Q5/SQ5 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Second Generation Audi Q5 SUV

Crooked steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Interesting thread as this happened to me. Soon after picking my 2018 Q5 up from the dealership I noticed that on straight roads the car would veer right, so I had to keep the steering wheel turned ever so slightly to the left. After a couple of weeks I couldn't take it any longer so I brought it to the dealership. They did a song and dance as to how this wasn't a warranty item but as I said I had the issue when I first picked up the car, they would repair it for free (whatever). The good news is that the issue happened in mid-July and six months later my steering is as straight as can be.
Old 01-28-2019, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine had the same, two alignments later, done at 2.5k and 6k miles. Its virtually perfect 12k miles since the last alignment.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Sngtrkwr
Hello fellow Q5 owners. I need some help! I bought my 2018 Q5 and took delivery of it on 10/5/2018. From day one the steering wheel has never been completely straight and level when driving down a flat, straight road. When I first got the car the wheel was probably 2-3 degrees turned to the left. So if i drove down the road and held the steering wheel perfectly straight and level the car would turn to the right and eventually drive off the road. I took the car to my local Audi dealership (not the one i purchased the car at) and they begrudgingly did an alignment and told me that that was the cause of the steering wheel not being straight. I have a copy of the alignment report showing everything within acceptable tolerances. The tech made a point of telling me that the 'thrust' was out and that was the main cause. I then took the car out to a flat, straight road and lo and behold it was now 1-2 degrees to the right! I called Audi back and they insisted that it was straight and that they could not do anything further. Soooo, I lived with it for a while until it began bugging me again and then I took it to an independent auto shop and had them align it. Again, got the report that said everything was aligned but when i drove it it is now back to 1-2 degrees to the left. I even had the shop owner drive the car with me and he said he thought it was straight. He went on to tell me that due to the crown of the road the steering wheel is going to be slightly affected and turned which frankly i think is BS. I've driven cars for 32 years and never had this issue. I can tell you the car is perfectly aligned and drives straight as an arrow with no pulls in either direction BUT the steering wheel is not straight. Before people jump all over me I will admit that I am being hyper sensitive to this but I drive everyday alot and this is just stuck in my head. I am open to any and all suggestions. The dealership i bought the car from said to bring it in and they will do an alignment but I really don't think that will fix the problem. Hopefully someones got a solution before I lose my mind!

Thanks!
You are not alone, and you are not being hyper-sensitive. Many of us have the same issue. Like you, in 30+ years I have never had this issue. In another thread several folks said that the problem was totally the fault of MY dealer not doing a proper PDI. Using their logic it looks like quite a few dealers must not understand how to do a PDI. Interestingly enough, my dealer who also sells Porsche have had ZERO Macans come back with crooked steering wheels, but they have had around 20 Q5/SQ5 with the issue. Maybe someone from Audi can check and see if the MexiGerm QC guy needs a new prescription for his glasses? Maybe it was just the end of the shift. BTW, my crooked steering wheel is easily noticed just by the position of the crossbar section and has nothing to do with the fact that it is a flat-bottomed wheel. Some have theorized that the flat bottom on the SQ5 made it more noticeable, which is not necessarily true. Others have mentioned the crown built into most roads. I, and many others with the problem, have driven on roads with crowns, roads without crowns, in the wrong lane on some deserted road, with a right crosswind, with a left crosswind, etc, and the steering wheel is definitely crooked. We have a 2018 S3 and a 2018 R8 V10+ with virtually the same steering wheel as our 2019 SQ5 and they are straight regardless of the road. There is a systemic problem here, and for some to blame it on your dealer not properly prepping your car is weak, as they should not be arriving this way. It is necessary for the car to go on an alignment rack to correct this, and some have indicated having trouble getting it covered as a warranty item, so for any of those folks reading this I would suggest letting your service writer know that it has been that way since you picked it up. Like yours, ours seems to be in general alignment, so I have delayed it until the first service on the car but it is documented as existing since delivery. You might try going to a different dealership for a new alignment using different equipment. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2019, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I picked up my 2018 Q5 at the end of December. Was in the honeymoon phase and didn’t notice the steering wheel until recently, when I took it on the highway for the first time. I’ll be taking it to the dealership for an alignment soon. Since this seems to be an error on Audi Mexico plant’s part in QC, the dealership should cover the cost of the alignment? Has anyone had to pay for theirs to be realigned?
Old 02-08-2019, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 60 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Audi4Minca
I picked up my 2018 Q5 at the end of December. Was in the honeymoon phase and didn’t notice the steering wheel until recently, when I took it on the highway for the first time. I’ll be taking it to the dealership for an alignment soon. Since this seems to be an error on Audi Mexico plant’s part in QC, the dealership should cover the cost of the alignment? Has anyone had to pay for theirs to be realigned?
My dealer picked up the cost but not without a song and dance of how it’s not a covered item but because I said it was like that when I picked it up, it would be free. Whatever.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Positive update!

So I was all set to take my Q5 back to the dealer that sold it to me and have them align it, again. Instead a body shop that I trust recommended a local tire sales/install shop for an alignment so very skeptically I brought it to them yesterday. 20 minutes and $85 later the steering wheel is straight! The tech who did it said 'that would have driven me crazy!' about how off it was. He also said they get the specs for alignment from the VIN number and not a generic set of specs for an Audi for example. I don't know enough about alignments to know if this is true or just a line but regardless, they got it straight! So don't give up if your Q has a crooked steering wheel. At this point I have no confidence in a dealer being able to correct this issue and would tell anyone with the problem to find a really great local shop and spend the money to get it right.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Positive update as well

Took my 2018 Q5 in for an alignment Friday. I’ve got 1600 miles on it. I told my service tech it’s been like that since I bought it, so I didn’t think I should be charged to get it fixed. When everything was said and done they said it was definitely off and the fix was covered under the 12month/10,000 mile warranty for “adjustments”. I’m MUCH happier with their alignment job.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:31 PM
FPF
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I posted this May of 2018, I guess it’s still an issue

There’s another thread on this called “SQ5 Alignment Issues.” You should search it. Here’s what I wrote there.

I had this problem as well. The link by Gizmo607 speaks mostly of offcenter steering wheel accompanied with an obvious need for wheel alignment (car pulls to one side). I had this issue, the wheel was slightly off center but I had no real pull to either side, the car would track straight.
I took it to the dealer and they had the car for 10 days. I was getting a BS run around story on why it as taking so long. I finally got to talk to the lead mechanic. Here is what he said ( as best I understand and remember it) >>> while doing a four wheel alignment they had difficulty. He called the Regional Audi tech rep to discuss. He said a “D” shaped washer in the rear suspension did not have enough travel to adjust properly. He flipped the washer over and he said the alignment numbers were then good. The mechanic checked other Q5’s on the lot and they were all the same orientation (not flipped).
You may have the same issue.
Heres the kicker. After all this the wheel was still off center. The mechanic did another alignment and finally the wheel (and alignment) was true. His comment was” I make a really small adjustment. didn’t think it was that sensitive.”