Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Brake job and spark plugs, what nobody tells you

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 143 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks for the write up! I’ve had several VW’s prior to my Audi’s and have definitely collected a bunch of VAG specific tools, luckily they are generally not expensive and once you have them they work on all VAG cars.

I can’t recommend enough to download all the service manuals from Erwin. The DIY’s out there are helpful but I reference my service manuals for everything I do now and it makes things so much easier. Best $35 I’ve spent.

https://erwin.audiusa.com/erwin/showHome.do
The following 3 users liked this post by toomanymc:
Manual_Trans (03-09-2024), Mysteryman1961 (03-23-2024), twernicke (03-22-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great post. Thank you.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 32 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by uberwgn
What guy doesn't love the opportunity to go out and buy a bunch of new tools to complete the task at hand!
yeah don’t tell my wife I needed new tools haha
Old 03-14-2024, 02:12 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TJK
Not sure why you had to disconnect (open) the brake lines to replace brake pads. Did you do that intentionally?
you mean disconnect the brake lines from the upper control arm? It’s necessary because it’s a hard metal brake line and there’s no way to pull the calipers out without doing so.
Old 03-14-2024, 02:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by awdjunkies
Great write-up and tool usage. @knsaber I remember watching a "Cars and Coding" YouTube video about 4 or so years ago, and he used a very nifty jack/jackstand set, which I thought was genius!!! I told myself, that would be my next jack, and to this day I have yet to buy it. I'll post a video of it here to showcase what an awesome tool to add to our (Enthusiasts/DIYers) arsenal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cY_4LDCBdY
not a bad price considering some specialized tools for this issue costs 4x more, and also heck of a lot cheaper than quickjack solution. I’ll give it a go next brake service.
Old 03-14-2024, 03:57 AM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 202 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by knsaber
you mean disconnect the brake lines from the upper control arm? It’s necessary because it’s a hard metal brake line and there’s no way to pull the calipers out without doing so.
this car requires removal of the brake calipers in order to change the.brake pads alone? Or were the rotors replaced?
not trying to be annoying- just want to understand. On every car I have worked on, calipers can be unbolted as needed to gain access to the pads, without removing them entirely. Getting the rotors off for replacement sometimes necessitates caliper removal entirely, and disruption of the hydraulic brake lines. But pads alone? Usually there is enough flexibility in any lines local to the caliper to just leave them there or hang them on a hook while you replace pads in any fixed part of a caliper. Pad replacement almost never requires disruption of the hydraulic lines and system bleeding afterwards.

Last edited by TJK; 03-14-2024 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-14-2024, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TJK
this car requires removal of the brake calipers in order to change the.brake pads alone? Or were the rotors replaced?
not trying to be annoying- just want to understand. On every car I have worked on, calipers can be unbolted as needed to gain access to the pads, without removing them entirely. Getting the rotors off for replacement sometimes necessitates caliper removal entirely, and disruption of the hydraulic brake lines. But pads alone? Usually there is enough flexibility in any lines local to the caliper to just leave them there or hang them on a hook while you replace pads in any fixed part of a caliper. Pad replacement almost never requires disruption of the hydraulic lines and system bleeding afterwards.
you are absolutely correct on the process of how all cars should have brake pads replaced. Audi is basically the same except they love to add extra steps in between any job that annoys the F out of you. Hell, the rear dumb shocks and front wheel hub have impossibly tight electrical connectors you have to fight with before you can continue with your DIY. What do those wires do anyways?

unbolt the incredibly tight 21mm nuts to remove the caliper, BUT before you can slide it off the rotor, the line connecting the caliper to the soft brake line… is a hard metal line! To add an additional step, I had to go out and buy an ultra low profile T50 Torx to remove the nut bracing the hard line to the control arm. You’re not disrupting any brake fluid, you’re only loosening the clips that hold the brake lines against the control arm. Technically it’s a triple square nut that requires ultra low profile. Nobody tells you this in DIY videos.

now with the hard line free to move around, you can slide the caliper off the rotor and hang it up with a hook and continue with regular pad replacement procedure. At least this was my process on a SQ5. Rear calipers are way easier.

see pics from another user’s post. Poor guy didn’t have the DIY videos to watch back in 2019.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-fail-2973371/

Old 03-15-2024, 04:20 AM
TJK
AudiWorld Member

Received 202 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by knsaber
you are absolutely correct on the process of how all cars should have brake pads replaced. Audi is basically the same except they love to add extra steps in between any job that annoys the F out of you. Hell, the rear dumb shocks and front wheel hub have impossibly tight electrical connectors you have to fight with before you can continue with your DIY. What do those wires do anyways?

unbolt the incredibly tight 21mm nuts to remove the caliper, BUT before you can slide it off the rotor, the line connecting the caliper to the soft brake line… is a hard metal line! To add an additional step, I had to go out and buy an ultra low profile T50 Torx to remove the nut bracing the hard line to the control arm. You’re not disrupting any brake fluid, you’re only loosening the clips that hold the brake lines against the control arm. Technically it’s a triple square nut that requires ultra low profile. Nobody tells you this in DIY videos.

now with the hard line free to move around, you can slide the caliper off the rotor and hang it up with a hook and continue with regular pad replacement procedure. At least this was my process on a SQ5. Rear calipers are way easier.

see pics from another user’s post. Poor guy didn’t have the DIY videos to watch back in 2019.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...-fail-2973371/
okay thanks! So in your original post, when you described having to bleed the brakes and using a Motive auto-bleeder tool, you didn’t really need to bleed them; you did it because you wanted to, I guess. I don’t mean to belabor the point; just noting that bleeding the brakes isn’t necessary when you’re just changing brake pads.
The following users liked this post:
knsaber (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 05:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by TJK
okay thanks! So in your original post, when you described having to bleed the brakes and using a Motive auto-bleeder tool, you didn’t really need to bleed them; you did it because you wanted to, I guess. I don’t mean to belabor the point; just noting that bleeding the brakes isn’t necessary when you’re just changing brake pads.
You're correct. I don't want to scare you from possibly trying these DIYs yourself! But it really helps to have the right tools on hand unlike me and needing to buy from Amazon and waiting another day.
The following users liked this post:
TJK (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 177 Likes on 142 Posts

Love that Jack suggestion. That will be a much better solution than my current setup for changing wheels. I currently use the combination bottle jack/ jack stand to use the pinchweld placement for my SQ8, but because of the bottle jacks height, I still need to raise the wheels.

Quick Reply: Brake job and spark plugs, what nobody tells you