Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 Q5 Tailgate foot swing sensor not working and random openings

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KaDeTime

the remote needs to be few feet away and in the back
Then I’m baffled. My only other thought was trailer hitch messed it up somehow. If you don’t have touch anything, and you can lock and unlock doors from a distance, I don’t see how it might not work from more than a few feet away. I’d think only the ignition has that limited a proximity.
Old 07-31-2018, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jascooper

Then I’m baffled. My only other thought was trailer hitch messed it up somehow. If you don’t have touch anything, and you can lock and unlock doors from a distance, I don’t see how it might not work from more than a few feet away. I’d think only the ignition has that limited a proximity.
the trunk also has it and the car knows what side you are on
Old 07-31-2018, 04:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by KaDeTime
the trunk also has it and the car knows what side you are on

I can unlock the trunk from inside my house. I can’t start my car from there.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I can unlock the trunk from inside my house. I can’t start my car from there.

wow i I think we are talking about proximity access not you pressing the remote or starting the engine...

Last edited by KaDeTime; 08-02-2018 at 05:16 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally haven't had a random open on my SQ5 yet, but plenty of problems pressing the lock button on the trunk, it's random and very annoying.

My co-worker just mentioned to me today that while driving, the trunk randomly opened! I haven't heard of this before and it's pretty bad. There is no situation where the trunk should open while the car is in motion, fob press or not.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I don’t know about others, or what age group many current Audi owners fall in, but doesn’t some of these behaviors (tailgate opening mysteriously, AC unintentionally shutting off) bring back memories of Audi’s bizarre acceleration issues blamed on everything from drivers with wide feet, pedal proximity, or other user blame?

We’re not inadvertently pushing the unlock button, and are not hearing reports of cars chirping or doors unlocking. Last night I recorded a video of setting my AC to MAX then pressing the fan button to lower its speed. It didn’t take a second try to record the evidence of something that shouldn’t happen. It shut the AC off.

And since nobody has died, nothing will likely be done. If I had a dog, it certainly would never ride in the cargo area.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:36 AM
RLL
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t know about others, or what age group many current Audi owners fall in, but doesn’t some of these behaviors (tailgate opening mysteriously, AC unintentionally shutting off) bring back memories of Audi’s bizarre acceleration issues blamed on everything from drivers with wide feet, pedal proximity, or other user blame?

We’re not inadvertently pushing the unlock button, and are not hearing reports of cars chirping or doors unlocking. Last night I recorded a video of setting my AC to MAX then pressing the fan button to lower its speed. It didn’t take a second try to record the evidence of something that shouldn’t happen. It shut the AC off.

And since nobody has died, nothing will likely be done. If I had a dog, it certainly would never ride in the cargo area.
The Audi 5000. They changed the model name hoping people would forget lol.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a random SQ5 tailgate opening. Yesterday, in my second week of ownership. We went to a restaurant for dinner, came out and the trunk was wide open. I'm going to attribute it to an inadvertent fob press in my pocket until it happens again. The fob design does suggest that the button would be fairly easy to press since it's flush with the body of the fob rather than inset. Also you can add my name to the list of people who can't get the trunk to open with the foot sensor until the third or fourth attempt. The tech guy at the dealership said to kick perpendicular to the bumper, between the parking sensors in the middle - he advised against doing the side to side foot swipe that one would expect. I can't get it to work with any regularity with either motion.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2018_SQ5
Program the keyfob for a longer press in order to open the boot lid. I moved mine to 2.8 seconds and it solved my random trunk openings.
How can you reprogram the fob? Is it something the dealer has to do?
Old 08-17-2018, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalMN
How can you reprogram the fob? Is it something the dealer has to do?
You can code it using OBDEleven or VCDS, but some have reported getting the dealer to do it for them.

Module: 46/Control Module Comfort Sys
Adaptation
Time for opening rear lid with remote control
Old value: 800ms
New value: 2000ms

Quick Reply: 2018 Q5 Tailgate foot swing sensor not working and random openings