Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Who's going to be the first one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2012, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Who's going to be the first one?

So who's going to have the first Audi Q5 2.0t here with the APR K04 Turbo kit (313HP/367LB-FT TRQ) upgrade?

I'm 99% sure that I'll be getting this upgrade after my warranty expires. 22,000 miles left and counting.

I've searched the net and found only one person in Australia with this upgrade on there Q5. He's the only one I know of so far.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think ThunderDent already pulled the trigger on that:

[Performance/Other Mods: APR-tuned /S3 K04 (OEM) Turbo Conv. kit (324-hp/367-ft/lbs torque) ], and he even badged his whip with APR Stage III to make sure everybody knows.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, that's in the works for the future. My wife and I are both transitioning jobs right now, which is the hold up on my mods. Making sure the bills are paid first. I'm waiting on 2 things. A new grille that is still being developed that is suppose to be out later this summer from LLTeK (hoping to get an RS style grille with Piano Black rim), and the S3 Turbo kit. I'm considering making the drive to 'Bama to do it, as my best friend is accepting a new job in B'ham. An excuse to see him and get the kit on. That may be the fall for that though. The rest of the ride should be together late summer (still waiting on the grille update from LLTeK).

But yes, it's going on the Q.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThunderDent
Nope, that's in the works for the future. My wife and I are both transitioning jobs right now, which is the hold up on my mods. Making sure the bills are paid first. I'm waiting on 2 things. A new grille that is still being developed that is suppose to be out later this summer from LLTeK (hoping to get an RS style grille with Piano Black rim), and the S3 Turbo kit. I'm considering making the drive to 'Bama to do it, as my best friend is accepting a new job in B'ham. An excuse to see him and get the kit on. That may be the fall for that though. The rest of the ride should be together late summer (still waiting on the grille update from LLTeK).

But yes, it's going on the Q.
Are you going to perform a before and after dyno?

Once the kit is installed, you'll be able to smoke a 3.0t Q5. . And still get better gas mileage.
Old 06-12-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I may. I'm sure they have that capability there at the APR HQ. I'm debating on swapping my 2 rear exhausts for REMUS ones, but IDK. I may leave the stock Audi exhuast set up on there. The one mod I wanted to get was the Carbonio CAI, but since it doesn't fit I'll prob leave that stock too. It's not a horrible set up as is.

I'm sure I won't see the complete high-end 324 hp out of it, but their test is with a single port exhaust where ours are double, so hopefully I can see a good 315 hp out of it if not better.

I'm going to badge the rear of the car with an "S" as I think it warrants that label after that tune. I am going to keep it after the 2.0T I think, but may opt for the SQ5 label. I haven't decided yet. The APR stage III badging, I am considering putting on the lower rear door moulding toward the rear wheels. Kind of like how the euro spec'd RS5s put a badge on their rear paneling. I think it will look good there without being obnoxious. I don't want them up by the windows, etc like they do with their APR wrapped cars.

I am also going to VAG the MMI splash screen to have the "S" on it as well.

Only way a Q could warrant an RS tag would be, IMO to get the new 3.0T S/C, and tune it up to over 400 hp, also changing the body kit to reflect the classic RS grille and fogs/bumper.

I want the RS grille on mine, if I can get it, to match the lower fogs for a more aggressive look. If they decide not to put that into production with that look, I'll prob go with the stock black optic Sline grille for the more classic "S" look.

Still waiting to see if they offer the RS style one though.

Thoughts on badging and locations? You like the lower mouldings or not? I think they'll look good there myself.

Locations for APR badge = other suggestions/thoughts?
/SQ5 vs. 2.0T/S = thoughts on this?

I don't really care for the de-badged cars, just to put that out there upfront.

Last edited by ThunderDent; 06-12-2012 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Heresy64 and D_Frost both have APR Stage 1 already. Is that the same thing?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not exactly. Here are the stages for the Q5:
http://www.goapr.com/products/?vehicle=Q5

Q5 (8R)

Stage I
---------
ECU Upgrade - 2.0 TFSI

StageII
---------
Carbonio Intake - 3.0 TDI
Carbonio Intake - 3.2L FSI
Boost Tap - 2.0T

StageIII
---------
Turbo Kit - S3 K04 - 2.0 TFSI

Some of these have additions of the "+" mark for adding exhaust systems, etc. to help boost HP.

The Stage III kit we are talking about is just the S3 (OEM) turbocharger and the APR ECU tune that comes with it (available in stock & upgraded exhaust, but not required to upgrade).

The stage I is just the tune. Click each link and it will tell you what's a part of each one, the requirements and the recommendations.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Heresy64 and D_Frost both have APR Stage 1 already. Is that the same thing?
Tune only, and that has been removed. I may reinstall later, but for now, it's off. IMO, major league stones required for going all the way with the tune. But if you have the cash and the inclination, go for it!
Old 06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

APR Stage 1 is purely an ECU flash without any hardware requirements. Good for roughly 30 hp and 60 tq gain (peak gains when compared to stock). In terms of bang for buck, it's pretty hard to beat.

APR Stage 2 requires a high flow cat/downpipe... I checked with APR and they don't currently have one for the Q5 so you will have to source it from someone else (Eurocode may make one)... it should be good for another 10 hp and 20 tq above Stage 1.

I've also talked to APR about the Carbonio intake for the 2.0T and there were some changes to the intake area on the later model Q5 and they are investigating it.

As for Stage 3/K04 (turbo swap), I'd probably say get the aftermarket exhaust as the factory setup is somewhat restrictive. But I would understand staying stock to preserve the comfort of silence Lots more components come into play with this upgrade (HPFP and likely intercooler to prevent heat issues).

I'd be curious about the LLTEK grille... I have reached out to Caractere as well since they do make a RS (mesh) style grille for the Q7 but haven't heard back yet.

Boost tap would be a nice addition along with some PODI gauges

@ThunderDent... Looking forward to your build thread
Old 06-12-2012, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Heresy64
Tune only, and that has been removed. I may reinstall later, but for now, it's off. IMO, major league stones required for going all the way with the tune. But if you have the cash and the inclination, go for it!
Any reason for removing the tune? Since once the ECU has been modified it's still possible to detect the TD1 flag?

Quick Reply: Who's going to be the first one?