Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by a4avant-ti
But, isn't the TDI warranty only for engine related parts? Whereas the purchased warranty in this case would cover interior/exterior/drive-train/suspension, etc?
Thank You, good point, the purchased warranty was "Platinum" level which covers everything. I will carefully monitor what is offered.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
Fascinating and that is how I read it too. I see many Gen 1 Q7s for sale online for less than the expected buyback amount. I wonder if there is any clause restricting an owner from having and collecting on multiple vehicles? Same with Gen 2 vehicles. Perhaps I should be shopping for a Gen 2 replacement for our Gen 1 now rather than later after the fix.

Be careful before buying a Q7. Keep in mind that the previous owner(s) will have a claim on 50% of the restitution amount, so you will likely not get the full buyback amount. Also - if the vehicle has a lot of miles relative to its model year, there will be a substantial reduction in the buyback value. And obviously make sure the title is clean.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Mark P
I surely didn't read everything, but the only stuff I saw on "performance limitations" was that if they didn't achieve that, then they merely have to pay us $500/car. It didn't seem like it was an actual requirement for those performance limitations, but again I didn't read it all. It didn't leave me warm and fuzzy to read they could get away with giving me only $500 and have a bigger hit to performance. Or is there more I didn't read yet?
To me, this is the 2nd worst part of the proposal after no-buyback option for gen2. I can't believe they gate the most important aspect of the fix by a mere $500 . Also, I don't like the criteria to be used for determining reduced performance. In section 7.5 of the document https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...%201.31.17.pdf, it says:

For purposes of this section,
Reduced Performance means a change in any of the following performance attributes:
(1) a reduction in calculated fuel economy using the EPA formula of more than 3 MPG;
(2) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak horsepower; or
(3) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak torque.

The performance impacts shall be measured by Volkswagen pursuant to industry standards in connection with its submission of an Emissions Modification Proposal to the EPA and CARB ..

Except for (1), none of the criteria seem to take into account normal, daily driving conditions. How often do you hit the peak HP or torque when driving? With this proposal, there can be a scenario where the fix reduces the performance in normal driving conditions and not being considered as reduced performance. Even worse, impact to average driving conditions may be severe and WW can argue the agreement not mentioning average conditions in that case, avoiding further motions to change the terms etc.

I think they have to take into account at least average HP & torque in addition to these above.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I think that 14 February is the "preliminary hearing" where it could be approved. Possible nothing gets approved for some time, especially if the comments are really considered and negotiation needs to take place.
No, this is incorrect. 2/14 is the legal end of a long negotiation process and will be the final go ahead.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JCG57
Be careful before buying a Q7. Keep in mind that the previous owner(s) will have a claim on 50% of the restitution amount, so you will likely not get the full buyback amount. Also - if the vehicle has a lot of miles relative to its model year, there will be a substantial reduction in the buyback value. And obviously make sure the title is clean.
Let's be careful with our terminology. The new owner will get the full buyback amount, but have to share restitution penalty with any former owner who applies for it. That stands to reduce the total on a Q7 somewhere in the range of $4-5k.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by seattle_q5
To me, this is the 2nd worst part of the proposal after no-buyback option for gen2. I can't believe they gate the most important aspect of the fix by a mere $500 . Also, I don't like the criteria to be used for determining reduced performance. In section 7.5 of the document https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en...%201.31.17.pdf, it says:

For purposes of this section,
Reduced Performance means a change in any of the following performance attributes:
(1) a reduction in calculated fuel economy using the EPA formula of more than 3 MPG;
(2) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak horsepower; or
(3) a decrease of greater than 5% in peak torque.

The performance impacts shall be measured by Volkswagen pursuant to industry standards in connection with its submission of an Emissions Modification Proposal to the EPA and CARB ..

Except for (1), none of the criteria seem to take into account normal, daily driving conditions. How often do you hit the peak HP or torque when driving? With this proposal, there can be a scenario where the fix reduces the performance in normal driving conditions and not being considered as reduced performance. Even worse, impact to average driving conditions may be severe and WW can argue the agreement not mentioning average conditions in that case, avoiding further motions to change the terms etc.

I think they have to take into account at least average HP & torque in addition to these above.
Engine/transmission mechanics make it quite unlikely that performance would not diminish at the extremes but would at the mid range.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The best source of information on all this may be found at this massive Club Touareg thread:

VW TDI EPA Recall (2.0L and 3.0L) - Page 89 - Club Touareg Forums
Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mythdoc
No, this is incorrect. 2/14 is the legal end of a long negotiation process and will be the final go ahead.
Just got this off the VW website, but maybe it is outdated:

"The agreements covering the proposed 3.0L TDI recall program are subject to the approval of Judge Charles R. Breyer of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, who presides over the federal Multi-District Litigation (MDL) proceedings related to the diesel matter. The parties have filed preliminary settlement approval documents containing information about the settlement. Those preliminary approval documents are available here . A preliminary approval hearing has been scheduled by the Court for February 14, 2017."

Maybe preliminary approval hearing means approval of the preliminary documents?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikemdd
Just got this off the VW website, but maybe it is outdated:

"The agreements covering the proposed 3.0L TDI recall program are subject to the approval of Judge Charles R. Breyer of the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, who presides over the federal Multi-District Litigation (MDL) proceedings related to the diesel matter. The parties have filed preliminary settlement approval documents containing information about the settlement. Those preliminary approval documents are available here . A preliminary approval hearing has been scheduled by the Court for February 14, 2017."

Maybe preliminary approval hearing means approval of the preliminary documents?
For all practical purposes, 2/14 is the end. That is why these settlement provisions have been released by both then FTC and VW group. Breyer has already blessed them privately.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Sounds like a sweetheart of a deal!!

Quick Reply: YEEHAW! Audi to Buy Back 3.0L TDIs