Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glisse
The PDK in the current Macan is Audi's DL501 transmission, as used in various MLB platform models (but not used in MLB Evo). The new Macan will move to a ZF made PDK, when it finally transitions to the MLB Evo platform next year. Porsche don't make transmissions, which would explain why they can't repair it.
It's my understanding that ZF manufactures both the 911 and Macan transmissions but the design differs. The PDK used in the sports cars is a Weissach design manufactured by ZF. The Macan transmission is a VW design manufactured by ZF. It may be tweaked (mainly software) by Weissach, but it is a DSG. I'm not sure if it's exactly the same as Audi's DL501 though just because both are DSGs.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ngerstman
Mercedes happens to be killing it in sales, the luxury leader. I’ve been a long time Mercedes customer who moved to Audi this year. The glc43 is a very nice vehicle, just not as nice as the sq5 imo. I don’t like the fact that they’ve gone to run flats and their suspension is much less forgiving on rough roads, love the sq air suspension. But the glc43 is quicker and more responsive, I just preferred the overall Audi package, others go for outright performance and prefer the glc. Regards. Ned.
Bumping up to the GLE gives you real tires, air suspension and 577 hp...It was worth the extra 50-60K...LOL...
Old 01-16-2018, 10:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawiz4u
https://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2018-audi-sq5-vs-2017-mercedes-amg-glc43-2017-porsche-macan-s-comparison-tes

The SQ5 comes in last. Looks like the SQ5 needs to drop some more weight to compete with MB and Porsche. I’ve owned both a Macan S and now the 2018 SQ5 and I have to agree with some of the criticisms. The Porsche is more fun to drive, duh ��. But I like the gearing of the 8-speed auto on the SQ5 much better at lower speeds. The Macan’s PDK shifts a little faster, but the gearing is too tall in first and second, causing an awkward pause starting from a dead stop or accelerating from 5-10 MPH. This combined with a little turbo lag requires one to use Manual shifting or Sport mode to compensate.Once you’re moving 20MPH, everything is great. Because of this low speed gearing issue, you get a more pronounced slingshot effect when the turbo boost kicks in. This feels fun, but can be harder to control than the more even power delivery of the SQ5. The ride comfort of the Macan is smoother than the SQ5 IMO. Both vehicles had the air suspensions. This might be partially due to the wheel size and tire types. My Macan had 20” wheels with Michelin Latitude A/S tires while the SQ5 has 21” wheels with lower profile Pirelli P-Zero Summer tires. I’ve got 20” wheels with A/S tires on order for winter, so I will see if that makes the difference. The braking on the SQ5 is superior to the Macan as documented by the test results. I prefer the feel of the SQ5 brakes over the Macan. Cornering is a little better in the Macan with less body roll, but with torque vectoring with the Sport package, the SQ5 holds it’s own. I like the sport seats in the SQ5 better than the 14-ways in the Macan, and I’m a pretty stout dude at 5’8” 225 lbs. I really like the interior of the SQ5 with the carbon inlays, heated steering wheel, and easy controls. The tech is much better in the Audi with the Virtual Cockpit and Navigation. I also really like the shifter in the Audi with the ability to quickly shift into Sport mode without taking my eyes off the road. And finally, the B&O sound system is much better than the Macan Bose system, with clearer highs and cleaner mid-range. So, overall I’m very happy with my SQ5. Yeah, it’s not as sexy looking as the Porsche or quite as fun to drive, but it is the complete package IMHO! ��
It's time to replace my S3 and I thought that the SQ5 might be it. After a test drive I knew that it wasn't. The car was very sloppy and not composed at all, car didn't feel comfortable cornering. And I can recall the vehicle being particularly bouncy. I then went and test drove a 2018 BMW X3 28i and it was night and day. The BMW felt so much more composed than the SQ5. Enough so for me to put in an order for a 2018 X3 M40i.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by damnitBobby
Lol at talking about real "driver's car" in this segment. You can keep telling yourself your Macan is a real "driver's car" and I'll just sit here and laugh at you thinking your 4,200+ lb all wheel drive SUV with all of its high center of gravity glory and raised ride height is even remotely close to a real driver's car.
Test drive a BMW X3 M40i. Lateral G's and acceleration better than plenty of the "driver's" cars out there. I'll bet that the X3 will also get better lap times than plenty of those driver's cars.
I'll also bet that the X3 will outperform 90% of cars that cost less than it does. You have to spend a lot more cash to get a significantly better driver's car than the BMW SUV.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
Test drive a BMW X3 M40i. Lateral G's and acceleration better than plenty of the "driver's" cars out there. I'll bet that the X3 will also get better lap times than plenty of those driver's cars.
I'll also bet that the X3 will outperform 90% of cars that cost less than it does. You have to spend a lot more cash to get a significantly better driver's car than the BMW SUV.
I got rid of a BMW for my second Audi Q5/SQ5. To each their own.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daberlin
To each their own.
Exactly!

One man's trash, indeed... And sometime it takes a little switching around before you find THAT vehicle. My time with the SQ5 was fine, but it wasn't what I really wanted or expected. I knew well enough to get out of it ASAP rather than suffer with a car I disliked driving.

All said, I really enjoy reading about people here loving their SQ5 experience. I mean, hey, we're all car people in one way or another... Isn't that the ultimate goal?
Old 01-16-2018, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by benjaminnicholas
Exactly!

One man's trash, indeed... And sometime it takes a little switching around before you find THAT vehicle. My time with the SQ5 was fine, but it wasn't what I really wanted or expected. I knew well enough to get out of it ASAP rather than suffer with a car I disliked driving.

All said, I really enjoy reading about people here loving their SQ5 experience. I mean, hey, we're all car people in one way or another... Isn't that the ultimate goal?
Agree. Fanboyness runs DEEP on the BMW forum sites. :-)

That said, I enjoyed the four years with the M Sport F30 (335i), but it wasn't a 'real' M (and no offense, neither is the X3M) but I was replacing a car that my wife would primarily be happy driving and not just me. Additionally, after all the money I poured into the BMW; Akra exhaust, M Sport tune, carbon fiber interior, M Brakes, etc. I should have simply waited another year and ordered an M3, but again, I WANTED a performance and cost compromise between the Porsche 911 and a sedan my wife would/could drive while not needing to be neurotic about where I parked it and how it would be treated by her. Sadly, we both grew tired of how poorly the BMW was wearing out. Fit and finish were disappointing. Rust, squeaks, strange noises, etc. It was time for it to go before we really regretted the F30. I will own another BMW in the future (other than the '86 my son and I continue to restore and pimp out), but right now, I don't see one that has me interested.

Porsche, Audi, BMW, and MB all offer all sorts of excellent crossover vehicles to fill the sector. Heck, even the new Volvo, Jag, Masarati, and Fiats offer some pretty impressive kit in a similar price point. Yet, after 3 months, both the wife and I love the Prestige SQ5, and don't regret the decision EVEN AFTER testing all the above makes and models. The Audi styling is terrific, the features are excellent, performance is more than she needs, and satisfies me on the trips to the store or short distance road trips. But as I said above, to each their own. There will always be something to love in a Turbo Macan down to a Base X1. It just comes down to what are the itches you need scratched.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by daberlin
I got rid of a BMW for my second Audi Q5/SQ5. To each their own.
Guess it all boils down to what you expect from a car.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by damnitBobby
lol sounds paradoxical
This is a small list of cars that the Porsche Cayenne SUV will out perform on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Nothing Paradoxical about it.
Nissan Skyline GT-R R33
Porsche 911 GT3 (996)
Audi R8 4.2 FSI quattro 2007
Alfa Romeo 4C
Porsche Cayman S
Porsche Boxter S
BMW M3 E92
Ford Focus RS
Mustang GT performance pack 2015
Audi RS4
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX
BMW 1M Coupe
Old 01-16-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Spoonie G
This is a small list of cars that the Porsche Cayenne SUV will out perform on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. Nothing Paradoxical about it.
Nissan Skyline GT-R R33
Porsche 911 GT3 (996)
Audi R8 4.2 FSI quattro 2007
Alfa Romeo 4C
Porsche Cayman S
Porsche Boxter S
BMW M3 E92
Ford Focus RS
Mustang GT performance pack 2015
Audi RS4
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo IX
BMW 1M Coupe
Can you elaborate on what you mean by 'outperform?"

Quick Reply: C&D Comparison Test - 2018 Audi SQ5 vs. 2017 Mercedes-AMG GLC43, 2017 Porsche Macan S