KJF
Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

4 adults no problem; 5 not so good unless it is a very short trip. Take a look at the center hump in the back floor to see what I am talking about.

Luggage space is decent without folding the back seats. It will hold two sets of golf clubs diagonally or several pieces of luggage, cases of wine, etc.

You have options because the back seats are adjustable. They travel about 2 inches fore and aft and are also adjustable for backrest angle. Thus, if you have something bulky that needs to fit in the back, you can tweak the seats a bit to gain some more cargo space and still carry passengers.

Towing a small trailer is no problem at all; plenty of power and excellent control.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjf
My question: how have you found the size of your Q5? Can 4 adults fit reasonably comfortably? What about 5 adults? Finally, how have you found the cargo space in real life?

Thanks,

KJF
This past weekend I had 2 adults in the front, and 2 adults + 1 car seat in the back, and everyone was comfortable.

Cargo space is pretty good. Our stroller just fits across the back of the trunk, and leaves room for lots of bags/other items behind it (and of course we can pile up if we remove the cargo cover).

Cargo room was definitely the one thing we were concerned about but so far it's been ok. And once we get rid of the stroller it will be even better.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:22 AM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

There will be pro's and con's, but this is such a great car that you will probably easily be able to adjust to the sacrifices you'd have to make.
Read my 6,000mi "report" https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2762487
Old 09-16-2009, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

5 adult will be uncomfortable, especially with lugguge and a dog, a cargo box on top will help. Also, a Prestige Q5 will run you a little more than $42000.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 AM
kjf
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
Also, a Prestige Q5 will run you a little more than $42000.
Sorry, I meant a Premium Plus. I recognize that a Prestige is out of my price range.

Thanks to everyone for their replies. This is helpful.

KJF
Old 09-16-2009, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

The Q5 is a perfect choice for 4 full-size adults
It gives plenty of room at the rear even for 2 long-legged persons, and the cargo is then sufficient for everyone's luggage.