Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Premium MMI issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 2018 Premium MMI issue

Our 2018 Premium has developed an issue with the MMI. The MMI screen randomly shows the preset menu while driving. I am describing the preset menu that shows the 8 preset buttons and the station assigned to each. We are currently on a road trip and it first seemed to only happen when I let off the accelerator or applied the brakes. Today it is doing it constantly while driving. It randomly 'highlights' the numbers for the presets when it comes on.

It makes it very difficult to use the MMI interface because the menu covers the items you are trying to select. It is also very distracting when it flashes on and off.

Anyone else experience this and have a solution?
Old 11-19-2017, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blchandl2
Our 2018 Premium has developed an issue with the MMI. The MMI screen randomly shows the preset menu while driving. I am describing the preset menu that shows the 8 preset buttons and the station assigned to each. We are currently on a road trip and it first seemed to only happen when I let off the accelerator or applied the brakes. Today it is doing it constantly while driving. It randomly 'highlights' the numbers for the presets when it comes on.

It makes it very difficult to use the MMI interface because the menu covers the items you are trying to select. It is also very distracting when it flashes on and off.

Do you have the touch pad or regular buttons? It seems like something is triggering the menu, perhaps something's messed up in that area. I haven't seen the issue on my SQ5 Prestige in the 3-4 months I've had it
Old 11-20-2017, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ours has the regular buttons. It seems like something in the haptic system thinks we have our hands hovering/touching the buttons. I have tried forcing a reboot of the MMI system but it did not help. Have to shut the MMI screen off while driving because it is so distracting. The fact it has become progressively worse makes me think it is a loose connection/bad solder joint. We have put more miles on the car in the last 3 days than we have in the last 7 weeks.

It looks like another trip back to the dealer. We were so happy to finally have the rattle cured after 3 trips and a total of 2 weeks of the car being at the dealer.
Old 11-20-2017, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ours has the regular buttons. It seems like something in the haptic system thinks we have our hands hovering/touching the buttons. I have tried forcing a reboot of the MMI system but it did not help. Have to shut the MMI screen off while driving because it is so distracting. The fact it has become progressively worse makes me think it is a loose connection/bad solder joint. We have put more miles on the car in the last 3 days than we have in the last 7 weeks.

It looks like another trip back to the dealer. We were so happy to finally have the rattle cured after 3 trips and a total of 2 weeks of the car being at the dealer.
Outbof curiosity where did the rattle come from? I have one, and I can't pin down the source because it reverberates through everything
Old 11-21-2017, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AndroidRobot
Outbof curiosity where did the rattle come from? I have one, and I can't pin down the source because it reverberates through everything
Our rattle was from the rear lower seat frame. They had to replace the entire rear lower seat frame. They would not believe me when I was telling them it was the seat. They insisted on having someone sitting in the back seat to listen and the weight of a passenger would stop the rattle. Just a few pounds of pressure on the seat cushion would stop the rattle. I showed them several times that knocking (like knocking on a door) on the rear seat back would cause the rattle. To me, the sound was coming from the center area towards the back from under the seat.

Good luck with solving yours, they can be difficult to track down.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a video of the MMI going crazy while driving. NOTE: nobody and nothing near the preset buttons.

Old 12-31-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can not use the Nav and Audi connect.. i dont know why