Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Unable to Import Music

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to Import Music

I've had the Q5 for about a month and tried to import some music from a CD. Inserted the CD into the drive, the music started to play,a listing of the files on the CD was displayed, then selected IMPORT. The screen showed the CD as a source, but I was unable to select it. The CD was displayed in a gray like shade, not the usual orange shade color which allows for selection. The cursor was positioned to the left of the CD source, but pressing the **** did nothing...no selection, not even if I double-pressed the ****. It was like the system knew the CD was there, but it would not allow me to select it. And so I was unable to import any music.

The CD does work as I was listening to the files before I tried to import. I also repeated this probelm with another CD. One CD was a store bought and the other was a burned CD with audio files from the PC.

Very frustrating...
Old 11-28-2009, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am having the same issue with my wifes's Q5.
But I was able to import hundreds of songs on my S-line Q5 ...BUT I had copied the songs in MP3 (iTunes format) first to a DVD. That worked perfectly. I don't think I even tried to import a standard true non compressed song. I gave up and just assumed I was going to have to import only MP3s.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:56 PM
DrV
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've only been able to upload MP3 format songs and audio files, but not regular CD's either. My car's HD is already full, wish it was bigger
The best way to have your music library available is to use an iPod. I use my old 80Gig iPod, its pretty loaded and I leave it in the car permanently, I just update it now and again.
You can also upload your audio CD's to your laptop, convert them and save them on an SD card. Some owners have used 32 Gig SD's and apparently it works fine. I have 2 x 4Gig cards, each with different categories of audio files/songs, very handy to use between laptop and car. That gives me 118Gig's of storage - plenty
Old 11-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This has been covered many times in the forum. Bottom line is that you cannot import directly from a production music CD. Check the manual for supported formats.

You can also check out this thread:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...ighlight=MUSIC
Old 11-29-2009, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you have access to Vag-Com, you can actually enable the factory-disabled CD-ripping feature. I can confirm it works (involves entering the hidden MMI setup menu and checking a checkbox).

http://www.audizine.com/wiki/index.p...G-COM.29_codes

http://a6retrofit.tripod.com/article...des.html#codes
Old 11-29-2009, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I don't recall seeing any restrictions on importing from a CD.but then this would explain my "problem." I really appreciate all the good posts and that I'm not alone..:-).

Also, sorry for the repeat thread. I did a search, but I must not have searched properly.

Guess it's time to get an SD card. Do have an iPod, but I don't think I can import directly from the iPod.