Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 another article!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 01:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah it looks pretty cool, I saw one in a escalade yesteday, but thought it was over the top on that car. w/o it how will the old cluster be?
Old 01-23-2017, 01:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by larryV
Love the virtual cockpit! Already have it on the wife's Q7 and now I wish my RS7 had it. Virtual cockpit makes the center iPod-like display redundant and almost pointless. I love having the map on the virtual cockpit in my line of sight when driving stead of on the center display, and you can minimize the speedo/tach to show more map detail as needed. Virtual cockpit is probably one of the few little details that's keeping me loyal to the Audi brand recently. I've experienced similar fully-digital instrument panel displays from Range Rovers, Mercedes, and Volvo recently, but nobody does it as well as Audi's virtual cockpit. Definitely worth the extra cost.
Am I correct in assuming that you can have 2 different screens? That would be a big plus for me and a safety feature because it's distracting with a single screen when you change back and forth while driving. For example, in my truck when using Android Auto I have to exit to the GM infotainment to view non Android info such as outside temp or radio stations playing.
Old 01-23-2017, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron.S
Am I correct in assuming that you can have 2 different screens? That would be a big plus for me and a safety feature because it's distracting with a single screen when you change back and forth while driving. For example, in my truck when using Android Auto I have to exit to the GM infotainment to view non Android info such as outside temp or radio stations playing.
Yes, you can cycle through different MMI views on either screen independently. For example, in our Q7, I use the virtual cockpit screen to show the map, navigation info and traffic info, and have tach/speedo minimized (since the HUD already shows speed anyway), while I almost always leave the central dash display on infotainment info (radio, media, Sirius, Audi connect services, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, etc), and cycle that when I make occasional adjustments with vehicle settings, drive select, ride height, etc. I sometimes flip that to show infotainment stuff on VC and maps on central display when I have passengers. My wife likes to have the Virtual cockpit in full maps view AND the central display on maps view as well, or sometimes maps via Apple CarPlay from her connected iPhone, and her rationale is "you can never have too many maps" lol
Old 01-24-2017, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by larryV
Yes, you can cycle through different MMI views on either screen independently. For example, in our Q7, I use the virtual cockpit screen to show the map, navigation info and traffic info, and have tach/speedo minimized (since the HUD already shows speed anyway), while I almost always leave the central dash display on infotainment info (radio, media, Sirius, Audi connect services, Apple CarPlay, Android Auto, etc), and cycle that when I make occasional adjustments with vehicle settings, drive select, ride height, etc. I sometimes flip that to show infotainment stuff on VC and maps on central display when I have passengers. My wife likes to have the Virtual cockpit in full maps view AND the central display on maps view as well, or sometimes maps via Apple CarPlay from her connected iPhone, and her rationale is "you can never have too many maps" lol
is it possible to make it a "classic" look, like dark colors with large tach/speedom? for example at night may want it to look classic/sleek
Old 01-24-2017, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sass0
is it possible to make it a "classic" look, like dark colors with large tach/speedom? for example at night may want it to look classic/sleek
Here's a YouTube video of the Audi Virtual Cockpit. It is not specific to any Audi so there might be some minor variations in between models.

Here is a detailed look of the Virtual Cockpit in the 2016 Audi TT. Again, there may be slight variations between the TT's cockpit and the Q5 or SQ5 but they are generally similar.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Yes, you can toggle to minimize/maximize the tach and speedo via the "view" button on the steering wheel. Below are a couple of photos of both views in our Q7. In this case I have the map in background, but you can change the map to a more classic driver info display like trip computer, time/date, infotainment, contact list/phone, etc, and there's some customizability to content within those as well.

Old 01-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@larryv thx for sharing! looks cool! does the brightness bug at night? you can dim down pretty low correct?
Old 01-24-2017, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

@larryv thx for sharing! looks cool! does the brightness bug at night? you can dim down pretty low correct?
yes, you can set the brightness level, and it also auto-dims accordingly when the light sensor is triggered to activate the headlights, just like the regular analog instrument panel.
Old 01-24-2017, 02:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

@larryv confirmed GOAT of audiworld.com!
Old 01-24-2017, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks Larry, very good info and pics.
I am getting impatient not sure I can wait, ha ha. Went on the Canadian build for the 2018 Q5 and they have the DAP listed (Urban Driver Assistance-US $1200) and also show 2 shock upgrades that can be ordered separately. One is the air shocks-US$1800 and the other the Magneride type(sports suspension with damping control) about $750 US. Maybe the US builds wills follow similar price and availability.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 another article!