Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Any DIY guides on changing oil for the 2.0 MkII?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any DIY guides on changing oil for the 2.0 MkII?

I’ve searched the forums and found DIYs on the 2.0 MkI, and 3.0 MkII but not the 2.0 MkII. Is there one out there? If not, do any of the previous DIYs overlap?

I did find something on YouTube but using the extraction method, which I’m not interested in doing unless I absolutely have to. Any advice appreciated
Old 04-28-2024, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 306 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by Ageispolis
I’ve searched the forums and found DIYs on the 2.0 MkI, and 3.0 MkII but not the 2.0 MkII. Is there one out there? If not, do any of the previous DIYs overlap?

I did find something on YouTube but using the extraction method, which I’m not interested in doing unless I absolutely have to. Any advice appreciated
Over the years I have seen them on here in this forum. But I find the search feature lacking or I just can't get it right and can never find what I want. Check YouTube and you should find a bunch of video's there.
Old 04-28-2024, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 141 Likes on 98 Posts

It’s your car so do as you please but I have always used the extraction method on my 2.0t. I’m at 95k miles with virtually no oil consumption and I always get out what I put in. Takes me 15 minutes tops to change the oil and I don’t have to lift the car.

there will always be small amounts of residual oil left in the pan no matter how you change the oil. As long as you go for a short drive before changing the oil and the oil is warm you will get 98-99% of the oil out.

if you want to drain it from the pan you have to remove the aero from under the engine. The oil plug is plastic and one time use. I believe it’s a quarter turn to remove it and you will need an Allen key or a flathead screwdriver. Just make sure you don’t drain the DSG fluid. It’s pretty obvious where the oil drain plug is but I have heard of quick lube places draining the transmission because they are not used the look of the Audi/VW drain plug.

drain plug should look something like this

Last edited by toomanymc; 04-28-2024 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I too usually use the extraction method, but every few changes I like to remove the "aero cover" underneath and take a look at everything while draining the oil. I take that opportunity to examine for any leaks (never found any) and clean up. It's straightforward for me as I use a QuickJack. If the timing is right, I also rotate the tires. I use a large Philips-head screwdriver to remove the drain plug. Remove the oil filter before draining, and take care not to over tighten the filter cover (torque is listed on top). Be careful when you first remove the drain plug as the oil really flies out at first.
Old 04-29-2024, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 329 Likes on 257 Posts

Not sure how the 2.0 is, but on my 3.0, I can drop that cover, and drain the oil through the bung without jacking the car. You can reach under from the front to loosen those 1/2 turn screws (9) to drop the plastic cover.

I'd image the 2.0 is the same deal. Filter is removed from the engine compartment. Super easy DIY in the driveway type job.
Old 04-29-2024, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 393 Likes on 279 Posts

I did an extraction write-up for the 3 0 SQ5.

This post is an oil plug / pan write-up for the 2.0 Q5.

I also highly recommend the extraction method. Most use a
Mityvac Mityvac
or similar - but I used
an electrical model an electrical model
which I've been happy with. Mine gets all the oil in 15-20 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
ribeye (04-30-2024)