Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Anyone have issues with power windows?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Aside from this persistent issue of the window reversing, Audi’s window toggle control buttons are pretty poor. Way too much slop (throw) in the buttons. On most occasions, takes me several toggle jiggles to get the window open to where I want it.
Old 08-29-2019, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Q5 2017

[QUOTE=Koolio;25135599]
I too have this problem. My car is now booked in for the 7th time with my local dealership. It’s been going on for a year. The car had had the window motor replaced twice, window console twice, new wiring, reprogrammed 3 times with new software. The boot of my car also opens on my own and the after sales dept blamed it on the CCTV radio waves emitted at my local train station! I have made notes to get them to check the pressure sensor system and the window regulator - has your problem been resolved yet?
Old 09-11-2019, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone with window concerns should try rolling the window down halfway then grab the glass and pull up and down. If there is more than a tiny 1-2mm of play the regulator /motor needs to be replaced. The teeth on the motor gear which winds up the cables is plastic and when teeth are chipped off they start to have more play. This play in the movement is what causes the pinch sensors to get tripped.

This is will also help prove the issue to the dealer so they don’t try and avoid fixing the issue with software or grease on the guides.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 154 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MkVI GTI
Anyone with window concerns should try rolling the window down halfway then grab the glass and pull up and down. If there is more than a tiny 1-2mm of play the regulator /motor needs to be replaced. The teeth on the motor gear which winds up the cables is plastic and when teeth are chipped off they start to have more play. This play in the movement is what causes the pinch sensors to get tripped.

This is will also help prove the issue to the dealer so they don’t try and avoid fixing the issue with software or grease on the guides.
If chipped teeth occurs on all windows right after one takes delivery, as my windows have had this problem since then, the chipped teeth must occur virtually as soon or shortly after it leaves the factory (ie, after only a few times using the window). Can that be? If all window motors are the same, wouldn’t this be a problem with every Q5?
Old 09-12-2019, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

My '18 SQ5 suffers from the window issue as well. If it is partially down and I attempt to close the window it will often times open fully first. I had the window regulators replaced under warranty but the issue persists. Drivers side window also makes a terrible clunk occasionally but not often enough to reproduce at dealer. I am a bit embarrassed to take it back right now as I don't want to seem like the OCD customer always trying to get something fixed for free. I will mention it when the car goes in for it's 40k in a few months and hope that they take me seriously.
Old 09-12-2019, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jaims
If chipped teeth occurs on all windows right after one takes delivery, as my windows have had this problem since then, the chipped teeth must occur virtually as soon or shortly after it leaves the factory (ie, after only a few times using the window). Can that be? If all window motors are the same, wouldn’t this be a problem with every Q5?
To be clear, the chipped teeth are on the window motor/regulator gear which winds up the cable and pulley system attached to the glass.

There was a batch of bad window motors in the early 2018's that where TSB'd and seems there are many cars that where not on the list that also had the bad motor's. My car was a mid 2018 and the VIN was just outside the range in the TSB. There have also been many cases reported where the window channels where full of dirt so potential the windows where installed then rolled up and down and too much friction/resistance caused some teeth to break off some teeth on the motor gear. Another theory is the window sticker being applied and the window being rolled up and down which also causes some friction. I've been on several test drives and the salesperson rolls the window down and the window sticker just bunches up and stops the window or trips the pinch protection.

In my case the windows worked "OK" but made a bunch of noise and the motor's would have prematurely...probably just outside warranty.

Last edited by MkVI GTI; 09-12-2019 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Yes! Anyone have any answers?

Originally Posted by Koolio
I have the same problem with my Q5. Anyone get anywhere with Audi with respect to this? They keep telling me there is nothing wrong. Thanks!
On my SQ5, if I have a window that’s partially down (e.g., open 50%) and I hit the button to close the window via the auto-close button (clicking to the second decent), the window will fully open / go down instead of up / close. I can’t reproduce it but it’s happened at 4-5 times on all windows. And it’s def random and not consistent.

Anyone else have have this issue?
any answers on how to fix this?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by windctyaudi
Out of curiosity are your windows tinted? I have experience the same issue but only after I had my windows tinted. In my case I would assume it is an issue with the film being too thick and the safety pressure sensor is being activated thinking something is in the way of the window. I have the llumar formula one stratos tint. The place I had my windows tinted told me it was going to take 7 days for it to dry because the film was thicker than normal tint.
Mine are tinted but had tint for over a year on my 2018 q5. What do I do now that it’s 3/4 closed and won’t go up anymore? Stumped...
Old 09-21-2019, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by jbberz@gmail.com
any answers on how to fix this?
Mine were fixed with TSB #: 2050362/3 – Reprograms the Driver Side Control Module

I've had the car a couple of months since this was done and no problems. But since it was an intermittent problem, there's no telling if it is truly fixed except over a longer period.
Old 09-23-2019, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by spindlewood
Mine were fixed with TSB #: 2050362/3 – Reprograms the Driver Side Control Module

I've had the car a couple of months since this was done and no problems. But since it was an intermittent problem, there's no telling if it is truly fixed except over a longer period.
Roll windows down halfway and pull up on the glass. if the glass is loose i.e. moves more then 1-2mm / 1/4in the motor will need to be swapped. You can show this to the dealer to prove it's not a software issue.

When the glass is loose it does not move smoothly in the window guides and catches on one side or the other which trips the pressure sensor and the window goes back down.

Last edited by MkVI GTI; 09-23-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone have issues with power windows?