Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Wiper Blades

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 10:41 AM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

uberwgn - thanks for the info. Just ordered them from Amazon and they'll be here Friday. Will let everyone know if they fit at that point.

One of the previous sets I tried was from Rockauto. Unfortunately they didn't fit (however, Rockauto then confirmed with me on the phone that I was correct on the fitment issue).

Thanks,
tgt
Old 05-19-2011, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tgt
uberwgn - thanks for the info. Just ordered them from Amazon and they'll be here Friday. Will let everyone know if they fit at that point.

One of the previous sets I tried was from Rockauto. Unfortunately they didn't fit (however, Rockauto then confirmed with me on the phone that I was correct on the fitment issue).

Thanks,
tgt
tgt yes please keep us updated on how this goes ... my Q isn't even 1 yr old and at my 15k service the dealership told me my wipers show 'wearing'. SERIOUSLY? I do use them (even more so this past 2 weeks with the non-stop rain here) but not even 1 yr of use and I need to consider replacing them ?!?
Old 05-19-2011, 04:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by loscoz
tgt yes please keep us updated on how this goes ... my Q isn't even 1 yr old and at my 15k service the dealership told me my wipers show 'wearing'. SERIOUSLY? I do use them (even more so this past 2 weeks with the non-stop rain here) but not even 1 yr of use and I need to consider replacing them ?!?
Cris, replacing at a 12-month interval is hardly excessive. I generally replace them when they don't work well or they get noisy. I find the rubber tends to harden and lose its flexibility. Bad wiper blades drive me nuts, but that's a personal thing. If your blades still work well, I'd wait...maybe 'til fall time.

Has anyone looked to see if we can change the rubber inserts on these wipers? That will be 1/2 the cost of replacing the entire blade, if possible.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:10 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replace my wipers twice a year. Bosch, PIAA, Aanco, Trico or OEM doesnt matter. They never last more than 6 months. Audi does not offer inserts for any of the new blades.
Old 05-19-2011, 08:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jake-AudiUSAParts
I replace my wipers twice a year. Bosch, PIAA, Aanco, Trico or OEM doesnt matter. They never last more than 6 months. Audi does not offer inserts for any of the new blades.
Squares with my experience in terms of blade length. I also found a number of 'high' end blades do not perform or last longer than lesser priced blades. I swap out new ones every 6 months because that's when I normally notice some deterioration of performance.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:08 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's the update as promised.

UPS man just dropped off the wiper blades. Decided to pop them on (direct fit, took 2 minutes tops). Comparing the OEM that were previously installed and the Bosch units side by side every single mark/imprint/corner is identical. That said, I would be totally surprised if the Bosch A 297 S' aren't the Audi OEM labeled blades.

I guess that's good news on one hand (as I can now find replacements), but potentially bad on the other (as I don't know how long they'll last).

Hope that helps,
tgt
Old 05-20-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 381 Likes on 343 Posts

That's good to know that this part fits several vehicles, tgt.

I'll suggest you keep a spare set on hand - - Amazon has been out of stock for quite a while.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
That's good to know that this part fits several vehicles, tgt.

I'll suggest you keep a spare set on hand - - Amazon has been out of stock for quite a while.
I picked up OEM blades yesterday at Sunset Audi's airport way service center. $18.00 for each blade. I saved the shipping. $36.00 is not out of bounds for higher end blades--I've paid more in the past for PIAA and others.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 99% sure that Bosch makes the factory blades.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:11 PM
tgt
AudiWorld Senior Member

What shipping? Amazon was $31/pair and free shipping (I happen to have Amazon Prime, so free 2 day...but I believe everyone else is free std shipping).

Originally Posted by springsteen
I picked up OEM blades yesterday at Sunset Audi's airport way service center. $18.00 for each blade. I saved the shipping. $36.00 is not out of bounds for higher end blades--I've paid more in the past for PIAA and others.

Quick Reply: Wiper Blades