Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Would you trade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Would you trade?

Like most late model Audi purchasers, I get the letters requesting I trade my 2014 for a new 20165. My understanding is that the only difference between models is the blind spot indicator and the B &O system standard.Correct?
My car is in excellent shape and figuring I'd get about 29-30k. There would be dealer discounts on the new car, and am waiting to get a true price, but figuring it would be ABOUT 15-17k. Keep my car or trade it in?

B
Old 02-19-2016, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I'd hang on to the 2014. With a 2016 you'd be getting a vehicle that's in its 8th model year, and not much different than your 2014. The new gen, with new styling, tech etc., is right around the corner. Whether or not a 1st year model from the new plant would work for you is another question.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bob m
My car is in excellent shape and figuring I'd get about 29-30k.
Which engine and option package do you have? A guy in another thread just posted that a dealer was offering him UP TO $26K for a 2014 Q5 TDI PP.

As far as "would you trade or not," I think only you can answer that question. The 2016s may have a few more niceties standard, but also the base price has gone up since 2014. Personally, I would not trade unless there is something unfixably wrong with your current Q5, but again, some people can't stand driving a vehicle that's more than a few years old, and that's OK. Audi loves such customers.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks, Pete and Bob. I have 35k on it, 2.0 - Prestige plus and sport package. Excellent condition and Audi care + oil change in between.Yeah, I'm guessing it does not make much sense financially. It's my car and fully paid, not a lease. And there's almost nothing new in the 2016 car. I also am hesitant about the 2017 - first model change in years and at a new plant in Mexico.
May take a look at the New MB CLK though.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upgrade to 3.0T? If you don't have anything substantial that you'd want to upgrade, then no, I don't see the point if you're just re-buying the same car.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bob m
Thanks, Pete and Bob. I have 35k on it, 2.0 - Prestige plus and sport package. Excellent condition and Audi care + oil change in between.Yeah, I'm guessing it does not make much sense financially. It's my car and fully paid, not a lease. And there's almost nothing new in the 2016 car. I also am hesitant about the 2017 - first model change in years and at a new plant in Mexico.
May take a look at the New MB CLK though.
I'm currently shopping the new GLC (the replacement for the GLK). It gets a bit pricey, but is nice. It's also a new model, although not from a new plant. Still on the fence on it.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We also have a GLC and it is nice. The default start/stop is annoying though I am sure some people like it. That being said you are unable to tune it easily (i.e apr, unitronic ets.) and nothing like vagcom to play with and reset SRI's.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Q5 Bob
I'm currently shopping the new GLC (the replacement for the GLK). It gets a bit pricey, but is nice. It's also a new model, although not from a new plant. Still on the fence on it.
Duh! I meant GLC. I may take a look see today as the MB dealership is only a few miles away. It sure looks nice. Now, I must say, I have not had one issue with my Q5 other than the fact that the heaters blow air out at different temps at times - one side can be warm and the other cold - both set at same temp. Not a biggie. I also had the first q5 - 2009 and other than sunroof issues, was a pleasure. Maybe it's a good thing that the Q5 has not noticeably changed much since its first introduction (major exceptions TDI'S) but I'm curious about what else is out there. Did a Q5 - X3 comparison 2 years back and for a number of reasons chose the Q5.
Funny, my wife's 2006 Outback is in for servicing and they gave us a well loaded 2016 Outback V6 last week and we went on a 180 mile trip and actually was a solid comfortable ride - not as quiet or nice as my Q5 (with sport seats) but that NAV and info system was way easier to use than on my Q. Not a biggie, but was a pleasant surprise.

The Q5 is a solid car, maybe I'm looking for something that handles as well, solid, but a little different.

Last edited by bob m; 02-19-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sszyma
We also have a GLC and it is nice. The default start/stop is annoying though I am sure some people like it. That being said you are unable to tune it easily (i.e apr, unitronic ets.) and nothing like vagcom to play with and reset SRI's.
Thanks and what are other impressions vis a vis the Q5?
Old 02-19-2016, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Personally I think the trade from a 2014 to 2016 wouldn't make much sense, unless you are upgrading your choice in engine. Furthermore, I doubt the dealer would offer you $30K for the 2014...perhaps only as an offset to the MSRP of a 2016, and then you would still come out short.

What specifically is making you want to "upgrade"?

Quick Reply: Would you trade?