Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

2018 SQ5 Exhaust State

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 327 Likes on 255 Posts

VW = Audi = Porsche, and VW and Audi use the faux tips. Wouldn't surprise me if the newer Macan's started to have the similar styling very soon since they are all based on the same platform.

My guess is that you risk melting the rear plastic with that type of attempt. If you want real rear tips, the only real solution is the new rear plastic, but that involves the entire body kit to tie the lines together (which would result in a sweet looking ride).
Old 02-15-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie101

It only bothers me to the degree that Audi could have done so much more to distinguish the rear end of the SQ5...they only had to speak to the Porsche folks within VAG for a bit of inspiration. Nevertheless, I enjoy the car very much and I whine only in jest. But, sometimes I wonder...why not change the exhaust and rear facia? But to do a body kit, slim or wide, might be a bit much for my driving taste. I wonder why can't we just alter the existing trim? I did a quick photoshop (above) of what it would look like if a 6"x 2/78" oval were cut into our existing trim and an off the self exhaust tip inserted. Looks aside, the first thing that I thought of is would the tip melt the trim? Maybe if the opening were bigger, say 1/4" all around would survive the heat? How do the other brands do it? It just seems like an easy fix. Or is this too mickey mouse? Hmm...Go big (ABT kit) or go home?
Here are a couple of screenshots from a YouTube video. This owner cut out pieces from the existing bumper and ran dual pipes through the openings. Inexpensive option, but I still prefer the appearance of MTR kit.

The following users liked this post:
Guvnick (08-02-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firstinsd
Here are a couple of screenshots from a YouTube video. This owner cut out pieces from the existing bumper and ran dual pipes through the openings. Inexpensive option, but I still prefer the appearance of MTR kit.

Yes, the MTR kit looks better overall. I wasn't able to navigate the MTR website. Any idea on the cost of the pieces?

Nevertheless, I had seen the you tube poster's solution. Quick, easy, and cheap for sure but (to my eyes) it seems to need some trim piece/bezel to finish the look. The actual opening, without the OEM fake piece, is very generously sized. But, it needs something to cover some gapping spaces. I don't know who can do it but I'm sure there's a fabricator out there that can do a trim piece for that opening. I might be going to SEMA later this year. Maybe I can ask around.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The issue you are going to find is there is limited/no aftermarket parts for the Q5/SQ5. We are into year 2 of this generation, and there is only 2 known body kits for this platform. Aftermarket grills need to come from Alibaba. Its a vehicle in a market segment that doesn't typically get modded. I'd love to see more body kits, etc, and my wife is the one in the family that says the SQ5 looks "meh" and needs some aggressive styling; but I think she is probably an isolated data point from the norm unfortunately. That being said, you ask most people, and they won't even realize the tips are fake. Only the true car nuts that look for 2 pipes vs 1 to determine engine size/performance.

The Q5/SQ5 tends to be more of a "wife's car", while guys gravitate to the S4/S5 for a performance ride. Women buy the Q5, the husbands buy the SQ5 because if they are forced to drive an SUV, they want sport (that's how we got one).
Old 02-15-2019, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 393 Likes on 279 Posts

Or some of us guys are getting older and getting in and out of an s5 or rs5 is getting harder on the joints. An SQ5 isn't a bad compromise with ergonomics. I'm no longer forced to drive an SUV, but I do appreciate some of its other practicality for everyday living (especially in the country). Again, another decent compromise in the SQ5.

Last edited by spindlewood; 02-15-2019 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Sorry, wasn't meaning anything in a negative tone. I love our SQ5 (ours was technically bought as the "wife's" ride). I take it on all our outings and trips. Fun as shat to drive, handles like a dream, with mileage similar to my 3-series BMW.

I'm just saying that the target market for the Q5/SQ5 typically isn't those who mod their vehicles (I would be an exception as well), so aftermarket support is almost non-existent -- unfortunately. I never leave anything stock, and the only thing I could externally change out was the grill, which was a unit I had to go to Alibaba for. I'd love a more aggressive front lip, but there is nothing out there.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Or some of us guys are getting older and getting in and out of an s5 or rs5 is getting harder on the joints. An SQ5 isn't a bad compromise with ergonomics. I'm no longer forced to drive an SUV, but I do appreciate some of its other practicality for everyday living (especially in the country). Again, another decent compromise in the SQ5.
+1... SQ5 is my daily driver. Weekend fun in my '12 Porsche Cayman R.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HDEddie101
Yes, the MTR kit looks better overall. I wasn't able to navigate the MTR website. Any idea on the cost of the pieces?

Nevertheless, I had seen the you tube poster's solution. Quick, easy, and cheap for sure but (to my eyes) it seems to need some trim piece/bezel to finish the look. The actual opening, without the OEM fake piece, is very generously sized. But, it needs something to cover some gapping spaces. I don't know who can do it but I'm sure there's a fabricator out there that can do a trim piece for that opening. I might be going to SEMA later this year. Maybe I can ask around.
I contacted a shop here in Southern California that gave me a price for the front and rear MTR kit. It was around $9,000 with shipping, paint and installation.
Old 02-15-2019, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by firstinsd
I contacted a shop here in Southern California that gave me a price for the front and rear MTR kit. It was around $9,000 with shipping, paint and installation.
$9K plus paint and labor, while very sharp ;looking for sure, is a bit too much for me just to get pipes out the back. I might try to have a stamped steel piece just to replace the fake exhaust. A quick photoshop shows the piece in stainless with center divider omitted, and with a mesh style garnish around the exhaust. Presuming a fabricator can match the mount points of the OEM piece, this piece might just snap in. Then if I can keep the size of the new oval exhaust tip not touching the new stamped steel piece, it might work without rattling or overheating. Anyone think this would work?
Old 02-16-2019, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Ughhh.. that price just hurts for "dress up parts". I'd love to "sport up" the SQ5, but not for that price.

Quick Reply: 2018 SQ5 Exhaust State