Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Audi SQ5 Tuning - DTE / DTUK module

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry for the triple reply, but how do you edit your comment on here?

I was just going to say that a) its true that 17 lb-ft aint much, but 80hp is no slouch and b) if you want to see how the sausage is made, and find out what goes into this tune and exactly what comes out then APR is as good an outfit as any. Their reputation is excellent. I think they can produce numbers for those of us who want to see exactly what they are getting.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 326 Likes on 254 Posts

The SQ5 is a heavy pig and you need torque to get it moving, not horsepower. 10ft-lbs of torque change is something you'd be hard pressed to even notice with the butt dyno. If you are planning on tracking the vehicle and needed top speed, then 80HP would be useful, but this isn't really the vehicle for that sort of thing.

The biggest difference of APR is it's a legit tune (they reprogram the ECU to work properly, not just spoofing it like a piggyback). Keep in mind that Audi does tag/void warranty when they detect changes to the ECU like this. It's your money, but if you're concerned about warranty, out of the box your SQ5 comes with that free. Just saying...
Old 06-04-2018, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Location: Vancouver, BC w/ a 2018 SQ5 Technik, FULLY loaded. Wow, you can really put a lot of info in here!

Originally Posted by Wires
Keep in mind that Audi does tag/void warranty when they detect changes to the ECU like this.
As a long time car guy, I understand torque and hp lol, but THIS ^^^^^ was news to me, as that certainly has not been the case with AMG and BMW.

Is this (semi) official policy at a corporate level, or is this anecdotal at the dealership level?
Are they cool with piggybacks (in the sense you could leave it on when visiting the dealer) or just true ECU reprogramming?
The former would be very surprising, the latter not so much. In the case of my C63 for example it was de-tuned already from more expensive models
so there wasn't much risk in a re-write.

And 2k maybe an issue for you and/or I, but its not for many people. There will always be those who pay for peace of mind of buying from an established brand.
I have no affiliation with those guys, I just presented another option that seemingly had not been discussed here yet.

And again I ask, can you edit these comments?
Old 06-04-2018, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There is threads on it. It is Audi corporate's stance to tag ECU modifications (piggybacks are not detectable since they aren't modifying the ECU).

I have no issues spending $2k if I get something for it. The Dinan tune in my BMW was $2k, but I netted 60+HP/60+ftlbs which was insanely noticeable. I just wouldn't spend that kind of money on something that I would have a hard time even noticing driving around town.

On your post there should be a "edit" button at the bottom, then "quote & reply". Unless it's disabled since you're a new user?
Old 06-04-2018, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry. I misread your previous post. TWICE!

My apologies, I read it as they did NOT tag/void warranties. Not my usual MO, nor am I sure how I did that. Wishful thinking I suppose.

No edit button for me yet. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by George@BMS
At the moment we haven't had any reports of the WOT shifting issue. The JB4 can see the gear and gearchange and has a autoshift boost reduction feature that is time based and adjustable so any type of hesitation can be dialed out easily.
The unit has multiple maps on it as well as a user adjustable map so you can dial in the type of power delivery you want (some users prefer linear vs a hard torque hit).
Here is some logs we did over the weekend at a private track heading past 140mph. You can see from the rpm that the gearchanges are crisp.
George - Maybe I missed it, but any update on when you'll have tuners for the SQ5 available?
Old 07-24-2018, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I was thinking the same thing yesterday!
Old 07-25-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by WolfMan90045
George - Maybe I missed it, but any update on when you'll have tuners for the SQ5 available?
Originally Posted by Wires
I was thinking the same thing yesterday!
Its close! I am on the Beta unit and last I talked with George they are really close to finalizing the firmware for the release. Hopefully he will be sending it out any day now for us Beta testers to confirm its good to go, then release to the public.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the update. I shall commence raiding the kids piggybanks.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have contacted George too. They have made some final adjustments and the units are going through testing. Waiting to hear the final result....

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi SQ5 Tuning - DTE / DTUK module