Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

What % window tint?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What % window tint?

Trying to decide on the window tint% for the front driver/passenger side. It's black on black, so it's already kinda dark, what % do you think will match up the best?
Old 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BNKQ5
Trying to decide on the window tint% for the front driver/passenger side. It's black on black, so it's already kinda dark, what % do you think will match up the best?
My advice would be to check what is legal in your state and proceed from there. Here in IL if you have privacy glass in the back (SUV, CUV, minivan etc.) 50% on the passenger and driver side windows is the legal limit. I went with the legal % but considered going a bit darker.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
My advice would be to check what is legal in your state and proceed from there. Here in IL if you have privacy glass in the back (SUV, CUV, minivan etc.) 50% on the passenger and driver side windows is the legal limit. I went with the legal % but considered going a bit darker.
Unless you live, travel or park in Chicago where any tint in the front windows is illegal.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
Definitely do this. In WA, for example, I think the legal limit is something like 35%... maybe 30% it's been a while but it's something like that.

Tint stores around here will sell you darker tint of course. It's not illegal to sell darker tint, just to drive in a vehicle with too dark of tint.

I had a dark green 2002 A6 and did the legal limit for WA and it looked great.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BNKQ5
a lot of newer cars have a certain % of tint so if you decide to put on 35%. Expect it to be a little less than 35%. Double check with your state before doing this. If you end up getting a ticket. The court will order you to remove them. Removing each tinted window may cost you $20-75. Or you can do it yourself. Its not woth the money or time to get it tinted beyond legal limits. But to be on the safe side go with 35% depend on your state. Remember anything lower than 35% you will need a hook up from someone to pass inspections.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

rear glasses are factory 20% or there about. i went with 20% on my driver and passenger on a black car. looks great. a bit dark at night but it looks much darker than 35 looked. If 20 may be too dark, go with 35. i have been pulled over once and it was at a checkpoint where the NYPD was specifically looking for things like tint/cellphones/seatbelts and other violations.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Coolieman1220
rear glasses are factory 20% or there about. i went with 20% on my driver and passenger on a black car. looks great. a bit dark at night but it looks much darker than 35 looked. If 20 may be too dark, go with 35. i have been pulled over once and it was at a checkpoint where the NYPD was specifically looking for things like tint/cellphones/seatbelts and other violations.
New York is crazy on those. especially tuning.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
New York is crazy on those. especially tuning.
Legal in Texas is 30% on the front. But if you are wanting it to match the back you need to do. 15%. I always do 30% because they won't give you a inspection sticker. It doesn't look that bad but 15% looks even all around
Old 05-03-2013, 10:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe this question was answered already, but just to make sure:

When you have privacy glass in the back, what is the % in the front to match most closely the privacy glass? And is this % legal in California?

Many thanks!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by bbcambridge
Maybe this question was answered already, but just to make sure:

When you have privacy glass in the back, what is the % in the front to match most closely the privacy glass? And is this % legal in California?

Many thanks!
You may not know it when you drive around LA or San Diego or Orange County, but any type of window tinting in the front is illegal.

So the true answer is no, it is not legal to have the front tinted at all, much less to match the tinting in the back.

From CHP website and confirmed multiple other sources:
Can I put after-market tinting on the windows of my vehicle?
The main requirements for legal window tinting in California are:

The windshield and front driver's side and passenger's side windows cannot receive any aftermarket tinting.
If the rear window of a vehicle is tinted, the vehicle must have outside rearview mirrors on both sides.

The law prohibits any person from driving any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows, with certain limited exceptions.

However, legislation signed into law effective January 1, 1999, exempts from the above prohibition specified clear, colorless, and transparent material that is installed, affixed, or applied to the front driver and passenger side windows for the specific purpose of reducing ultraviolet rays. If, as, or when this material becomes torn, bubbled or otherwise worn, it must be removed or replaced.

Quick Reply: What % window tint?