Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wax - Sealer Reco?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax - Sealer Reco?

First off, thanks to all - Finding the forum super helpful.

So 2 questions:
1) I've read a lot of related to the use of a "sealer" instead of, or in addition to wax: What are you thoughts on this?

2) From the above any recos on the best Sealer and/or Wax for an '18 SQ5 - Daytona Grey Metallic?

I've a pretty big fan of Chemical Guys products and just used their "Butter Wax". Very easy to apply and remove. The car looks great, but was hoping for a little 'deeper' look to it, hopefully that makes sense.

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2018, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I use Zaino on mine... I've also had good experiences with Meguiars #20 (Polymer Sealant), but the look of Zaino is hard to beat even if it's a more labor intensive process.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Wouldn't you FEEL BETTER knowing you had spent a thousand dollars on magic miracle nanopaste for your car instead of using, ugh, just plain WAX like the folks at all the major auto concourses so?

The day I picked my car up it rained, and the water wasn't really beading, and I called up and said "Takee Fixee. And use MY WAX THIS TIME." All I use in plain old Collinite, which is a relatively expensive carnuba wax. Used for yachts, planes, and those cars at the big concourses. Yes, it does have to be reapplied maybe twice a year. No, there's no miracle stuff in it. Also no miracles that need to be done if a body shop needs to work on the car. About $25 a can (or bottle) and usually not sold in the auto chains, but not hard to find.

And, oh yes, the water beads up and runs off way better than whatever the dealer's "polish" was. There are more durable waxes and polishes, but Collinite is also one of the shiniest.

There's no secret miracle product worth a thousand dollars per ounce to spread on car paint. That's just stroking the buyer's ego. (Which is worth the thousand dollars to some.)
Old 06-19-2018, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 118 Likes on 100 Posts

I've been using Nu Finish for many years, twice a year and it works really well.It removes most of the surface contamination and stands up to the environment.I can't think of any reason to try anything else, unless it applies itself.
Old 06-19-2018, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Asking for a wax recommendation will yield 50 replies and 50 recommendations. I have used dozens of products and you know what I found? None are really that different from one another. Some are a little easier to apply, some smell different, some are easier to remove. Once you remove it they basically look the same. I find what you do before wax or sealant is what makes a difference. I own a lot of Chemical Guys products and they are good but they have annoying marketing. Everything is aerospace engineered with nano particles that are optical grade developed by Nasa. So Stupid.

Clean thoroughly, clay bar, correct paint if needed, seal, wax over the top. Pick whatever products you want.