Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Apple CarPlay issue with 2018 Q5

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fortunate1
I have that issue as well, though haven't noticed it when pre-sense goes off. For me, I've noticed that when I have the phone plugged in, the problem is going into reverse gear. If I back up, the center display shows rear-view camera, and then going back to D, shows the front view camera briefly. Then it goes to the main menu (the somewhat circular one). The icon shows "CarPlay," but it won't go beyond that to show the Apple home screen with icons.

Try backing up while your phone is plugged in, and then back to driving and see if it's also the same problem you're having.

And yes, I have to unplug/plug the phone to clear it. Frustrating.
Same issue here. I am at the point where I don’t plug my iPhone X until after I back up and am in Drive.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same as, apple car play a real issue , won’t go past the mmi screen even tho the CarPlay logo is active. Have to disconnect and re connect. Guys we buy these flipping cars because they have these supposed benefits as in CarPlay and Bluetooth. Why do we live with it????
Old 02-03-2018, 05:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aidanb
Same as, apple car play a real issue , won’t go past the mmi screen even tho the CarPlay logo is active. Have to disconnect and re connect. Guys we buy these flipping cars because they have these supposed benefits as in CarPlay and Bluetooth. Why do we live with it????
Because my dealer said its a known issue with iOs 11...rigggght
Old 02-03-2018, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rausda27
Because my dealer said its a known issue with iOs 11...rigggght
HAHAHA FAKE NEWS!!!!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm I’ve been having CarPlay connectivity issues only recently (CarPlay won’t show up when phone is plugged in). I wonder if it’s related to the issue. I bought my Q5 in July of 2017.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

We have the same issue with our 2018 Q5. Actually I just came back from dealership today, they told me that Audi is aware of this issue and is working on a software update that should be able to be released soon... If you were told they had no solution, does it mean my dealer is cheating?

Originally Posted by Sulyman123
We are told Audi is aware of the issue and currently has no solution. This is happening in the early shipment of 2018 models. We are told the newest models currently shipping have a different MMI unit and do not have this problem. We are wondering if this is a potential lemon law issue.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:53 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by denizwong
We have the same issue with our 2018 Q5. Actually I just came back from dealership today, they told me that Audi is aware of this issue and is working on a software update that should be able to be released soon... If you were told they had no solution, does it mean my dealer is cheating?

it seems to only happen when parking sensors are activated. When they are the CarPlay logo is visible on the MMI screen but when clicked it stays on the MMI screen (won’t go to actual CarPlay screen) car booked in to gwtbsoted hopefully.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have that issue as well, though haven't noticed it when pre-sense goes off. For me, I've noticed that when I have the phone plugged in, the problem is going into reverse gear. If I back up, the center display shows rear-view camera, and then going back to D, shows the front view camera briefly. Then it goes to the main menu (the somewhat circular one). The icon shows "CarPlay," but it won't go beyond that to show the Apple home screen with icons.

Try backing up while your phone is plugged in, and then back to driving and see if it's also the same problem you're having.

And yes, I have to unplug/plug the phone to clear it. Frustrating.
Hi, exactly the same problem for me on a June 2017 S5 with an iphone 6s and Ios 11.2... dealer said its a phone issue and that Audi are not liable for this functionality and offered some great advice.... you should have stayed on Ios10!
Another fine reason that at the end of this lease, ill be back in a Beemer!
Old 02-15-2018, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

FYI on this issue. My dealer opened a tag with Audi, it's apparently an issue the factory knows about. The service advisor had gotten the same feedback about IOS 10 vs. 11, factory had encouraged him to check my version, currently 11.2.5 on an iPhone X (yeah, I know, waste of money, but that's another story). Service advisor used his own phone to duplicate the problem so at least locally, they know it's not just the crazy guy (me). Anyway, factory reps said they were working on the issue. Bottom line, if/when there's a fix, they'll roll it out as a software update and do a reach-out to those who have logged tags on the issue. If your dealership service department hasn't opened a tag, you may not receive notice there's an update available.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

FYI on this issue. My dealer opened a tag with Audi, it's apparently an issue the factory knows about. The service advisor had gotten the same feedback about IOS 10 vs. 11, factory had encouraged him to check my version, currently 11.2.5 on an iPhone X (yeah, I know, waste of money, but that's another story). Service advisor used his own phone to duplicate the problem so at least locally, they know it's not just the crazy guy (me). Anyway, factory reps said they were working on the issue. Bottom line, if/when there's a fix, they'll roll it out as a software update and do a reach-out to those who have logged tags on the issue. If your dealership service department hasn't opened a tag, you may not receive notice there's an update available.
Great! Thanks for the FYI. Ill get them to open a tag.

Quick Reply: Apple CarPlay issue with 2018 Q5